TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired about a 1/2" hole in the speedometer lens. Is the lens able to be removed. Is there a good way to repair it so you can still see through it? image.jpeg . Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mine has been apart by force, after a crash! Imwas able to put it back together with JB Weld, but I cant think of a repair for the clear plastic. Clear packing tape is a really glod idea!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thats a good used price, seems rare ro see them. My odo knob broke off, so I would like a new one, but I have so many other projects to attend ro already for the upcoming season, probably not a good time to spend more money on parts I dont have time to put on��

·
Registered
165 Posts
MFrost-Depending on how crafty you are, you may be able to use a dremel and cut away the lens, leaving a 1/8" or greater "lip" around the outer edge. You could then cut some plexiglass/lexan cut to a similar shape and using silicone, adhere the new lens in place. Why not?

Mattwings, depending on how/where your odo knob broke off, you may be able to repair this too. I used a small 3/16" drill bit to drill into the broken stem and knob, then inserted a plastic rod (cut from a ball point pen) into both holes with some glue and re-attached. It worked like a charm! I've done this on other items too like the seat adjustment knob on my 4Runner with great success. And cheaper than sourcing a "new/used" switch.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Mics. Glue Wisdom learned the hard way:
SuperGlues can fog lexan and other clear plastics as it cures. UncleRandy's silicone solution sounds good but might be better with electrical grade silicone that has ethanol as a curing by-product rather than acetic acid.
Simple silicone sealants outgas corrosive acetic acid as they cure so they can toast circuitry and copper components. Their outgassing can also deposit undesirable films on optical components. Aerospace industry has developed many safe silicone potting and enclosure sealants. However the TW is not rocket science so simple clear silicone would likely be very satisfactory. However for the perfectionist on a budget who likes to add to their specialty adhesives collection there are electronic safe products like this:GC Electronics 19-155 or SILICONE RUBBER ADHESIVE SEALANT, TUBE W/DISPENSING NOZZLE, 3 FL. OZ.
For donor clear plastic and possibly the electronic sealant your local R/C hobby store might have it all on their shelves; mine did when I built R/C boat radio and servo enclosures.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I acquired about a 1/2" hole in the speedometer lens. Is the lens able to be removed. Is there a good way to repair it so you can still see through it? View attachment 93521 . Thanks
While your waiting for a permanent solution put a piece of this on it to keep it clean inside and still usable. Park it in the sun to evaporate any moisture that got in there first...

IMG_6015.PNG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts