TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...first post. Not a TW owner yet but have been looking and ready to buy. I have looked at several "low mile" ones that seem like they have had a lot more use than the mileage shown. Is their a way to tell if the speedo has been disconnected at any time to "save miles"? Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi...first post. Not a TW owner yet but have been looking and ready to buy. I have looked at several "low mile" ones that seem like they have had a lot more use than the mileage shown. Is their a way to tell if the speedo has been disconnected at any time to "save miles"? Thanks!

There is no possible way to tell. The speedometer cable is easily unscrewed from the speedometer and they could've just left it dangling there for years without any miles adding up.

So, you'll never know. If you're real worried, I'd do a compression test to make sure the engine is still making good power.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The TW seems to attract older folks that are looking for a first bike, something for the Wife or just a set of wheels to put on the back of a motorhome. In short, they frequently don't get alot of use. When they hit the 'used' market a younger rider may pick it up, ride it hard for a short time and realize it is not a very good 'moto-cross' bike and back up for sale it goes, still, as a low miles machine. My thoughts ....... Gerry

T

·
Registered
231 Posts
compression test is a good way to know if something is worth your time. if you dont have access to a compression tester, just pulling the plug and inspecting it can save you time and money.

and when someone says "all these old yamahas just run better with the choke on!" while they are continually rapping the throttle keeping the rpms up it's probably not worth your time/money unless you WANT a project bike.

·
Registered
464 Posts

I haven't looked at the TW speedo but on some bikes they use some goop that is blue, yellow, etc between the cable and speedo threads if broken it means the cable has been loosened but I have never looked at the TW speedo head closely-my guess is that Yamaha does not do that.

I think there are many better ways to inspect a bike to determine condition ---- and as Gerry suggests the types of people who own TWs--- and when you go to their house and see how they maintain the other things they own it sort of gives you a clue on how they treated the TW.

Good Luck

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts