TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one at my local shop.....but he wanted $3995 for a 2 year old one with over 2000 miles on it. You can buy them all day long for $3999 brand new with warranty. Called the closest Yamaha dealer and he expected to have a couple of 2017's in this week. My name is on one of them!
I have been lurking around here for a bit. Seems like everyone richens them up a bit to cure the EPA leanness....other than that, what are some of the must do's? Are they geared tall as well. This is going to be my wifes bike for fire roading and gentle trail rides in W Oregon and the back country of Eastern Oregon. We are at 400 feet elevation and would goof around from there on up to 4-5000 feet.

I will probably use it to go to town and back as well.....the claimed 78 mpg sounds great! I plan on this bike never seeing a drop of gas with ethanol in it. Premium non-ethanol has been around a while here. My station told me that they were going to start carrying non-ethanol Regular grade fuel soon.

Getting excited to add this bike to the stable!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome. I have rejetted ours because of aftermarket pipes. We are getting @ 65mpg off road and road because of that and lower gearing. Who cares 60-78mpg these things are fun to ride.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went out for a good portion of the day on Sunday. Filled up and kept track and refilled after the ride. 77.6 US mpg. (3.03L/100km)
Most of that was running 80km/h secondary roads (say 53mph) and some slow dirt roads and a little bit of trail old railbed). I'd have done more trail but on Saturday some places around here got the equivalent of 2 months rain so things were pretty wet.
I did keep track the last few times I was out and while I forget the exact numbers, it was always over 70.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I get a out 100 miles per tank with a bit more than reserve left or about 60 to 65 mpg. Add hand gaurds and a new front tire and you are pretty capable off trail. Those two mods will save you a lever or two and some white knuckle riding making you think the bike is less than capable. You can then choose your next series of mods to suit your style and climate as needed! O ring chain, racks, foot pegs, lighting, bar risers, all sorts of fun farkling lies ahead!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I read the Death Wing posts, thought, 'whatever' and got my 2015 TW last fall. Granted the weather was pretty wet my first few times out, but it seemed to want to just slide. Any little parallel ridges and would either not climb up them or slide down off them... It's not like it washed out every 20'.....but even driving like a grandma, it felt like it just wasn't planted.
Got a Shinko 241 under the tree in December, and it's a completely different bike. I would surmise that the Shinko 241 isn't necessarily that AMAZING, it's just that the Death Wing is so BAD, anything good feels GREAT. I'd say that the other popular tires would be just as good...but only having experience with the 241, I love it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have a ktm 500 exc.....
ahhh, so nice. Seems like a lot of TW owners have a KTM as well. Or went from a KTM to the Tdub.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Factory is a Bridgestone "Trail Wing" Size: 130/80-18 (130mm wide, 80% of that applied to the height)
You can't put the 'same size' back on, as they don't come in p-metric sizing. (I think that's the term..)
There's two options for the 241, 3.50x18 or 4.00x18 I went with the 4.00x18, as did most people if I remember right from when I was researching.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Trail Wing" I see where the Death Wing moniker comes from now! Haha! Thanks.
Thank you for the size info as well..i think I will take the advice someone in this thread offered and get a better tire from the get go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts