TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

Didn't know the TW had it's own cult forums, overjoyed!

So I'll do a proper intro elsewhere, and will keep this to the point. A post that will hopefully get the sort of responses that will help me decide this one out.

I want a TW200. Simple.
My fiancee has one, using it as a commuter and sometimes play bike here in the western cape mountain ranges. This means, I know the TW's OK.
I am only 1.7metres, so a shorty, and my previous bikes intimated me to the point where I could not use or enjoy them.
My XR650L was too heavy and tall (even with a lowering link), apart from scaring me in the sand, the cape town wind wanted to push me over while waiting at traffic lights all the time (haha?).
My CBF600F was, smooth, and easy, but I am not one for dordling around the road much. I want to ride around the place and take dirt roads and trails when I feel like it.

So here I am, a dude in his 30's, wanting a TW200, thinking that it's the ultimate damn adventure bike. Short, easy, reliable, cheap(ish) and can fit the two of ours on a simple trailer.

What's holding me back? Well, I don't know, maybe it's just that most of my friends with the 900 ktm's and big bikes will think I am being an idiot. Maybe I should not care.

For guys that can relate to my situation, any advice or gotchas?

Cheerios!
Marlon

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
"So here I am, a dude in his 30's, wanting a TW200, thinking that it's the ultimate damn adventure bike."

Words alone cannot describe the reason(s) you should get a TW. Here is one good reason why you should get a TW. Adventures await you, I swear! :D

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Welcome to the forum Marlon! :D Don't listen to what your friends say. Get a TW and pretty soon, they will want one too and you will have friends to ride with!! You will enjoy the forum here, lots of helpful people!

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
You know the bike — you know your riding style — and you know what you’re “friends” will think

Who cares what your friends think — send ‘em on here — we love a bit of fresh meat to play with

You’ll soon be poking fun at them for being on such ridiculous machines

Welcome to the cruise - (and never mind the oranges) ………….. :cool:

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
Since your fiancé rides a TW it only makes sense for you to have one also. Then you two can share similar riding experiences together...she'll be happy, you'll be happy, 900KTM friends should understand.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Since your fiancé rides a TW it only makes sense for you to have one also. Then you two can share similar riding experiences together...she'll be happy, you'll be happy, 900KTM friends should understand.
That's my excuse. The real reason is because I just plain like it!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've heard some say KTM require maintenance every 30 mins and aren't reliable enough to go too deep in the woods.

I drive with an xr250 and a crx250. They sink in soft ground and dig trenches. You won't have this problem nearly as much with a TW. The others can do higher speeds without sliding as much but accidents that happen fast hit hard. I'm not a teen anymore and can't afford a serious injury. Best thing about them is when exploring or scouting you can go slow enough to take some time to look around without stalling you engine or having to clutch too much..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awe, thanks dudes!
This is pretty much what I thought. Coming up here to justify something you all know...
In South africa they are selling for around R45000, that is according to google conversion, $ 3380 - steeo...
But with the itch getting heavier, and summer on me, I guess if I can't find a used one soon, then Ill just do it (unless you know any reasons a new one is a bad idea)

I appreciate the responses, was overwhelmingly nice and funny :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Screw what the others think. Get your TW and enjoy it. It's a neat little bike.

Like I've told the others... I used to look down my nose at the TW. I thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Then I bought one because it was stupid cheap, with the intention of fixing and flipping it. Then I rode it. I sold my KLX250S instead (well, I was selling it anyway). So now I have the TW, a DR650 and a V-Strom.

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Honestly the best bikes I've ever owned were never the fastest, biggest or most expensive! All those KTM riders can think or say what they want, the TW has heart and it's a modest little mule that works feverishly to achieve whatever it is you're trying to tackle. It was also the first bike to the North Pole and if that's not bad ass I don't know what is?! Any real motorcycle enthusiast will appreciate the Dub because they know what there capable of, needless to say they've been kicking much ass since 1987!

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Here's the test:

If you're not smiling when you get off one after a ride, don't buy one. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again.

For the price of a few pizzas and work-lunches a month, I can buy one. Going to have a pop-in at Yamaha cape town next week.
Will report back once it's all done and dusted.

I browsed through your posts about the modifications and customising for the specifics needs you guys have, and I am thrilled by the options and choices. It's like a landy defender, you just bolt stuff on, and use the pleasure.

Salute!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey Marlon!

Welcome and hey from a fellow Saffa! I have a 2013 that I have owned from new, it is my main mode of transport for short commutes and beach runs.
I haven't done much off-road with it bar a little beach sand but she has been tough and reliable and I love her. I had planned to hollow mod it out but I have just enjoyed it as is way too much.

Let us know how it goes and shout if you have any more questions.

PS - If you do get a new one, I will be jealous, I love the '15s tank graphics.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another fellow Saffa!

After 8 months and 8000 km I have this advice for you:

Forget about the fancy KTM's, the T-Dub is the only bike which will give you a 100% reading on the Fun-o-Meter!:cool:

28062015086.jpg 02062015064.jpg Click on Images to Enlarge

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another fellow Saffa!

After 8 months and 8000 km I have this advice for you:

Forget about the fancy KTM's, the T-Dub is the only bike which will give you a 100% reading on the Fun-o-Meter!:cool:

Looks like you're gonna need a 3rd TW very soon!:p

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
The first TW I saw was in a dealer showroom and I knew it was for me. Everyone tried to discourage me from getting it -- even the dealer -- "to small, to under powered, to low to the ground, to funny looking, you won't like it." My thought then became I don't want to make an expensive mistake so I looked around until I found a cheap used one and I bought that. I liked it so much I bought a second one to use as a parts bike but it ran so well I couldn't bare to part it out so I now have 2 running street legal registered and insured TW's.

To heck with what other think! Do what makes you happy. Besides, the time will come when your KTM friends will be left by the trail side trying to lift their expensive overweight toys and you will keep plodding along at a steady pace and then you will have the last laugh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts