TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've confirmed that I have an oil leak. But I'm not sure where it's coming from. Any suggestions? I clean the motor and it reappears after each ride.

2015-06-05 19.59.56.jpg

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Try and clean off as much of the oil as you can. Then dust some baby powder, talcum powder, flour or whatever you have onto the suspected areas. Then start and run the engine. Any leaking oil should show up and allow you to narrow down the location of the leak.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
My guess is the big cover on the side of the head that covers the sprocket for the camshaft is the source of the leak. There is a big o-ring under it and it has to be replaced, like all o-ring, after a while.

If you could take another picture a little higher up on the head......

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Kinda hard to tell from photo . Exhaust valve cover o-ring maybe?. If it's around the left side (shift lever side) case cover I agree with the above suggestions.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I had small leaks from both the exhaust and intake covers...this is common. I replaced both those O-rings at about 8,000 miles. It was only after getting the new ones and looking at them side by side that it was obvious that the old ones were flattened and not sealing real well. My cam cover O-ring has yet to need replacing but at 10,000 miles it can't be too far off. Baby powder will tell you exactly where within about one minute at moderate RPM.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
With out seeing it up close and personal I would guess it is blow by from the exhaust pipe gasket. Looks like you used an XT header pipe and it could possibly not be fully seated in the head.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody. I think it's probably coming from that cam timing cover. I've already replaced the seals on the valve adjustment covers. I'll order up one for the other cover and that'll likely take care of it. If not, then I'll plan on pulling the head in the not too distant future and change that gasket out... which will probably mean puling the jug and changing the base gasket... which will mean why not put in a fresh piston and rings while I'm at it. The whole thing would take an afternoon, so no biggie.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
A high compression Wiseco piston -- the kit comes with rings, wrist pin, and circlips. Start shopping ebay now for "Wiseco 4292" or "Wiseco 4292M06700" for stock bore or "4292M06750" for a .5mm oversize and you'll have to have your cylinder bored or honed out. Raise compression ratio from 9.5 to 10.25.

Try to find a kit for around $65. Less is better. Make sure it has new wrist pin, circlips, and rings.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The big O-ring for the cam sprocket cover did the trick! No more leak.

Truth is I'm a little bummed. I had figured if that wasn't it, then it was very likely the head gasket. That meant I had enough reason to go into it and do the new piston/rings and cam. Oh well, maybe later. :)

BTW -- if I did that high-compression piston, I would I have to switch to Premium Unleaded gas?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For grits 'n shins I went looking for Wiseco 4292M06700 and the cheapest price I've found is around $93 shipped. Ugh. If I could get one for $65 I'd grab it just to hold onto til I'm ready.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
The big O-ring for the cam sprocket cover did the trick! No more leak.

Truth is I'm a little bummed. I had figured if that wasn't it, then it was very likely the head gasket. That meant I had enough reason to go into it and do the new piston/rings and cam. Oh well, maybe later. :)

BTW -- if I did that high-compression piston, I would I have to switch to Premium Unleaded gas?
Well, it would be a high performance engine now, wouldn't it? They do need more octane. ;) If it rattled under a load with 87, go to 89, if it still does, go to 91. That's the best you can do. Are you running non-ethanol?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, thing is, I don't want to deal with higher octane. If it won't run on 87, then I won't do the mod. The places I want to ride this bike aren't likely to have easy access to higher octane. That's one of the reasons I got the KLX over the WR (which requires 91).

And no I don't run non-ethanol. Not worth the higher price.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
If I could get one for $65 I'd grab it just to hold onto til I'm ready.
You have to move FAST! They do come up but they don't last.

I don't know. Fred now uses premium but I have a feeling if you are easy on the engine regular would work.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The leak is back! But, I found it. It's coming from the cam chain tensioner. Guess I'll order up a new gasket for it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I've replaced everything now except the cam chain seal, the head and base gaskets. So if the head/base gaskets go, then I guess I'll be doing that rebuild sooner than later! :)

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
RobG- I feel your concern r.e. minimum octane acceptable when upgrading to elime's recogmended 10.25:1 Wiseco piston.
I initially ran 91 octane then topped off recently with 87 octgane as an experiment. My bike seemed to be knock-free @ 6,000 ft elevation 70 degrees. I had intended to re-fill with 91 octane @ Santa Margarita but they sold only 87. I was nervous but ran with the group over the coastal range to Pismo Beach without apparent knocking. I hope not to have to repeat that compromise in other small towns in the future. Here we get 85 octane regular in the summer and I recall seeing 83 octane in SE Utah. While I have not experienced knocking yet in some hot somewhat vigorous riding I should carry some octane booster just in case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts