TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to pull it out and the screw was so tight that I stripped the head. Despite the tightness of the screw the arrestor slides in and out about 1/4" as if in an elongated hole. The result is not only vibration but a loud muffler. I need to get a screw extractor and hopefully when I pull it out it will solve the mystery. I ended up jury rigging it with tie-wire and the thought comes to mind of the old saying: "there is nothing so permanent as a temporary solution" :) Anyone had it off that can offer a likely explanation? BTW, the bike is a 2013 and kept in the garage so I wouldn't expect the screw to be rusted in there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Your probably gonna have to drill it out. Then use a pop rivet instead of a screw

My 2013 is frozen also.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I tried and failed my friend also. But he has a different idea he's going to try. Weld a bolt to the screw.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Take the rear exhaust off completely if you havent. It makes it Much easier to work with. It comes apart right above oil dip stick.

Then.
IMHO use a extractor on the bolt. If you drill Be careful you will most likely catch the threads and have to rethread the hole. Use a bit one size smaller than the bolt itself.

To replace
You can always get a longer bolt and thread nuts on it till it exposes the head.out of the baffle lip.to avoid having the removal issue again
I used a bolt off of a old lawnmower because it was the exact size of the o.g. baffle bolt but longer in length then I threaded two nuts down to the head to snug up when tightened and it has a nice handle on it which makes pulling the baffle fast and easy.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drilled a hole and used a screw extractor. Replaced it with a bolt. Can now use a socket so there is no longer the issue stripping the head. Problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts