TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive got 100 miles on the new 225 6 speed motor now. Unfortunately Ive got an oil leak. Near as I can tell the leak seems to be coming from the neutral safety switch. Unfortunately that thing is under the left side cover. I also am a little bummed because the copper crush washer was new when that switch went in 100 miles ago. Its not a bad leak, but I dont really want it to ever turn into more and I dont really like things to drip/leak so Im gonna tackle it soon at the first oil change. My question is whats been folks experience with reusing side gaskets. its also new during the rebuild. It may be safer to just throw a new one on while Im at it and avoid causing another possible leak, but I hate to just toss a new gasket after only 100 miles. Has anyone else ever had that seal on the neutral switch leak? I was surprised to see that there.

Registered
It all depends upon the gaskets condition when you remove the side cover. If it comes apart with the gasket in tact then I would re use it. My experience has always been that one part sticks on the engine side and other parts stick on the cover and it rips. Any way it goes leaks do suck and being my anal self I have to get them fixed. If I were you I would absolutely have a new side cover gasket on hand so you don't have to wait for it. Also try to be absolutely certain the neutral switch is the culprit so you don't have to do it again.

Good Luck

GaryL

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
so the leak is coming out from under the left side cover. I can see through a little gap that the neutral switch has oil all around it. I suppose the source could actually be the side cover over the top of the switch. in either case the left cover is coming off again. I really hope that leak isnt also coming from the center case junction, but I dont think so. Im gueesing a couple more short rides will help make it more obvious.

Registered
so the leak is coming out from under the left side cover. I can see through a little gap that the neutral switch has oil all around it. I suppose the source could actually be the side cover over the top of the switch. in either case the left cover is coming off again. I really hope that leak isnt also coming from the center case junction, but I dont think so. Im gueesing a couple more short rides will help make it more obvious.
Back in my time as the GM at a MC/ATV shop the mechanic had a fluid he could add to the oil that was designed to show up under a black light. He would wash off any existing leaked oil and run the bike or engine for a while with the detection fluid in it and be able to shine the black light to see where the leak was coming from. It sure worked great for these types of leaks but I have no idea how expensive the kit might be.

GaryL

Registered
....................Has anyone else ever had that seal on the neutral switch leak?..................
I didn't have the copper gasket leak but I have twice had the neutral switch leak -- on different TW's.

Oil leaked from where red arrows are pointing. The switch was around $25 to $30 so make sure it is the problem before you buy one.

P1300824.JPG

Registered
I didn't have the copper gasket leak but I have twice had the neutral switch leak -- on different TW's.

Oil leaked from where red arrows are pointing. The switch was around $25 to $30 so make sure it is the problem before you buy one.

View attachment 20070
Most excellent observation Elime! Tell us if there is a tiny O ring that can be replaced or if the switch is a pressed fit and can't be repaired?

GaryL

Registered
BMW airheads have a simular problem. It is fixable, more or less. remove sender and clean off
any oil. Coat surface with JB weld. Problem is getting epoxy to stick on used sender due to oil.
Often techs will coat a new sender with epoxy as this is a known problem. Secret to reusing side
cover gaskets is to only use sealant on the cover, if you feel compelled to use sealant. I do as it
makes job easier but it's not required. Teflon tape on the threads might help too but be careful
about over tightening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts