TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Splinter and I took advantage of a sudden window of opportunity to finally scope out the B-to-V route via TW. Found it quite TW-able for the 205 or so offroad miles from our area to Primm, Nevada. 422 miles showing on the Garmin for the round trip this morning:

A (very) few phone pics to follow. Took a really nice camera. MINUS an SD card:p. I'm hoping Splinter's phone caught better pics than mine.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Thought I'd put one of the last ones first. It's significant in that for the first 150 miles we'd not seen another vehicle, person or any wildlife of note other than an occasional roadrunner or a lizard. In the last 50 or so miles dropping down into Primm we spotted a desert bighorn ram, a few rogue cattle and a small band of these little dudes. If you look carefully you'll see the wild jenny burro on the trail in front of Splinter. All her homies split, but this little alpha jenny layed her ears back and stood her ground right in the middle of the trail until the others made a clean getaway:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great meeting you by chance at the gas station in Primm yesterday.
I felt like I was in the presence of a Rock Star because of the ubiquitious nature of Mr. Breath on this Forum and the fact that you do Rock...
CHEERS!
Steven

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steven, was great meeting you, as well. Particularly in such an unlikely place.

For the rest of you, we had just arrived in Primm when an SUV pulled up next to us and the guy asks "Are you guys on the TW forum?".

How many of you can say that you had a bonafide Bigfoot siting on YOUR last ride?

Losers.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Most mentions of this ride approach from the Antelope Valley from the west or from a dropoff point at Minneola Road or elsewhere. The starting point for our trip was a bit different in that the goal was to scout the route for a future trip with a group of TWr's. We wanted to stay offroad from home to Primm if possible, so we kinda stammered around a bit with the route between home and north of Barstow in the early part of the day. Now that we have it nailed down I suppose it could be done as a day ride, but it would be one helluva long day. Maybe 20 hours or so? We carried everything we needed for up to 4 days, just in case. Camped about 50 miles short of Primm the first day, then on to Primm, then home. Felt about right.

The route isn't particularly difficult as most of it follows the route of the powerlines to Hoover Dam, but it is 205 miles after all, and includes a number of stretches where the trail is composed primarily of lava rock, a considerable number of long stretches of soft sand, huge washouts and deeply rutted climbs. Just enough difficulty to keep you on your toes and in the sub-30mph range with the TW's suspension.

Though marred to a degree by the constant proximity to the powerlines, the back country is vast, endless and beautiful throughout. I suspect one could find at least a month's worth of sidetrips from anywhere along the powerline route:

I hope Splinter got better pics of this, but it was a first for me. A sinkhole in the middle of a side trail off of one of the lava rock sections. I steered past it, then realized I hadn't seen the bottom of it. Upon closer examination this little hole was about 10 feet deep and wider underground than at the surface. The ground was spongy all around it and I reckon it coulda swallered up most of a bike if we'd centerpunched it:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow, I've come across a few badger holes in the middle of the road and thought that was a big enough hazard - I can't imagine finding something like that in the middle of the trail. Glad you didn't take the plunge! Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your ride!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
How many of you can say that you had a bonafide Bigfoot siting on YOUR last ride?

Losers.
that is so last rr.... and if only you had made the sheet iron II....

silly lizrd, don't you know sasquatch country is up north?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, but clearly ours are more highly evolved. Your Yetis will never drive cuz they forage in those "funny fields" and they keep getting their giant Birkies stuck in the pedals.:p

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wow, looks like a nice long ride through some gorgeous desert.

Them sinkholes are scary things, passed a few big ones myself in some bottomlands last weekend. Sure made me reconsider splashing through the next puddle I saw!

Glad you guys found your route, from looking at Google Earth satellite images of the area you rode through it looks like a fella would have plenty of opportunities to make a wrong turn.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're definitely in a nice corridor for long distance stuff for as long as it remains so. Use it, or lose it.

Phone pics are a pain. Won't be doing that again. Will try to get some chronology out of the few good ones taken.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You rats!, Barstow to Vegas is one of my dream rides, Looks like you had a great time of it and I'm jealous as I can be.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You rats!, Barstow to Vegas is one of my dream rides, Looks like you had a great time of it and I'm jealous as I can be.
hunter s didn't do it this way.... just beware of rabid, multicolored bats!

lizrd, looks like you had a great ride, and this has the makings of a great trip.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes, and it has the makings of a good group ride at a comfortable pace for those who can be self-contained.

Here's the geek stuff. Fuel mileage was in the 50's overall, with Splinter's bike and stock rear tire averaging only a few mpg more than mine, even on the mostly paved return trip. Back country mph was mostly under 30 mph. Here in the high dez wind, sand and elevation can conspire against you sufficiently that I've learned that for planning purposes around here it's wise to assume that you're potentially getting as little 50 mpg at any given time even on a bone stock bike and plan accordingly.

Max elevation wasn't all that high, but a lot of up-and-down. The GPS only tracks ascents, and while most of them are deceptively gradual rather than abrupt the trip ranges from a low in the 2,000's near the Mojave Preserve to nearly 5,000 in the high country. :

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
As much as I like ridin' in the tree's, I'm still attracted to the desert riding. ...and this coming from a person whose scared of snakes. See any sidewinders? Wish our locales were closer, darn it.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm no herpetologist, but I suspect your high desert supports higher snake density than ours by virtue of snow melt which produces a bit more in terms of the grasses which feed their food. That only happens here if we have a particularly wet spring.

We got 'em, including the infamous Mojave Green with its potentially more harmful venom. You just don't see them as often as you would in slightly better grazing. That said, I have on occasion found pockets where there seemed to be a buzzworm every 10 yards. lol.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how did you guys manage gas along the way???
3.2 gallon tanks. Well, that and topping off whether we needed to or not while near civilization. Splinter had two fuel canisters in tool tubes, but we never touched them.

Like I said, calculate your distance assuming 50 mpg, plan accordingly and it's a lot harder to find yourself in trouble.

Hope for 70, but plan for 50, every time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts