1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
ABS sheet plastic can be heated and bent with a heat gun. I used it on my custom rear fender. It has some limitation but continues to serve me well. See the link in my signature.

·
26 Posts
I used a plastic storage tote top to make mine, very flexible and workable plastic. Then I mocked up a fender with a manila folder.

FYI - one problem I had with my after-market fender eliminator kit and my new fender was grounding the rear-light. My new rear fender was bolted between the rear-light mount and the frame but it killed my bike frame ground needed by the rear light.

To fix that I have one bolt that has a direct connection to the bike frame and the license plate bracket.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out Preston Petty
Haven't used them in decades, but replaced metal front fenders with Petty on Yamaha enduros.

https://www.prestonpettyproducts.com/
Nice! Not what I'm looking for on the TW, but the KX will be getting a set of their MX fenders when I finish that one up.

ABS sheet plastic can be heated and bent with a heat gun. I used it on my custom rear fender. It has some limitation but continues to serve me well. See the link in my signature.
Not bad. I'm no stranger to forming plastics, was just hoping to find something off the shelf I can trim to fit.

I used a plastic storage tote top to make mine, very flexible and workable plastic. Then I mocked up a fender with a manila folder.

FYI - one problem I had with my after-market fender eliminator kit and my new fender was grounding the rear-light. My new rear fender was bolted between the rear-light mount and the frame but it killed my bike frame ground needed by the rear light.

To fix that I have one bolt that has a direct connection to the bike frame and the license plate bracket.
Lighting is not going to be a problem. The whole reason I'm looking for a fender without the molded tail light mount is for a light conversion. Already have lights (front and rear), wiring, a pile of weatherpack connectors, and I'm part way through the CAD.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
There a many universal plastic fender manufacturers...my new front fender is a UFO. I believe they make rear ones as well and being universal they may have what you're looking for.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. I think the UFO might be what I'm looking for. Clean/simple design in a flexible plastic, and it appears they have some with built-in DOT approved LED that might change my direction. Primary goal on the rear is to tuck all the lights so they don't protrude in such a smashable way but maintain DOT compliance (some of the local constabulary are very "serious" about such things).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts