TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my trek up to Arkansas and back this weekend I noticed that after a couple hours of riding 55-65 mph, the speedometer started shaking/oscillating in a range of about 5-8 mph.

I think it might be heat related, not sure how or why, but it seemed to start after long stretches of riding, and go away for a bit after a rest or fuel stop, then continue again after a while.

If it is heat related then perhaps its more of a feature than a bug, bike letting me know its getting too hot and wants to stop for a spell?

Has anyone else observed this with your bike(s)

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Most guys here only wish that their bikes could run for hours at 55-65mph :eek:!

Now you know what Yamaha means with that 55+ Red Zone on the speedometer face ;).

Seriously, is your speedometer actually shaking or is it just the needle that is jumping around?

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
Anything over 55mph and the whole bike gets nervous, causing various bits to shiver and shake

Try talking to it calmly, and pat the tank occasionally - it'll soon learn to trust you ...... ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most guys here only wish that their bikes could run for hours at 55-65mph :eek:!

Now you know what Yamaha means with that 55+ Red Zone on the speedometer face ;).

Seriously, is your speedometer actually shaking or is it just the needle that is jumping around?
Sorry, when I said speedometer shaking I meant the needle shaking. Jumps around in a range of about 5-8 mph on the guage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine does that as well, but only after maybe 15-20 minutes of sustained 55+ speed. Normal around town it's fine.

I've lubed the cable(usually the culprit for a bouncy speedo needle), it turns free/smooth as can be. The inner cable itself looks brand new, no fraying or anything. Honestly not really sure why it does this.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Also make sure that the connections are seated and tight.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Yeah, my 2018 does this too, but since I rarely run at that speed for that long it is a fairly rare occurrence. The 2010 never did this.

Edit: Today I ran some 60 miles at WOT trying to outrun a thunderstorm. No indication of this problem. Bike has 2,100 miles now....maybe it just wore in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took mine on a ride to the mountains using state highways. It was about 50 minutes one way. Towards the end of the ride there at 55 mph mine did this as well. Same for the ride back.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hrmmm. This is an strange behavior. Double check your speedo connection, clean, lube, tighten and see if that helps. These 2019s are seeming to have a few quirks. Odd.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
My 1993 has never had the speedo needle shaking. I have ridden at full throttle 60-65ish for about an hour at times. I may have lubed the cable a couple of times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts