TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be ordering some stuff just to have on hand. Seals for brake, valve covers, oil filter and orings, probably a spark plug.
What else do you keep on hand?
Bike only has 3k on it but I like to be prepared.
For instance I was doing an oil change when I noticed an o-ring was missing. It would have been nice to already have that seal on hand.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you ever have new tires and tubes installed, make sure you ask the tech to save your old tubes. Even if they need to be patched/repaired they can usually become spares. For those of us that don’t mount our own.

Spare oil filter is a good idea. But if you have the metal mesh type it can be cleaned and reused.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you plan on doing any serious off-road riding you may want spare brake and clutch levers
At some point I will. At first I didn't think it was a problem if you have guards but now I've seen a few videos of people breaking levers on moderate trails with guards.

So far we have 2 dubs in our group. A set of levers would be a good idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
...or quality handguards, they tend to prevent broken brake and clutch levers.
Motor oil, filter oil and chain lube are expendable maintenance items good to keep on hand.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
What else do you keep on hand?
Bike only has 3k on it but I like to be prepared. ...
I found that the valve cover O-rings last about 6,000 miles; the exhaust is the first to get compressed to the point of weeping. The little O-ring on the Allen bolt on the filter cover got mangled at 5,000 miles but the replacement lasted 10,000 or more. I do look at it every filter cleaning. I replaced the oil filter cover O-ring at about 10,000 miles. Brake seals? Do you mean the caliper piston seals? I never touched them in 16,000 miles. Spark plug? I put an Iridium plug in when new and it was still fine at 16,000 miles. I re-used the original oil filter for the same 16,000 miles and would think it would go to 30,000 miles.

The only other spare part I bought was a replacement gear shift lever and I still haven't used it 7 years later. :p Of course, brush guards were the first thing I added and I've never bent a clutch or brake lever.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rocky I was referring to the brake master diaphragm. I need to flush the system and I would prefer to have one in case i find it has a knick in it or something.

The oil filter bolt o-ring was completely missing. However I did reassemble it without it and have seen no leaks.

I will eventually adjust the valves and for reasons above I'd like to have the seals handy.

Thanks for giving me a timeline of sorts as to when they likely need replacing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts