TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question: Are there supposed to be tabs on the left side of the front wheel to drive the speedo drive? My speedometer quit working. I suspected the speedo drive on the left side of the front wheel. Upon inspection, I saw a piece of metal jammed between the drive & pinion gears. A new drive assembly is about $60. Before I spend $60 on a new drive assembly, what spins the drive assembly's drive gear? I don't see anything. I suspect there's supposed to be tangs or tabs on the left side front wheel hub similar to those of the right side front wheel hub, but there's nothing. Anyone familiar with this? If so, please advise.

Front wheel / right side

Front wheel / left side

·
Registered
548 Posts
My 2013 has the tabs on both sides of the hub. The tabs are the "speedo driver". Not sure why they are on both sides though.
That's for british right hand drive ??? ;)

It appears that the tabs that drive the speedo are worn off your wheel hub, see if the speedo gear still turns. If it is tight or seized that is probably what has damaged your wheel. Your local welding shop should be able to build up the tabs to match the other side or you will have to replace your front wheel. There is a used speedo gear on E-bay if you need to replace yours - Yamaha TW 200 TW200 Trailway 2001 2015 Front Speedo Gear 5EK 25190 00 00 | eBay

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The speedo drive is froze. Actually, there's a piece of metal jammed in between the pinion & drive gear. I'll either have to have the wheel repaired, buy a wheel or look into an electronic speedo. I appreciate the info. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I don't know anything about this, but have heard of gps speedo. Some of you techno guys will have to inform.

Reactions: immgunn
1 - 6 of 6 Posts