TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do enjoy reading on the forum, but I don't appreciate solicitation emails from taptalk to get their app. Maybe I've never noticed before, but it's there an increased amount of advertising when logging on? I get it that advertising pays and I can navigate past it for the privilege of enjoying TW200 FORUM for free. Getting the email notification caught me at a bad time (sound asleep) ha.
I guess I'm just concerned that because I joined the forum, I'm going to receive spam from taptalk? Sorry for the rant but I've got a huge personal space and feel like lashing out. Love the forum, hate the spam.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I was surprised myself by the Tapatalk email this morning. It's the first one I have received, and as long as it doesn't become constant, it won't be a problem.

If it does, it can be added to my spam list, and not show up any longer.

jb

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Yep, I just got one too. Does this mean that the forum owners have started sharing my personal email address with commercial concerns? That would not make me happy. But I can't figure out how it could happen otherwise.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yep, I just got one too. Does this mean that the forum owners have started sharing my personal email address with commercial concerns? That would not make me happy. But I can't figure out how it could happen otherwise.
Do you have, use Tapatalk on your mobile device? Beacuse I do and did not get the dreaded email. So is it Tapatalk trying to get new subscribers?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I don't have tapatalk. Yes, they are trying to get new subscribers, and the email is basically forum links. So, it seems impossible they got my email from anywhere else but here.

I have always been slightly uncomfortable with the whole forum thing, I will admit, but that's because I'm pretty much a dinosaur. However, since the forum settings page lets me select who I will accept email from and there is no "outside commercial solicitation" button, it seems to me a bit of a violation of the original understanding.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I think the concern is Mike that if they are selling email addresses, then there is no restriction on that. Nor is there any restriction of a purchaser further selling on your personal email address. Which basically compromises the address you used to register, which foolishly happened to be my main one I've had for years rather than a throw away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't know what the benefits of Tapatalk are, but I just save the forum log in page to my phone screen and access the forum that way. Hopefully this doesn't become a spam email center or I may have to do as Borneo mentioned and go to a covert email and start over with the whole registration. Who is the person who is in charge of the forum?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just opened up my email account and there it was. I scrolled down and it says this:

"This email is provided by Tapatalk as a service to the Yamaha TW200 Forum. No email addresses were sold, and your email address remains confidential."

So they must have just given access to our emails under some hidden agreement with Tapatalk.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is why I keep a couple of junk email accounts, that I use only when some belligerent site "needs" my email address to join.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tom

·
Registered
656 Posts
I actually got kind of a kick out of this. Mine had an offer to trade a Yamaha FZ-1 for a TW. It couldn't have been more fun. I can just see some oldster hopping on that bike and just giving that "ole" throttle a bit of a twist. I kind of like the idea of that deal.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Tapatalk is an app to view forums. Its perfect for old geezers like me cuz it makes it easier to view on a small phone. When a forum links to Tapatalk they have access to the forum just like all of us do. So they musta viewed all the members and cross checked it with those of us who use tapatalk and spammed the rest of you. I'm not selling anything here but if you have an iphone and use a couple of forums like this (and Advrider) Tapatalk makes things a lot easier (IMO). It makes uploading photos on Advrider 100% easier, too!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Tapatalk is an app to view forums. Its perfect for old geezers like me cuz it makes it easier to view on a small phone. When a forum links to Tapatalk they have access to the forum just like all of us do. So they musta viewed all the members and cross checked it with those of us who use tapatalk and spammed the rest of you. I'm not selling anything here but if you have an iphone and use a couple of forums like this (and Advrider) Tapatalk makes things a lot easier (IMO). It makes uploading photos on Advrider 100% easier, too!
Yes but I use both the website and Tapatalk and got the email in question. I think it was an out and out sell off of email addresses. No other reason users of Tapatalk would get an email.

Tom

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm always on the forum via my iphone. I tried TapaTalk about a year ago on a different forum. Couldn't stand it. Made it harder to navigate for me, and deleted it after an hour. Don't need it, period. Don't need useless apps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just use a desktop computer. The delete button is easy.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Try looking into Lightbeam if you think that this is a problem. It shows exactly all the connections related to your present site. Quite enlightening.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I tried TapaTalk about a year ago on a different forum. Couldn't stand it. Made it harder to navigate for me, and deleted it after an hour.
I tried it on my 10 inch tab and didn't like it either. I only use tablet on forums when traveling so not a big deal anyway.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Mike, my computer is secured by NSA too. Apparently they don't give me all the tibs and baubels. Cause i got spammed, spammed, spammed. Here come the russian wife sites....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts