TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I took the family to Manhattan to visit the World Trade Center memorial and museum. It was a sobering experience to say the least.

I am no stranger to visiting the city but I was very surprised by how things in that area had changed for the better. Bike paths, excellent police presence, very affordable entertainment and just very little riff raff in general.

If there are any questions regarding the photos please feel free to ask.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm amazed at how quickly people forget 9.11. Maybe some people would call me vindictive, but I won't forget, and am not about to forgive something so horrific as that.
Ditto!!!!

I was amazed to learn more people that worked rescue, recovery and cleanup operations have died than those killed from the initial attack. I also learned that fewer than 15% of victims have had their remains positively identified. Sad.

Tom

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My family will never forget...and our American flag will be out front & proudly waving on 9-11!

PS - Great post, thx!

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
We moved from Rochester back down to my home here in Sullivan County in mid August. My wife had never been to NYC so on the labor day weekend I took her to see a few sights. I served aboard the Intrepid during Vietnam and she wanted to see it and both the WTC towers and Empire State Building. We had a real nice day, went to the tops of the buildings and got a nice tour on my old ship. A week later the towers went down. My wife will not go back to see what is there now and in fact has PTSD ever since watching the towers crumble that morning and saying wow, we were just there and in those same buildings last week. She refuses to go see the wall too because we both have Uncles, cousins and classmates who's names are on it. I can't get her to go see the Statue of Liberty either because she thinks all those sights in NYC are targets.

Thanks for posting Tom.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Nice post....makes me think of those who lost all there. I guess I'm vindictive as well. I'm not about to forgive those who want to kill ours.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is on the railing Tom? View attachment 184118
Those are trinkets Fred. They are left by the loved ones of those lost. That is a Callery pear tree and it was discovered amidst the wreckage of the 9/11 attacks. It's bark was charred from fires and most of it's limbs were broken or snapped off entirely. Yet weeks later it still had a few green leaves and showed signs of life.

The tree was transported to a nursery and cared for by NYC Department of Parks and Recreation. Over time new limbs began to grow and each spring flowers continued to blossom. In 2010 it was moved once again and now permanently resides at the same location it was found. It stands very close to the memorial pool for tower two and is looked upon as a living symbol of resilience.

Tom

·
Registered
604 Posts
Excellent pictures Tom. Thanks for the share. That twisted hunk of beam is surreal. God bless America. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sorry about your wife, Gary.
And thanks for your Military Service!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts