TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so in attempting to remove the spark arrester on my wife's '03 TW the screw which holds it in stripped (almost as soon as I tried turning it) despite the fact I had soaked it in PB Blaster for a couple of days. So in an attempt to remove the screw I tried the following methods:

1) Cursed at it

2) Tried a different screwdriver

3) Cursed the designers of said exhaust

4) Completely destroyed the screw head using a powered screwdriver

5) Shopped for a new exhaust on-line

6) Welded a screwdriver tip to the screw

7) Yeah that didn't work either but it was satisfying

8) Remembered I have an FMF slip-on exhaust in my rafters for the TW

9) Decided I didn't want to mess with re-jetting the carb (again)

10) Learned a TW exhaust won't fit in my bench vise

11) Cried. A little (okay maybe a lot)

12) Coerced my wife into holding the exhaust in-place on my work bench

13) Drilled a hole through the screw, used a screw extractor, got it out

14) Chucked screw as far as I could, but now it's out!

So my question is, has anyone found a bolt (so I can put a socket on so future removals will be less painful) that fits this exhaust? Thanks in advance. The good news is I have to do this on my other two TW's as well. Just for fun I tried turning the screw on my '07 TW with 1,600 miles on it. Yeah, it's seized in-place too.

Kevin

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Replace it with an allen head. Use NeverSieze and. remove it just for giggles occasionally just to keep it freed up..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace it with an allen head. Use NeverSieze and. remove it just for giggles occasionally just to keep it freed up..

Thanks guys, I like that idea better than just using another Phillips head. Does anyone happen to know what size/thread type I need. It looks like fine thread to me but I'm unsure of the size, thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
96 Posts
This post got me thinking.I bought a 94 model in the summer.So I just went out to remove the screw to maybe clean it out.I lucked out, the screw came out easily,but the end cap isn't, any tips,besides spraying and soaking?

·
Registered
123 Posts
mine was B!#&$& to get off last night, and i have a 2012 model. the screw was stuck and stripped, luckily an impact socket(type you hammer) got the screw to free up and caught the very little threading there was. i saw another idea from someone else on here (sorry no name) to use an oil wrench for the end cap. THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA! I used a towel to grip the end cap with the oil wrench and just kept turning it to work out the rust that has inhibited inside. finally got to clean the arrestor and placing it back in today after i take it out of kerosene. sounds awesome without it!!!haha

·
Registered
814 Posts
Had to drill out my 2010. Welded a 1/4-20 nut in and used stainless hardware to secure the arrestor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
mine was B!#&$& to get off last night, and i have a 2012 model. the screw was stuck and stripped, luckily an impact socket(type you hammer) got the screw to free up and caught the very little threading there was. i saw another idea from someone else on here (sorry no name) to use an oil wrench for the end cap. THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA! I used a towel to grip the end cap with the oil wrench and just kept turning it to work out the rust that has inhibited inside. finally got to clean the arrestor and placing it back in today after i take it out of kerosene. sounds awesome without it!!!haha
Some great tips here! Thank you so much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a quick release on mine. Took original screw off with impact driver. Threw away. Now the part I used was the connecting bolt that connects the 2 push bar assemblies on a standard gas lawn mower i put a nut screwed all the way down for clearance reasons. Now allows me to pop and drop with just the flick of a wrist... here is a pic.,

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts