TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I stated before I am new at this off roading motorcycle stuff. In early April I did around a thirty mile ride that was all off road and bumpy. When I got home I noticed that my tailbone was extremely sore. I went on vacation for three weeks and didn't ride but my tailbone still hurt. It was bad enough that it hurt to roll over when sleeping at night. I looked up a bunch of stuff online and came to the consensus that I have to just suck it up. I decided to throw caution to the wind today and doubled up on my Lortab and rode for 120 miles off road today. It was a great but painful ride. I laid the bike down once today trying to climb a steep rock which I never should have been trying to climb. I was almost stopped so my pride was hurt more than my body. Anyway by the time I got home I could hardly walk. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they do what they do to curb it. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow but am sure he will just tell me to quit riding :) I found a website that explains how to re-foam your seat to help with overall comfort and has a cut out where your tailbone sits. I'd have to buy all the foam and vinyl but maybe that is the next thing I will try.

Anyway, sorry for rambling just wanting some pain relief.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I've ridden 250 miles or so in the last two days and I feel Fine. You might need to see a Dr., if you stay sore for that long you may have something else going on.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
So as I stated before I am new at this off roading motorcycle stuff. In early April I did around a thirty mile ride that was all off road and bumpy. When I got home I noticed that my tailbone was extremely sore. I went on vacation for three weeks and didn't ride but my tailbone still hurt. It was bad enough that it hurt to roll over when sleeping at night. I looked up a bunch of stuff online and came to the consensus that I have to just suck it up. I decided to throw caution to the wind today and doubled up on my Lortab and rode for 120 miles off road today. It was a great but painful ride. I laid the bike down once today trying to climb a steep rock which I never should have been trying to climb. I was almost stopped so my pride was hurt more than my body. Anyway by the time I got home I could hardly walk. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they do what they do to curb it. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow but am sure he will just tell me to quit riding :) I found a website that explains how to re-foam your seat to help with overall comfort and has a cut out where your tailbone sits. I'd have to buy all the foam and vinyl but maybe that is the next thing I will try.

Anyway, sorry for rambling just wanting some pain relief.

Sorry to hear that. I broke my tailbone twice over the last 40 years and it can be painful for a long long time. The last time I did it, it hurt for about 10 years. If I was sitting on anything for more than just a minute or two, I would have sharp pain when I would get up, then a dull ache forever. Modifying your seat would help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Seat Concepts. Best $ i've spent. Can do 10hrs on the bike if i need to (and i have). Wide pegs as well to make standing more comfortable. TIM

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have a seat off a 1500 kawasaki, it is wide and I think I can modify it to fit the tw. Going to take a look at it tomorrow after taking the seat off the tw. As I don't have anyone to ride with me as she has her own, the thought of making a rack from the tank to include the seat and a gastank/backrest with some room behind for extras might be a fun thing to do. If I make it so the modification and the old seat can be changed without much trouble would be a plus. As the kawaski system is a two piece, driver, passenger system, should be able to put something together. Don't do any standup riding so don't have to worry about riding bowlegged lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see the doctor at 3:30 tomorrow. I'll let you know what he says.

I'll have to look into seat concepts. It would be fun to try and modify it myself but sometimes it is better to just pay for good quality.

That's a good idea modifying a seat you like onto your bike. I'll have to see what I have lying around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also have a Seat Concepts on a different bike. I received it for a Christmas gift this past December. Although I haven't used it yet, the people at Seat Concepts were great. They said they would make it based on my weight and preference, but they also said if it didn't work for me, send it back and they would redo it with more/less dense foam. Sorry, I don't know anything about "foam science." For what it's worth, one of my riding buddies also makes seats. He's in our local club/forum. He's made numerous seats for different members, we call them "Wacked Seats." (That's his forum handle) He works in the prosthetic field so he does know what he's doing. If interested, PM me. Otherwise, I've only good things about Seat Concepts. LD

·
Registered
310 Posts
The TW feels like the seat is declined when I'm on it (I weigh 160 lbs) and my hind end starts to hurt after about 5 minutes. Most of the bikes I have ridden in the past have flat bench seats (parallel twins from the 60s-70s as well as vintage Vespas) so I'm used to a really upright seating position with a flat seat under me. The TW has the upright position licked, but the seat feels like I'm on a hill. Also the foam rubber is really stiff which I like, but it sets my butt on fire after about 10 minutes in the saddle. I find myself standing on the pegs and shaking my butt pretty often. I'm still young enough that I don't want a goofy looking AirHawk or other pad on my bike and I'm going to suck it up.

I have horrible posture and am swaybacked from all the slouching I have done in chairs over the years. The TW gives me lower back pain pretty quickly as well. I'd do better if the seat was inlined as opposed to declined. I also ride goofy in that I like to sit back further than I should. I sit on the grab strap and I'm only 5'9" tall and have a 32" inseam. I think Yamaha designed the bike to have the driver sit up closer to the gas tank.. But it's my bad posture.. I ride lazily hunched over.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
I had the same problem. Tailbone hurt so bad after riding I could hardly walk. I went with the seat Concepts seat and it made a huge difference. I also use a air cushion on top of that I made from the pillowtop of a old air mattress. I just cut it off of the mattress and strapped it down on top of the seat. I can go for hours and hours now. Seat Concepts is the way to go. I also tried the padded bicycle shorts with the tail bone pad. They helped alittle but not much. I think it's part bad riding posture as well.

Tracy

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I also have a hunch that the rear shock on the TW200 is sprung VERY stiff compared to the blown out shocks of my vintage 70s street bikes.

I do leatherwork as a hobby, so I could probably come up with a kidney belt of my own design as well. It used to be part of the whole biker uniform in the 1940s. Everyone had a decorative kidney belt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went to the doctor's and they just told me to live with it or quit riding. I'm obviously not going to quit riding. I rode my Harley for a while tonight and didn't feel any pain which leads me to believe that it is the seat. I'll start trying to figure out what to do. Maybe the Harley seat will fit the TW

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
So I went to the doctor's and they just told me to live with it or quit riding. I'm obviously not going to quit riding. I rode my Harley for a while tonight and didn't feel any pain which leads me to believe that it is the seat. I'll start trying to figure out what to do. Maybe the Harley seat will fit the TW
Glad it's nothing but the seat getting to you. There are some good idea's here, one of them will surely help.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Last evening I took a seat that fit a 1500 kawasaki and put it on my tw just to check and see how it would look/feel. I sit a bit forward, but not bad and can still stand up without any problems. With the single it gives a bit more room for luggage. Am going to work on it this weekend and see what I can come up with to put it on and incorporate a backrest. At 65 I don't need fast, just comfortable. That nice seat covering my whole backside sure feels a lot better than the yamaha rail.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you want to modify your seat yourself I found this. http://www.kemmlerpr.../products1.html it's shock gell that riders use to fix hard seats. Doesn't look that hard to do to a motorcycle seat.
I think putting in a gel insert would help a lot. There's a lot of places to get kits or just the gel. Here's a couple links showing do it yourself installation...Text....video.....video . An advantage to installing it yourself is that you can change the slant in addition to installing a gel insert.

I changed covers on my seat and took the opportunity to make my seat softer by adding a quick 1/2" layer of firm carpet padding. It is a big improvement but I think a gel insert would be better. It should be a fairly easy job but an air stapler will probably be needed to firmly plant the staples. There's some pics about 3/4 of the way down this thread.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I think putting in a gel insert would help a lot.

It did! I put one just like this: http://shop.gelcushionsgelpadsandgelmats.com/CONFORMAX-Motorcycle-Seat-Gel-Pad-Small-TR-CPMC-SMTR.htm in my seat after just a few months of sore butt. I did some fitting to determine the placement by just throwing it on the seat and going for short rides. It's kinda slippery, so you can't move around much or it will fall off. Throw a towel over it for the testing.

Once that was done, I pulled enough staples to get the cover partway off towards the front, rechecked positioning, traced out the pad with marker pen, used a utility knife to slit the foam along the mark to the exact depth of the pad, then slit multiple times in that area to remove most of the foam, leaving a jaggy bottomed inset with clean vertical sides.

Now comes the fun part: Using an electric drill with a 3" wire brush, clean up the jaggy remnants and sculpt a perfect receptacle for your butt, complete with two gentle hollows for the sitz bones and one for the Coccyx. Take plenty of time and do multiple tests of the inletting until it's just right. Be careful not to let the wire wheel get too close to the vertical sides or the new pad won't fit nice and tight. Have a shop vac handy for the foam particles, it's rather messy.

Pull the cover back on and re-staple. I didn't use a gun, I just carefully put the staples back in their original holes with a pair of needlenose pliers. Two years later the cover is still holding. I didn't even glue it in, not much will stick to the gel. If you are careful about the inletting you will not even feel the transition between foam and gel.

There is an old thread here about all this: http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/6903-gel-seat-mod-anyone-done-this-to-their-tw/

I just found the original maker of my pad again and that's the link above. Having a two part pad really seems better, IMHO.

If you are not comfortable doing this yourself you can buy the gel pad and take it to a custom seat maker. Also, the seat can be widened, re-sloped, whatever.

One consideration of gel pads is that they will get hotter than foam if left in the sun long, but I solved that problem by putting an old piece of white sheepskin over the whole seat. Very comfortable and breathable into the high 90's.

Total Cost: $40

1 - 20 of 35 Posts