TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered the following question:

Please take into consideration the following:

-I live at 4,500 feet above the level of our oceans.
-I've never adjusted, added or changed anything in my carb.
-Bought her new, she's an 06' Non-cali model
-My travels in the area range from 3,500 ft - 9,000 ft

She's always seemed to run fine. But, could it run better?
-Adam

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
If you were to spend all of your time reasonably close to one altitude I would recommend rejetting for more power. However, where you ride a range of altitudes, if you were to rejet for more power at 4,500 feet by the time you got to 9,000 it would be way too rich. Conversely, if you were to rejet for more power at 9,000 feet you could very possibly be too lean at 3,000 feet. Sounds like the stock jetting is a good compromise for you, as it is for me. I say, don't fix it if it isn't broke. Just my 2 cents, though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I live at 5500 ft and have ridden up to ~9500 ft and stock jetting seems good. Start to feel a little power loss ~9000 ft. , but many have ridden their TWs over 13k passes without issue (except of course power loss due to altitude). I'm hoping to see how it does for myself at higher elevations this year. Only adjustment I have done is to the mixture screw, set at 1.25 turns out.

Some have reported good results with adding more holes to the airbox door which can be plugged or covered with duct tape, and then uncovered at higher altitudes to lean the mixture out a bit. I figured if it was needed, I'd try this route before attempting to re-jet. +1 to B-Dub - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Some have reported good results with adding more holes to the airbox door which can be plugged or covered with duct tape, and then uncovered at higher altitudes to lean the mixture out a bit. I figured if it was needed, I'd try this route before attempting to re-jet. +1 to B-Dub - if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I am one who has drilled holes (5) in my airbox cover and I unplug when camping for several day's at high elevation. There is a noticeable improvement, then I plug the holes back up when I head back down the hill. Home elevation is about 2,400ft.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Admiral, is your carb stock jetting still? At what elevation do you take the tape off?

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
That's a helpful post. Thank you for the info Admiral!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts