TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
23,568 Posts
Admiral made this video from one of the my group rides that brings back many fond memories of good times with good people.
After spending the night at my place we launch on about a 90 mile round trip taking in half a dozen or so sub-alpine lakes and a few wet spots.:cool:
I should really put together something like this again for TW friends both new and old.

Admiral and Lori received the TW Traveling Award of Distinction Trophy once back at the ranch. It helped that we had cake too!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Returning from my occasional part time gig {about 30 miles from my home} or heading that way, I take camera with me just in case I see a weather {Sunrise, Full Moon, Lightning, etc.} or wildlife photo opportunity...over the last couple of days I spotted a doe checking me and the Jeep out from a nearby grassy hill, and a young Red Fox stopped for just a moment last night on my way home, before scurrying off into a nearby field...
Plant Ecoregion Deer Natural landscape Grassland
Rodent Whiskers Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Since the Adventure Photo Thread has been rather quite, even with over 6000 views...Hoot decided to add some of his sketching {with the help of my online editor, I sure don't have the patience or time for hard core sketching, photography yes, hard work sketching, not so much} ...Here goes, the first 3 are from my 2015 Moab Collection {with more to come} and we will see how it goes from here...

{1} View from the KOA, where Hoot, Montezuma, Borneo, Weasel, ZDiver, Jim, and others spent their 10 days...living in comfort, sort of, if not for Montezuma Snoring, and a passel of folks passing gas... 🙀

{2} Heading out to Kane Creek and here I pass "Pecker Point" or was it "Pecker Pass"? Regardless, ZDiver gave it the apt name: :sneaky:

{3} @ the KOA site, with Ol' Blue and Hoot...

More to come...all sketches, unless otherwise listed, are from my personal collections
Art paint Ecoregion Vertebrate Nature Paint

Art Painting Landscape Grass Rural area

Headgear Hat Art Wrinkle Beard

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
883 Posts
Great stuff, Hoot! Really nice work. (y)

Wd be curious to know if this was all done with traditional mediums, or any of it was done with digital tools. Awesome, either way.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Great stuff, Hoot! Really nice work. (y)

Wd be curious to know if this was all done with traditional mediums, or any of it was done with digital tools. Awesome, either way.
Digital...just like most of my photos, Ol' Hoot just ain't that talented by hand...I always need help...:oops:

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Moab 2015...The KOA Kabin 18 Crew plus one...

L to R

Paul {Zdiver}, Borneo {The Judge} Weasel {Spencer} Montezuma {Nick} and Hoot {pat} ...what a time, what a crew...

Some changes in those 6 plus years...Zdiver is about 100 pounds less, Borneo went from Lawyer to County Judge, Spencer is now 3 plus years married, meanwhile Montezuma and Hoot? Just getting older, at 71 and 72 years and still kicking/riding{on occasion}:cool:

Sleeve Denim Art Pattern Hat

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Collection of the Northern Everglades and Loop Road from yesteryear....Growing up in Southwest Florida, 1953-63, I can attest that Florida, Sadly, is nothing today like it was 65 years ago, Hell it's nothing like it was 20 years ago...way overcrowded, frankly too damn many people. My youngest sister and her world class Chef husband Denmark Mike, live in Naples, a town that was maybe 1000 people in 1950, not so much anymore, more like 50,000 and that is just city proper...however once you get south of Naples and take the Tamiami Trail {US 41} towards the Everglades, things get much less crowded and better...at least until you get towards Miami and the cutoff to the Keys.

I get back every year or two and usually spend much of my time either beer drinking, cigar smoking, off my Sister and Mike's Dock, out in the boat with him, or pet sitting while they jet off to his homeland...the rest of the time, I spend in the northern reaches of the Glades or Everglades City....the next few posts are from my some of my visits from 2006 thru October 2019:

Here We Go: A hint if you visit...SUV type 4WD vehicles are fine for Loop Road and other non paved surfaces, however, if you are looking to stay on trail but off the grid, so to speak, a Jeep Wranger, like mine, type vehicle or the TW are what you want... don't let the Gators scare you off, just don't get to close... 🙀

I will try to limit this to 5 or 6 photos each post...my goal, depending on how life of a 72 year old goes, is to travel back down to Venice, Naples, and the Glades, around early November, the weather should cool off and usually is Hurricane Free and Dryer...

{1} The Beginnings of Loop Road off US 41 perhaps 50 miles south and east of Naples, the old tourist trap Monroe Station was burned down a couple years ago, that was the signal of the beginning of Loop Road, so you have to keep an eye peeled these days...{2} A Sea Plane flying above the Glades heading toward the Ten Thousand Island Chain and likely Naples...{3} A good size Gator, not the biggest I've come across, greets me at the Loop Road Ditch. Gators are no longer "endangered" however, idiots dropping snakes the size of a large Gator have been invading the habitat in the past few decades. Damn Human's ruin a lot these days...Florida is one of those things. {4} A Marsh Hawk checking the ground for rodents along Loop Road...October 2019 the weather was unusually hot and humid, and the wildlife was nothing compared to my previous visit to the Glades in December 2017 when a Cool Front was in play...photos are from both times and some from February 2006 as well. (5} Loop Road Map as it winds towards Dade/Miami, there is a Bar, of sorts, to quench your thirst...{6} Backwater area off Loop Road...

More to come...if you're interested...I know some of our Western Guys and Canadians have never visited the Everglades, but if you get the chance, even take a Airboat Ride, a good way to check out the Glades with competent guides.

Back Later...

Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape Road surface

Sky Atmosphere Ecoregion Aircraft Airplane
Water Plant Terrestrial plant Liquid Grass
Cloud Sky Bird Plant Beak
Rectangle Slope Land lot Font Line
Water Plant Water resources Sky Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
So many great trips with fellow Dubbers.. ready for more, been to long!

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hoot,
Thanks for the memories. Born and raised in SW Dade Co. Not much around us then, but was starting to explode when I left in '72. Only been back a handful of times since. You're right, too many damn people. Nothing like it was when I was growing up. Last time there was for my uncle's funeral 8-9 years ago. Didn't recognize the homeplace. Had been bulldozed and replaced with a subdivision. Took a day trip out to the Glades, Monroe Station appeared deserted. The buggy club compound was still there behind it. I remember our Scout Troop working garbage detail at the Wild Hog Jamboree back in the 60's. Never made it to the top of the greased pole, but had lots of fun trying.

Mike

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
More Everglades Photos 2006-2019...Wildlife, for now, despite the treaspassing of human and dropped off "Invaders" from humans, is still abundant in the Glades. {1} Gar Fish...{2} Blue Heron, Hell nothing unusual about that, we have hundreds right here on Grand Lake...{3} Brilliant Sunset over and off the Gulf, love these type shots...{4} More Glades just off Loop Road...{5} Yellow Pelican getting his resting place ready for the night, above any dangers on the ground...{6} Everglades City, yep it is starting to grow, but for now it's still a small part of what's left of "Real Florida" ...

More Later...

Water Underwater Fin Fish Marine biology
Bird Plant Plant community Water Vertebrate
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Atmosphere
Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Cloud
Bird Sky Plant Branch Twig
Plant Sky Property World Tree

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
And yet more from Southwest/Everglades Florida...Bored Yet? :oops:

{1} A couple of Everglade Gators sunning themselves back in 2017...{2} A sign at the meeting place of Government Bigshots and the Seminole Leaders that took place back in the 1930s...the Tribe to the Bigwigs to "Leave us alone" ... more people need to tell the current crop of BureauRats to do the same these days...{3} The Seminole Meeting House ruins along US 41 {Tamiami Trail} {4} Humans again, like the Boas idiots are dropping these Iguanas off when they become to big to handle, and the guys are left to defend for themselves, which they do nicely...this big guy was hanging around my little sister's Lanai on her Gulf Channel, I was sipping a beer and we checked each other out..{5} A pair of Osprey nesting in December 2017 along a back water channel while I was boating with my Brother in Law...{6} Everglade Vulture...{7} When in Florida I usually hook up with old friends from my childhood, or guys that now live in the Sunshine State. Here are a couple of photos from me and Johnny C, in October 2019 and from October 1969 at a Nha Trang, Vietnam, Steakhouse Overlooking the City...even in a War Zone, some of us Air Force Guys did get out and about...:cool: John and our wives hooked up at one of our Vietnam Reunions a few years back...after nearly 50 years, still great friends after all those decades...and finally Hoot doing what he does best when not riding or driving in the Glades...sitting on my sister and Denmark Mike's Dock, fishing, drinking a beer {or 3} and smoking a fine cigar...while they were in Europe and Denmark, Hoot was house and pet sitting...life is good!
Water Crocodile Nile crocodile American crocodile Alligator
Plant Plant community Leaf Natural environment Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Rectangle Natural landscape
Plant Botany Vegetation Terrestrial plant Grass
Bird Sky Bird nest Twig Beak
Bird Phasianidae Plant Beak Terrestrial plant
Smile Head Plant Tree Mammal
Military uniform Military person Gesture Headgear Marines
Glasses Goggles Vision care Water Sunglasses

Yes indeed, regardless of age, you make your own "Adventures"

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
West Virginia and Southeast Ohio Halloween Weekend 2015...4 days, 3 nights, 800 miles...{L to R} Montezuma, Borneo, Hoot, at the end of the ride...what a riding season 2015 was...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Military uniform

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Yesterday the fog rolled in so I didn't get up and head for the lake...Today? Well a bit hazy with some clouds, but I strapped the Camera Back Pack on and headed on Ol' Blue for the South End of Grand Lake anyway...didn't find much of a Sunrise to shoot, but after finishing a coffee {large} I waited on some Wildlife {Flying Kind} to arrive and eventually was rewarded...Some Large White Pelicans {not to be confused with the smaller Yellow Pelicans} have adopted Grand Lake as their home, at least 9 months of the year...and a passel of Young Bald Eagles, those under 5 years old without the White Heads, came a calling...Eagles, in their youth, are almost all brown from head to tail, the White comes along between 4 and 5 years of age...

So here we go...

{1} Well usually you try to get the Eagles, or any birds to be flying right at you for effect...this guy turned "tail" and I got only the Rear View as it headed into a tree stand...{2} With low light on the long distance shots sometimes you gotta improvise...so another Young Juvenile Eagle crossed my path skimming over the Lake Water ...sometimes you have to make due or is it do?? O' Well sometimes you have to filter the Hell out of photos to make them come out and that is what I did with the next two "Blue" Eagle Silhouette photos. 3 and 4...
Bird Accipitridae Beak Plant Twig

Water Water resources Atmosphere Sky Natural landscape

Bird Sky Accipitridae Beak Azure

Cloud Bird Sky Atmosphere Blue

For Shots 5, 6, and 7...of the White Pelicans, I used a combo of filters, and long distance lens, to capture them in the Gloam...

That's All for Today...

Water Bird Vertebrate Beak White Pelican

Bird Water Atmosphere Sky Tree

Water Cloud Sky Atmosphere Water resources

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I got back out to Grand Lake this morning...despite the heavy fog in the trees and on the lake's waters, the Eagles were flying...I managed to snap this young Juvenile as it sored over my head...

Bird Sky Accipitridae Falcon Carnivore

81 - 100 of 120 Posts