TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've searched the forums, the internet in general and no luck trying to find a source for a gas cap gasket. TW is a 2001. Gas cap turns and locks fine, but I get a little leakage on top of tank from under the cap.

I do see tiny cracks in the gasket, but none all the way through, mostly along the inner and outer edges. It does look quite compressed.

Kinda scared to take it off at the moment, it may be stuck to cap, and get ripped up during removal.

Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi all, I've searched the forums, the internet in general and no luck trying to find a source for a gas cap gasket. TW is a 2001. Gas cap turns and locks fine, but I get a little leakage on top of tank from under the cap.

I do see tiny cracks in the gasket, but none all the way through, mostly along the inner and outer edges. It does look quite compressed.

Kinda scared to take it off at the moment, it may be stuck to cap, and get ripped up during removal.

It is strange that Yamaha does not provide a re-placement gas tank gasket. I found one at my Kubota dealer that fits the old style (pre-2000) TW. I think the newer style is smaller.

I can get you the Kubota part number for the old style as soon as I get home today. However, it wouldn't do much good.

I would remove the old gasket and take it to Kubota and see if they can match it. The old style gasket is specified for some type of generator they stock parts for.

Caution, in my experience, most Kubota dealers are kind of grumpy. I am not sure why. In fact, the parts guy at my dealer thought I was crazy and didn't even want to look for it. Luckily, I had the actual Kubota part number. Weird.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fishguy. My understanding is that the pre-2001 gaskets are a different size too. I would have no issue making one, but I have no clue what thickness or material to purchase, and I'd hate to buy a sheet of gasket material, go through the trouble of rigging and getting a perfect cut, then being unable to tighten down the cap, or having it too loose, or worse, watching it dissolve over time.

Maybe Yamaha thought the gaskets would last a while. Well, they sure did in my case... 17 years!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I suspect they more want you to buy the $50ish new cap. I have a cap off an old dented tank that i dont need, you are welcome to the gasket if you want it. Ill see if i can get it off. If i cant you can have the whole cap. Ill take a look at it tonight and send you a PM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jb882, you're no doubt right. Just seems weird that I can't find any info on it. Your offer is most generous sir!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Looks like the one i have is in great shape. One thing i just learned is the easiest way to get the gasket off is to remove bottom of the lock mechanism. There are 2 screws on the bottom and it comes apart.

Agfrag, ill shoot you a PM.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks fishguy. My understanding is that the pre-2001 gaskets are a different size too. I would have no issue making one, but I have no clue what thickness or material to purchase, and I'd hate to buy a sheet of gasket material, go through the trouble of rigging and getting a perfect cut, then being unable to tighten down the cap, or having it too loose, or worse, watching it dissolve over time.

Maybe Yamaha thought the gaskets would last a while. Well, they sure did in my case... 17 years!
That one fits my '95 TW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found the "Changes by year to the USA TW200 " sticky, saw this entry:

2002: Smaller diameter fuel cap.

So I might be in luck by one year!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You may be correct. I just looked it up and the cap is different than the newer ones. The one i sent you is off a 2005.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i suspect they more want you to buy the $50ish new cap. I have a cap off an old dented tank that i dont need, you are welcome to the gasket if you want it. Ill see if i can get it off. If i cant you can have the whole cap. Ill take a look at it tonight and send you a pm.
like!

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
My 2001 has the larger gas cap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I found this idea elsewhere on the forum: Go to W.W. Grainger and buy the Flange Gasket,Full Face,1 1/2", 1/8" thick nitrile, Item no 4CYU3 ($1.61)
This is for my '88 U model project bike.
cap gasket 1.jpg
Simply trace the old gasket onto the new nitrile material. I drew it a little bit bigger. Cut out with scissors.
cap gasket 2.jpg
cap gasket 3.jpg
cap.jpg
Nice snug fit and no more gas sloshing out. I also removed the flat bar inside the cap so that I no longer have to use the key to unlock it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Nice job everybody! Now remember to search for this thread the next time the issue arises.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Search Ebay for VITON Sheet Rubber. It's what's used for fuel tank fittings, gaskets, seals etc. It can be had in many thicknesses and sheet sizes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jb882, all...

Well, the cap gasket arrived and is too small, confirming the 2001 is indeed the larger size, and I guess also confirming the 2002 is when they switched over to the smaller size.

So, I hand cut one out of a piece of cork, filled the tank up, and took the TDub for a bumpy spin this morning, and the cork gasket held up very well, no leaks.

I will be sending it back tomorrow with my thanks for the effort. I really like the Granger Flange Gasket idea, or the VITON Sheet Rubber one, I'll try one of those next.

Another interesting point, the witness marks on the cork gasket I made show that the tank seals to the cork almost on the very outer edge of the gasket, thus, the tiny cracks, in the original gasket, which started on the outer edge, caused leakage. If the gasket/tank opening system was designed to seal in the middle of the original gasket, I suspect it would not be leaking right now. Interesting...

·
Registered
2 Posts

IOWA80.com has 3" Diameter Fuel Cap Gasket. I ordered one. I had same issue. Just get a 3inch Diameter Fuel Cap Gasket. Get one where ever you can find one. Cutting one out by hand is okay too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts