TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than install a kick starter on the 09, I'm thinking of just carrying a spare light weight battery. Already have a Shorei installed and after 1 year couldn't be more pleased. Thoughts?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not something I would do. Won't save much money, increases maintenance and should you need it, big hassle to implement. Also
adding a kickstart will add to the resale value of the unit. Lugging an extra bat ray around only induces extra expense.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
My vote is on the kickstarter also. Once it's installed, you will never leave it home accidentally.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yes, kickstart is the only way to go. If you are planning on going somewhere far enough off the beaten path that having a backup is a requirement then a kickstart is the only way to go. Beyond the battery things like the starter could fail for various reasons, or the solenoid could fail, the start button etc... you get the idea. A kick start is pretty much as close to 100% reliable as you will find, simple and effective.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Plus the kickstarter can give the added extra boost to start a reluctant bike even when the starter motor and battery are working fine.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ditto kick starter install. Don't forget about the bump start (hopefully on a down hill run).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Rather than install a kick starter on the 09, I'm thinking of just carrying a spare light weight battery. Already have a Shorei installed and after 1 year couldn't be more pleased. Thoughts?
See my earlier post. Just had experience with a backup battery. Worked great. (for me) See below in Rocky TFS post #2 for link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts