TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
296cc (more power), fuel injection (better cold starts, pickup/throttle response, smoother power delivery, more convenient), improved frame for better handling, vastly updated styling (seriously one of the coolest looking sport bikes on the market right now - definitely no budget-bike styling here!)! But it still retails at $4800! I'm seriously going to get on my knees and BEG my girlfriend to buy this bike (she's been looking at used Ninja 250's) with some of her tax money lol! I'm telling you guys, Kawasaki knows the current market better than any other manufacturer, they are massively on top of their game from that angle. Between the KLX in '08, the updated ZX14, and now this. I think this new bike is going to crush the CBR250 in terms of sheer sales volume. In fact, I'd wager you'll even see a lot of people trading in their brand new CBR's to get this instead. Don't get me wrong, the CBR is a cool bike and for sure I like it, but this new Kawasaki is just on a different level!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I predicted a few years ago, around 2007 or so, when you just started to see some new small-bore motorcycles being introduced again. I said that the more small bikes there were, the more there WOULD be (sort of an exponential grwoth in the years following my prediction), and that the competition would grow and make the small bikes even better. Sure enough, exactly as I said. I love it! Now I'm waiting for a 2014 or '15 GSXR 300 four cylinder or something like that lol! This is a really hot market sector right now and I can definitely see fiercer competition in it, in the coming few years. Here's a link to the Ninja 300 page:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=717

Oh yes and below is a little statement from Kawasaki about the 300, taking a bit of a jab at the CBR 250. Although I did/do like the small CBR, I can't really say that I disagree with Kawasaki on this one:

"After years of unchallenged domination, the best-selling Ninja® 250R sportbike had finally begun to see competition from other manufacturers. Make no mistake, it still outperformed the challengers by a significant margin on the open road [here I make a small point of contention - notice how they cleverly say "on the open road", as opposed to perhaps, say, a twisty mountain road; the CBR is as good or better on a curvy road, but can't quite keep up under sheer straight-line acceleration], but why simply outperform them, when you can totally dominate? The new 2013 Ninja 300 thoroughly dominates its lightweight sportbike competition on the performance front, and it also significantly ups the ante for refinement, ease of use and overall practicality. Thanks to a new digital fuel injection system, and a new F.C.C. clutch with assist and slipper functions, this new 300 is the best lightweight sportbike, by far, when it comes to overall performance and sporting capability."

A slipper clutch on a 300 "entry level" - that's awesome too!

·
Registered
269 Posts
While sport bikes aren't my thing, I do think that the ~300cc engine is overlooked. Seems like a sweet spot to me, but then the first bike I ever rode much was a 350 so it may just be nostalgia on my part.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Things seem to be heading in the right direction...let's hope the trend continues. The 300-450 class is just plain badass....imagine a modernized CB350 or CB450 done similarly to how the TU250 was done....we would be in riding heaven!

C'mon....the japanese need to quit making these damned 1300-1800cc V twin cruisers and solely focus on FUN bikes! If we want a big boring cruiser we can go get a HD, give us something HD cannot...just like you did back in the day!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Things seem to be heading in the right direction...let's hope the trend continues. The 300-450 class is just plain badass....imagine a modernized CB350 or CB450 done similarly to how the TU250 was done....we would be in riding heaven!

C'mon....the japanese need to quit making these damned 1300-1800cc V twin cruisers and solely focus on FUN bikes! If we want a big boring cruiser we can go get a HD, give us something HD cannot...just like you did back in the day!

i totally agree!...anything in that size range would be perfect for fun, bopping around town or commuting (depending how far and where you are going)...

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
CB-400F with EFI and up to date brakes and boingers anyone? I'd like to have one with 70's superbike styling.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While sport bikes aren't my thing, I do think that the ~300cc engine is overlooked. Seems like a sweet spot to me, but then the first bike I ever rode much was a 350 so it may just be nostalgia on my part.

Don't think it's just you ;D . It seems like a lot of the people on this forum, at least, feel the same way, myself included. The 300 class is where it's at for a fun machine - dual sport and sport bike alike.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Tell me that bike wouldn't be fun in tight twisties? After having a KZ1000, a KFX400, and a 650R, I have to admit, I am a bit of a Kawasaki fan. I think they do give you more bike for the money than do some of the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Looks like it's a long stroke version of the EX250 motor, which was no slouch and probably about as much fun to ride as anything out there.

I want the motor. Might be torquey enough for a certain dualsport project bike I have in mind....

I'm with Retmotor. Every Kawi I've ever owned represented the best bang for the buck whether KZ's, KLR's, or Concourses.

('Cept my H2, which was just plain scary. But I'd still like another one
)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to an article I read, it's not just a stroked 250 (although it IS that... same size pistons with ~8 ish mm longer stroke). The article claims that Kawasaki claims that a few other bits in the engine are also upgraded/changed (not sure what).

·
Registered
187 Posts

I so AGREE with this! My first "street bike" that I owned was a 1968 Honda CB350... I LOVE that dam bike... sure it wasn't the fastest or most nimble... but I had no trouble scraping the pegs at any time and it was dam reliable. I can remember my buddy and I having the engine out... rebuilt (top end rebuild) and re-installed in less than 36 hours I would love have another one!

z

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I so AGREE with this! My first "street bike" that I owned was a 1968 Honda CB350... I LOVE that dam bike... sure it wasn't the fastest or most nimble... but I had no trouble scraping the pegs at any time and it was dam reliable. I can remember my buddy and I having the engine out... rebuilt (top end rebuild) and re-installed in less than 36 hours I would love have another one!

z

i want to buy this in the worst way but i can't fit another bike in my garage...maybe it's time for a shed

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/3280523579.html

·
Registered
566 Posts
^That would be temping.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
CB-400F with EFI and up to date brakes and boingers anyone? I'd like to have one with 70's superbike styling.

The CB-1 is a pretty fun alternative. Bittersweet to say I'm trading a friend for an Airhead though.

The days of 50/100cc increments need to come back. I heard the salesmen pitch the other day again about how there's no sense in a small bike since you'll trade it in for a bigger one in no time. I thought that was the point? I mean, you don't have to get a 125, a 175, a 200, etc. but just because your kid will wear a size 12 someday doesn't mean you should just buy him the 12's now and forget the growth.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I say that whole "you'll trade it in right away thing" is a BS sales tactic, a cheesy up-sell to make them more money. Sure, some people WILL do that... I've been riding the hell out of my 20 hp DR200 since 2009 and, while I do appreciate more powerful, bigger, faster and more capable bikes, I still love my little DR and I still have a ton of fun on it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I say that whole "you'll trade it in right away thing" is a BS sales tactic, a cheesy up-sell to make them more money. Sure, some people WILL do that... I've been riding the hell out of my 20 hp DR200 since 2009 and, while I do appreciate more powerful, bigger, faster and more capable bikes, I still love my little DR and I still have a ton of fun on it.

Yeah not everybody feels the need. I just kinda fell into it myself and I can appreciate why you go bigger, but a lot of folks that go that route seem to quit or come full circle anyhow. I know I'll be back on a 200 eventually if I have a say in the matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts