TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disconnected both ends of the speedo cable to ascertain that it was not broken and could easily be turned from either end. The light bulb lights up. Does this mean I need a new speedo?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks TWilight...smart test--will try that and get back. '87 with 4,440 miles...suspect mileage since this bike has obviously been ridden quite a bit. That history unknown to me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Riverman, The speedo on my '03 quit working and it ended up being the nubs on the front wheel that spins the speedo drive. Actually, the speedo drive seized and in turn broke the nubs off the wheel. It's too cost prohibitive to replace the wheel & speedo drive, so I'm gonna install a Viper aftermarket speedo/tach (one of these days). Good times.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I disconnected both ends of the speedo cable to ascertain that it was not broken and could easily be turned from either end. The light bulb lights up. Does this mean I need a new speedo?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer. Thanks.
There is no need to post this in both the Tech and Classified sections. We are here to help and those who know how to help you will and have found your discussion in the Tech section.

GaryL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny...I actually put a smaller rear sprocket on to be able to stay with traffic! Cordless drill was able to register 30 mph on the speedo, so I know that it works. I'll conduct these other tests...tonight. Thanks a ton TWilight. BTW, I've bored it once over and am just now putting in a carb rebuild kit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right GaryL...I realized my mistake after posting in the classifieds and couldn't figure out how to remove the post there...then TWilight jumped in and responded to the classified while I was reposting in Technical. Ooops.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TWilight... Looks like a bad speedo drive gear since when I would spin the front wheel it would intermittently turn then pause turn a bit more when it seemed to catch Etc. so what now, is that a replacement part that I can get?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts