TW200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a pretty basic question for most folks, but I've never had a "dirt bike" before and all of my previous bikes were either shaft or belt driven. So I need sum edjuamication.

Question 1
What does a "spark arrestor" look like on the TW200? Google shows a couple of different screen-like devices, but usually shows them paired with non-standard mufflers. Is it standard for the stock muffler? If not, how can I tell if the bike has one?

Question 2
What makes an oring chain superior to a regular chain? It appears to be one of those universal upgrades everyone says is essential, but why? Do they require different maintenance than a regular chain?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
All stock TWs have a spark arrestor in the end of the muffler unless some foolish PO removed it.

O Ring and X ring chains are very much superior to the stock chain. The rubber rings, O or X go behind the joining plates and seal the roller bearings from outside water and dirt getting in and this is where 90% of chain ware occurs. Ringed chains are pre lubricated and need very little external lubrication. Where a stock roller chain might last a few thousand miles and require constant adjustment and lubrication/cleaning the ringed chains should last at least 10,000+ miles with very little adjusting and lubing. Chain ware directly relates to sprocket ware so by upgrading to a ringed chain you get the added benefit of longer lasting sprockets.

GaryL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts