TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this special edition tw200, had never seen one before. must be rare huh?

Okay, I know it's not a TW but these have never been imported in to the US by Hyosung. This particular bike was brought in legally by a member of the military and has a valid state issued street legal title. I bought it out of New Jersey but it now resides in Upstate NY.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Do you have access to the bike? Always been a little curious about certain of its parts and pieces.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
interesting opposite side exhaust.

i had a hyosung 50cc scooter when i lived in korea.... broke the frame twice and blew the motor twice. still loved that thing (to death), it saved my sanity while i was there.
i hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate some close-up pics of the business parts of the bike.

Just for comparison's sake, if nothing else.

Looks like an interesting score, congratulations!

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Up state NY can be anywhere above the Tapanzee. I am between Orange and Sullivan counties and would love to get an eyes on look at your bike.

GaryL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I apologize for leaving you guys hanging. I made the mistake of 'upgrading' my Time Warner internet package and, um, not so much!

Do you have access to the bike? Always been a little curious about certain of its parts and pieces.
Sure do, it's sitting in my garage along with my other wacky motorcycles. What specifically would you like to know/see? I'd be more than happy to accomodate.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate some close-up pics of the business parts of the bike. Looks like an interesting score, congratulations!
I'll do my best Don. I love the fact that it has a four valve head...only one cam, but four valves...

what size are those tires?
Front tire size ............................................................................ 130/80-18 66P
Rear tire size .............................................................................. 180/80-14M/C 78P

Up state NY can be anywhere above the Tapanzee. I am between Orange and Sullivan counties and would love to get an eyes on look at your bike.
This is true Gary, but I'm really upstate, just north of Ithaca in the Finger Lakes region. Feel free to stop by and have a look/test ride if you're ever this far up:D

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Since you volunteered.......

Near as I can determine they're more of a VanVan knockoff than a Tw knockoff but I've been unable to verify a few things which might be of value to us (O.k., only to me. Maybe).

Rear rim: Steel, or alloy? Spoke count?

Rear hub?

Is the engine just offset in the frame, or does it just use an offset front sprocket or is it an actual, honest to goodness longer output shaft?

Fork tube diameter? Distance between tubes? Tank capacity?

No hurry. Yesterday would be fine:p.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Wow, a real up stater! Don't mind my cynicism, I get a kick out of those who call where I live 80 miles NE of the city as up state. I personally consider up state to be above Albany. You are quite a ride from me but I will be watching this thread while Lizrdbrth gets you to dissect your bike. I am sure he has a devious plan to see what parts will make our TWs better.

Seems like you already have the picture posting figured out so snap away and I am sure you will get plenty of questions as this thread progresses. It sure is a sharp looking bike and hearing about performance things would be of interest to me. What are the comfortable speeds it can handle?

GaryL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you volunteered.......Rear rim: Steel, or alloy? Rear hub? Spoke count?
Rear rim is steel, as is the rear hub (sure about the rim, not so much about the hub) Spoke count is 36. Interestingly enough the front rim is an alloy Tagasako unit...

Is the engine just offset in the frame, or does it just use an offset front sprocket or is it an actual, honest to goodness longer output shaft?
I'm going with honest to goodness longer output shaft on this one:

Fork tube diameter? Distance between tubes? Tank capacity?
Fork tubes are a 'hearty' 35mm. Distance between tubes runs 8 7/8", and the tank capacity is 2.4 gallons.

random shots:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are the comfortable speeds it can handle?
Pretty much all of them...Preface here by saying that I am a heavy person, weighed in a 265 at a work required physical a couple days ago.

I have had the Troy up to an indicated 105 km/hr, which translates to just about 65mph BUT in the terms of full disclosure the one thing about the bike that is a bit wonky is the speedo. I can't say it's particularly accurate and at some point in the near non rainy future will toss a GPS on and ride like the wind to see what actual speeds are. My seat-o-pants speedometer was quite surprised by the 'power' of the bike and the speed it attained, for me being heavy and it being heavy and 125cc. I would have no issue riding it in city or rural settings. Highways and interstates? Probably NO.....

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
It sure looks as though the designers sat and gazed at a TW for a long time while making the plans for this very nice looking rendition. I am surprised it can make that much power from such a tiny plant. I have to wonder what it would do with gnarly tires out on the trails? How heavy is the bike?

Very nice pics BTW and your willingness to post and answer all our questions is greatly appreciated!

GaryL

·
Registered
976 Posts
I sure do like the looks of the left side cover(S!)

Damn if that doesn't just make sense.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I sure do like the looks of the left side cover(S!)

Damn if that doesn't just make sense.
I would like to have seen an outer carrier bearing inset in the side cover with a machined protrusion on the end of the shaft. It just seems like a lot of force could be on the case bearing with such a long shaft.

GaryL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Claimed weight for the Troy is just below 300lbs Gary, something like 297. Claimed horsepower (we know how that goes...)is just a hint above 13hp, but also remember that gearing is really what makes the engine power either usable or not. The gearing is fairly well spaced, although I keep looking for a 6th gear when riding it, you know do the phantom toe lift.....

I'm more than happy to provide info and pics. The bike is unique enough that it deserves to be seen by those who might be the most interested, and that's people who own similar machines. I will not deny lusting for a TW for years, but never picking one up. I have a real penchant the oddball and obscure bikes, so when the Troy popped up I knew it was something to pursue.

I would like to have seen an outer carrier bearing inset in the side cover with a machined protrusion on the end of the shaft. It just seems like a lot of force could be on the case bearing with such a long shaft.
I agree, but think that due to the 'bargain' nature of the bike this wasn't a consideration. It's obviously imperative to keep the chain fairly loose with plenty of slack to try and not 'pull' on the shaft. That outer cover over the front sprocket is just plastic also, so to add a carrier beating would require that part be machined or cast out of metal, and that'd be too much $

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks for the info. I found the general specs on those bike a few years ago but no details or closeups. Kind of hard to speculate about stuff we can't put our hands on. It appears to be more TW-esque and less VanVan-esque than I thought.

Not seeing much that could be used on ours but had high hopes that the rear rim would be alloy and of the right spoke count. The front ends couldn't be any less basic than ours and the disc looks bigger. Was that measurement to the inside of the fork tubes? If inside, it's even wider than ours. Might be the hot ticket for someone into a rear-to-front tire conversion.

I assume the lower triple is cast iron, same as that 5 pound pig on ours?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was that measurement to the inside of the fork tubes? If inside, it's even wider than ours.

I assume the lower triple is cast iron, same as that 5 pound pig on ours?
That measurement was center of fork tube to center of the other fork tube. Lower triple is indeed cast, doesn't appear to be 5lbs 'big', but perhaps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts