TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have been thinking of these since they put it up on kickstarter last year. The original idea was just a simple bicycle like rolling chassis and you had to get a crf50 or similar bike and put them together. They came a long way in a short time. Now all you have to do is decide which horizontal engine you want. One of these will inevitably end up in my garage.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Okay, here goes...

No TW-Brian, no, no, no. Don't buy that thing, because if you do, you might have a fun attack!

And especially make sure you don't get the fat tire one. That one looks sure to put you into a joy coma.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I quite like the general concept - a ridiculously light weight, nimble, well suspended, small-engineed dirt bike that can be ridden on the street. However, I'd honestly rather do away with the bicycle pedals and have traditional moto foot pegs mounted. I would hate having to move my foot forward off the rotating bicycle pedal to have to shift gears. To me that just doesn't seem practical. I mean I'm sure it'd be fun to mess around on just for kicks, but this particular model isn't something I'd ever shell out big bucks for. What I really want is something like that but with a 125 Honda four stroke engine and a more motorcycle-esque foot peg-shifter arrangement. And of course a license plate!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I know its not that hard to add an engine, but am I the only one who thinks its a retarded business model to sell a motorcycle without a motor? And honestly how much pedalling do you think anyone is really going to do? I have a moped that ive put alot of miles on, and ive never pedalled it ever. Awesome concept with a couple fatal flaws, which is unfortunate because the idea is one that could really set the world on fire. Also from what I read it seems like that company is just getting going and I would be somewhat skeptical of the durability of basically a bicycle getting pushed around by a 150cc or better engine?

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know its not that hard to add an engine, but am I the only one who thinks its a retarded business model to sell a motorcycle without a motor? And honestly how much pedalling do you think anyone is really going to do? I have a moped that ive put alot of miles on, and ive never pedalled it ever. Awesome concept with a couple fatal flaws.
Here are my thoughts on this:

-There are many fewer restrictions/regulations for selling a kit. A complete motorcycle would have to meet all the state and federal regulations regarding emissions, safety equipment, etc.
-There are so many engine options that are available for these types of bikes, it would be prohibitive to try and offer a complete lineup of engines, transmissions, carbs, etc. Much easier to let the buyer select his own engine configuration. For example, I am looking for a black, fully or semi-automatic 4-speed with a bottom mounted electric starter.
-In California at least, there needs to fully operative pedals in order to meet the definition of a moped/motorized bicycle. A moped/motorized bicycle does not require registration and can be ridden on the street just like a bicycle. If you don't want or need the pedals, they also offer a footpeg version.

Brian

·
Registered
229 Posts
DOWNGRADING you R > might work if your plane was so small that's all that would fit in it

1 - 20 of 37 Posts