1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
20,157 Posts
Sure. Time for federal recognition of medicinal benefits. Less likelihood of adverse side effects compared to massively dosing with ibuprofen or opiates for chronic pain management.

·
Registered
762 Posts
No.

Government now wants marijuana promoted, because it makes the populace inert and stupified.

I'd rather not carry the discussion further because it will get nowhere. But I'll close it this way: Marijuana use, legal and otherwise, has just EXPLODED.

The level of stupidity in our culture, by media, government, professionals, and individuals doing shockingly-irresponsible things, has ALSO exploded.

Coincidence? I think not.

I won't argue causation; but I feel sure there's correlation.

</word>

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
The trouble with being "stoned" - is that you can't remember if you've posted several threads on this subject before ......... :tongue8:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You know what?? I'll chime in on this one. Having lived in Menocino county, a part of the infamous "Emerald Triangle" for pretty much my entire life, IMHO I feel I have a unique if not better perspective on the entire issue of marijuana and it's impacts, social, financial, political, physical, you name it.

And instead of going into a lengthy diatribe / explanation I will easily sum up the entire thing with two words: Individual Responsibility. How about two more: Use / Misuse.

So should the VA script cannabis? Yes, as it will be no different than anything else the VA scripts, & how it will ultimately be used by the recipient. m.

·
Registered
762 Posts
There are real benefits to Marijuana and I would rather deal with a dude that is stoned rather than a drunk.
Two problems with this - and yes, I'm violating my own rule above.

First, the pharmacological actions are far different.

Second, it's short-term impairment versus long-term.

Drunks are over it in hours. Potheads, although the EUPHORIA passes in hours, the impairment remains as long as the drug is in the blood stream, and thus affecting the neurochemistry of the brain.

And most potheads are using again before the body clears. Which is why potheads typically appear unfocused and, frankly, STUPID. ("Hey, dood...yer harshin my mellow!!")

Drunks are a survivable problem in Western civilization - we have had beverage alcohol as long as we've had civilization.

Pot, on the other hand, has NEVER been present in a rising advanced civilization; and when introduced into a mature civilization, it arrests social progress - and, as in parts of Europe, causes regression.

Romans drank wine. Africans smoked ganga. Modern Arabs chew qat, which has much the same effect.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Take a look at the figures - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_cannabis_use_by_country

And while we’re at it, given that we are now a “family forum” — why is one of the mods promoting potentially illegal drug use ?

Do we now have someone’s kid smoking a spliff because he had a headache, and excusing it by pointing at threads like this and saying - “They said it was OK” ?

Do you trust a young child to make the distinction between medical dope, and dope for medical reasons (eg pain relief) ?

“Scuffed your knee son ? — here, have a toke on this” ……….

You’re in a position of responsibility now littletommy — you need to be mindful of what you recommend - and of your potential audience’s chance of misunderstanding the “finer points”

Sure — “we” get it — but we’re not the only ones who use this forum ………

(No disrespect - "just sayin'")

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Purple -
Maybe that's what happens when a bunch of adults having a forum decide little Bosco and Grannie May should come in and play, watch & listen?
When my son was little I didn't take him in bars and plop his little butt up at the bar.
Same reason...there were adults talking.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Two problems with this - and yes, I'm violating my own rule above.

First, the pharmacological actions are far different.

Second, it's short-term impairment versus long-term.

Drunks are over it in hours. Potheads, although the EUPHORIA passes in hours, the impairment remains as long as the drug is in the blood stream, and thus affecting the neurochemistry of the brain.

And most potheads are using again before the body clears. Which is why potheads typically appear unfocused and, frankly, STUPID. ("Hey, dood...yer harshin my mellow!!")

Drunks are a survivable problem in Western civilization - we have had beverage alcohol as long as we've had civilization.

Pot, on the other hand, has NEVER been present in a rising advanced civilization; and when introduced into a mature civilization, it arrests social progress - and, as in parts of Europe, causes regression.

Romans drank wine. Africans smoked ganga. Modern Arabs chew qat, which has much the same effect.
I will not argue the use of weed as for recreational purpose. To me it is the same as booze or tobacco. But the medical side of it is proven to help with more than aches and pains.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Take a look at the figures - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_cannabis_use_by_country

And while we’re at it, given that we are now a “family forum” — why is one of the mods promoting potentially illegal drug use ?

Do we now have someone’s kid smoking a spliff because he had a headache, and excusing it by pointing at threads like this and saying - “They said it was OK” ?

Do you trust a young child to make the distinction between medical dope, and dope for medical reasons (eg pain relief) ?

“Scuffed your knee son ? — here, have a toke on this” ……….

You’re in a position of responsibility now littletommy — you need to be mindful of what you recommend - and of your potential audience’s chance of misunderstanding the “finer points”

Sure — “we” get it — but we’re not the only ones who use this forum ………

(No disrespect - "just sayin'")
The distinction Sir is that (at least to me) there is a debate going on right now about the VA using medical marijuana to treat veterans across the nation. Now as long as people use reason and not project beliefs on people then that is ok. It is the personal attacks that people use (I won't lie and say that I have not done the same thing in the past) that got that other thread shut down.

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I posted the tread because it is a beneficial natural medicine and I think more folks would benefit from it in versus to having the heavier chemical drugs forced down them. It works for many things a little. I will be the first one to say that it is not a cure all as some might want you to believe; but it does help. Each State can do what they want with it; recreationally or medically. All I know is it helps me; and I would much rather use it than hydrocodone or any other drug. I never said here that I supported it in any other way besides medically. I still believe and use it taking the approach of "less is better", I don't use it until I need it during the day. And I only use enough to take the edge off, not get high. In fact; I don't get high at all from it; but I can feel some pain relief.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Our veterans deserve ANYTHING they need to help them out. And it would be a clear benefit. At the very least it can possibly help from the self medication of alcohol. Which by far has more negative results. And anyone with knowledge of this subject matter knows full well the results of self medication with alcohol. Smoke it if ya got'm vets

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just as quick side note... The closest I have come to trying MJ is working security at a Jimmy Buffett concert down in Texas in the late 90's when I was stationed at Fort Hood.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Anyone here see the movie "Idiocracy"
~ ~ ~ ~
The biggest issue is the doctors who will perscribe pain pills to any one,
You want to follow crime?
Follow pain pill perscriptions...
You want to follow poverty?
Follow pain pill perscriptions...
You want to follow high infant death rates in the USA?
Follow pain pill percriptions...
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I see a lot where I work and I dont like witnessing it,
Depressing,
IF the doctors of this country could get away from the LAWYERS, Maybe something sane could happen.
I good friend of mine starting to see my family doctor,
One doctor practice, He loved my doc.
He got his wife to go as well.
She HATED HIM ! ! !
She saw him and complained of knee pain,
My doctor responded in saying that she needed to lose 40 pounds before he would perscribe any pain meds.
was MAD ! ! !
So on this one,
I vote NO.
Peter B

·
Registered
976 Posts
The very real medicinal properties of cannabinoids are well documented. As Littletommy points out, it's no panacea but there are countless patients who have benefitted from medical marijuana use. The federal government is way behind the curve on this, they need to end the federal prohibition on cannabis altogether and allow VA doctors to prescribe any medicine they deem beneficial to their patients.

Of course, recreational marijuana should be legal as well, especially on the federal level since the federal government has no legitimate constitutional authority to prohibit or regulate it's production, sale, or use within a single state. Even a ban on interstate trade in marijuana strikes me as yet another gross abuse of the commerce clause for the sake of expanding illegitimate federal power.

I fully understand and appreciate that there are many Americans who have no interest in marijuana use, recreational or otherwise, but part of living in a free society is leaving your neighbors free to make their own choices and live their lives as they see fit, so that you may remain free to do the same. Nobody is proposing that the legalization of recreational marijuana should be mandatory in its implementation. The results of marijuana prohibition have been exactly the same as the results of alcohol prohibition, although exponentially worse because it has lasted so much longer and both sides fighting the "drug war" have had decades to become more institutionalized, radicalized, and entrenched.

Most of the arguments against legalization hinge upon the propaganda tool commonly known as the slippery slope. The slippery slope is a logical fallacy, but it's often interpreted as a cautionary tail. "Slippery slope" is a watchword for specious arguments.

Impaired driving is dangerous, and nobody should do it. Still, that's a separate problem from recreational marijuana use. Most alcohol users refrain from driving while impaired by their drug of choice, but a choice few irresponsible a-holes risk their own and others' lives by driving drunk. Short of making everyone walk, there is no way to keep irresponsible a-holes from endangering other drivers through impairment, distraction, or general stupidity. Misinformation about the severity and duration of motor impairment due to marijuana use isn't making anyone safer. No, I don't want my surgeon or airline pilot to be high or drunk when they're doing their job, but I don't want them to be texting or exhausted either and I don't see anyone caterwauling for the federal prohibition of cell phones or double shifts. At some point, you have to trust people to be responsible adults. If someone can't do their job, they should lose it regardless of the reason why.

Well, after talking my way through this for awhile, I'd like to revise my answer to the original question. The side effects of marijuana are less dangerous than the side effects of many common over-the-counter drugs, and less dangerous than the side effects of alcohol (also used for self-medication and available without a prescription), so I guess I don't really think that our vets should have to wait in line at the VA to get access to marijuana. Marijuana should be legal for everyone.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The very real medicinal properties of cannabinoids are well documented. As Littletommy points out, it's no panacea but there are countless patients who have benefitted from medical marijuana use. The federal government is way behind the curve on this, they need to end the federal prohibition on cannabis altogether and allow VA doctors to prescribe any medicine they deem beneficial to their patients.

Of course, recreational marijuana should be legal as well, especially on the federal level since the federal government has no legitimate constitutional authority to prohibit or regulate it's production, sale, or use within a single state. Even a ban on interstate trade in marijuana strikes me as yet another gross abuse of the commerce clause for the sake of expanding illegitimate federal power.

I fully understand and appreciate that there are many Americans who have no interest in marijuana use, recreational or otherwise, but part of living in a free society is leaving your neighbors free to make their own choices and live their lives as they see fit, so that you may remain free to do the same. Nobody is proposing that the legalization of recreational marijuana should be mandatory in its implementation. The results of marijuana prohibition have been exactly the same as the results of alcohol prohibition, although exponentially worse because it has lasted so much longer and both sides fighting the "drug war" have had decades to become more institutionalized, radicalized, and entrenched.

Most of the arguments against legalization hinge upon the propaganda tool commonly known as the slippery slope. The slippery slope is a logical fallacy, but it's often interpreted as a cautionary tail. "Slippery slope" is a watchword for specious arguments.

Impaired driving is dangerous, and nobody should do it. Still, that's a separate problem from recreational marijuana use. Most alcohol users refrain from driving while impaired by their drug of choice, but a choice few irresponsible a-holes risk their own and others' lives by driving drunk. Short of making everyone walk, there is no way to keep irresponsible a-holes from endangering other drivers through impairment, distraction, or general stupidity. Misinformation about the severity and duration of motor impairment due to marijuana use isn't making anyone safer. No, I don't want my surgeon or airline pilot to be high or drunk when they're doing their job, but I don't want them to be texting or exhausted either and I don't see anyone caterwauling for the federal prohibition of cell phones or double shifts. At some point, you have to trust people to be responsible adults. If someone can't do their job, they should lose it regardless of the reason why.

Well, after talking my way through this for awhile, I'd like to revise my answer to the original question. The side effects of marijuana are less dangerous than the side effects of many common over-the-counter drugs, and less dangerous than the side effects of alcohol (also used for self-medication and available without a prescription), so I guess I don't really think that our vets should have to wait in line at the VA to get access to marijuana. Marijuana should be legal for everyone.

don't really have much to add to that other than after seeing people that I know and care about get help and aid from MJ well I won't touch it, but if it works from them, gravy on everybody's mash potatoes!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
DonBenito, well put. Purple, well, you're over-reacting a bit. As far as children & young adults being influenced by this topic on the TW site that is laughable. Children & young adults are watching their friends "behavior" good or bad, all over faceBook. Granny ma, well, it's a fair bet she has many of her own alternative remedies (medicines) for treating a litany of ailments.

Once again, two words, responsible use. Nuf said. m.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts