TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to pass along that I picked up a spot 2 messenger at Best Buy last night for $55 on clearance.

Ive been wanting one and jumped on it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Been using a spot for about 3 years now, so Ive had both the spot tracker (1) and the spot messenger (2). Althought neither is perfect, both are great options when your in a place of no cell coverage. If given a choice, i would always grab my phone first in any emergency, but i understand that some places i go, that aint an option. For tracking, remember that there are many options on your cellphone that allows internet tracking as long as you have cell service.

on both my tw and suburban i have a one or more ram balls that will allow me to quickly add or remove a spot ram bracket. (brackets for spot2, Rino and Oregon gps, camera/video screw mount)

IF YOU HAVE A SPOT AND HAVE NOT SEEN SPOTWALLA.COM you need to look into it!

here is my untested ram mount on my TW with a Garmin Rino bracket attached. (yep - got the bike... dont work)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
"I just wanted to pass along that I picked up a spot 2 messenger at Best Buy last night for $55 on clearance."

How did you do that? I just looked at their website and they are either $99 or $149.

Was that an older model they had lying around?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"I just wanted to pass along that I picked up a spot 2 messenger at Best Buy last night for $55 on clearance."

How did you do that? I just looked at their website and they are either $99 or $149.

Was that an older model they had lying around?

I know.... When I got home I looked online and the price was $149 unavailable everywhere.

Its in the cash register system as $55 on clearance. Its the spot 2 in gray. I had them check the price and it was $55. I went to the cashier and expected problems. It was $55 per the cashier also. Its shows clearance on the receipt. On the thumper forum there is a guy who got one for $55 also.

If you can find one in the store it will ring up as $55. It will be in the navigation case. If someone finds one in stock and has trouble with the pricing (you wont) I can send a scan of my receipt for you to use for a price match. It will ring up $55. Trust me.

If you can find spot 2 available at a best buy in your area with the online stock checker, I would jam down there and buy it at the counter.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I hadn't really considered getting one of these, but thought that I would stop at Best Buy on the way home from work to see if they were really on clearance for $55.00.

Well they weren't .....

They were on sale for $34.99!

The model I got came with a bonus adventure kit also.

I know, I know. I should have nabbed all that they had, but I didn't think of that until after I got home. Sorry guys ....

Brian

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't really considered getting one of these, but thought that I would stop at Best Buy on the way home from work to see if they were really on clearance for $55.00.

Well they weren't .....

They were on sale for $34.99!

The model I got came with a bonus adventure kit also.

I know, I know. I should have nabbed all that they had, but I didn't think of that until after I got home. Sorry guys ....

Brian

Thanks for the receipt copy. I can use this for a price guarantee match. The price must have dropped $20 in the past day.

Although they didn't have the bonus pack like you received. Same skew number though.

I think I'll be jealous if I ever see you sporting the safety tips bandana.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Hi Larry, thanks for the original tip. Good idea to get the price match.

I'll make a few calls to Best Buys in the area and see if they still have any more units in stock. If they do, I'll try to pick up a few and offer them to fellow forum members. Any interest out there?

I haven't opened mine yet, but I am sure that that bandana is very stylish and well the cost of the kit!

Brian

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Larry, thanks for the original tip. Good idea to get the price match.

I'll make a few calls to Best Buys in the area and see if they still have any more units in stock. If they do, I'll try to pick up a few and offer them to fellow forum members. Any interest out there?

I haven't opened mine yet, but I am sure that that bandana is very stylish and well the cost of the kit!

Brian

I checked online for kicks and in your area "Dublin" they are listed as in stock at 2 bestbuys. That is interesting. It seems that the online inventory does show them if they have them.

Another interesting thing. I went to activate mine for the weekend and it seems BestBuy sold me a recalled unit. It wouldnt let me register it. So I called spot and they sent me a link to send it in for a free replacement. Or the option to return it to BestBuy. It was such a good price I am just going to send it in. But 3 weeks for the replacement leaves a little to be desired.

I suggest if anyone picks one up try and find one with a serial number outside the recall range. Its on the box and here is a link for more information.

http://findmespot.com/exchange/

Leave it to BestBuy to sell you a GPS locator that was recalled almost 2 years ago. They are such idiots.

I have to wait for a mailer (7 days) send it in (7 days) and wait for return (7 days). 21 days total. Spot gets a big fail on this return process.

I wish I was closer than 2 hours to Dublin.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Good news for me, bad for you guys. I just came back from BestBuy and was charged $18.99 for mine, total of $20.14 including the tax, and the ESN number is outside/above the recall range so I assume it will work. It's got the "bonus $50 Adventure Kit" included, like in the photo TW-Brian posted. For that price I couldn't pass it up.

This is like the same con game the cellphone industry does, giving away a free phone and charging you $50-100/ month for service.

This thing comes with a 15% discount on the service for the first year, then the regular rates apply.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Good news for me, bad for you guys. I just came back from BestBuy and was charged $18.99 for mine, total of $20.14 including the tax, and the ESN number is outside/above the recall range so I assume it will work. It's got the "bonus $50 Adventure Kit" included, like in the photo TW-Brian posted. For that price I couldn't pass it up.

This is like the same con game the cellphone industry does, giving away a free phone and charging you $50-100/ month for service.

This thing comes with a 15% discount on the service for the first year, then the regular rates apply.

Woohoo, looks like you're the winner!

Wear that bandana proudly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The next person will probably get a free one and $50 cash.....

We all get screwed in California on everything. So I'm actually used to it. Your cell phone comment made me laugh because I hear people all the time go buy an iphone 3gs because its $49 dollars versus $200 for a 4. And they agree to a contract over $1500 for 2 years. Am I the only person that sees that $149 as pocket change when compared to the service over 2 years?

The more I look at the spot features and yearly costs it makes me wonder is there a better setup without the recurring costs? Beacon's are a little pricey but no service charges. Even if its not GPS linked, what is a good practice when traveling to remote areas? Could you really carry a ham radio and have a chance at getting emergency assistance? Even if it is a little delayed? Or is this a wise tale with cell phones as popular as they are?

I'd love to hear what some people carry to minimize emergency assistance headaches.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have one friend who sails to the Bahamas this time each year, and everyone - friends and family- can track his progress and know his whereabouts and be alerted if something happens out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic. It's a nice feature to be able to notify someone if you're in trouble or at least to let people know where you are.

Another friend of mine last year met up with a friend on the way and they rode their bikes to the rally in Sturgis. He could be tracked every day also. I kept teasing his wife that she knew where his Spot Messenger was, but she had no idea where he was.

Didn't go over too well but I thought that was pretty funny.

You have to figure out what you want to use it for. If you do serious offroad riding, in the woods or desert and you need help, they can find you real quick with the push of a button. You could probably shackle it to your kids or hide it in the car if it had a view of the sky and track them or your wife every 10 min.

It would be nice if the service could be activated and deactivated when you want to use it on a trip, instead of paying for the whole year and have it sitting in the closet most of the time.

You can keep track of your trips on Google maps, but you could do that with many standard GPS units and download it to your computer if you wanted to.

It's just any other gadget we all buy but it's a good safety item if you can use it as such.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you want to do it for free, APRS is a good tracking solution. http://aprs.fi/

I use a Microtrak RTG

2m is a good solution for communications in the Northwest and as far as I have traveled.

It is well worth taking the time to get your amateur radio operators license.

As with any other emergency plan, having a schedule and someone who knows your plans is the best bet for survival.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you want to do it for free, APRS is a good tracking solution. http://aprs.fi/

I use a Microtrak RTG

2m is a good solution for communications in the Northwest and as far as I have traveled.

It is well worth taking the time to get your amateur radio operators license.

As with any other emergency plan, having a schedule and someone who knows your plans is the best bet for survival.

Did anyone grab any spares of these? I'll happily throw a little beer money your way if you can post it to Aus (I'll pay postage too).

Cheers,

Rob.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Seems when Spot was to present the New version 2 there were some issues. At the time I was already using the older version and content enough to keep it. A few of the newer ones were released then recalled and then it seemed to be a long wait. Perhaps once all the problems were figured out they were able to up-grade all the first edition unit as yet assembled and offer them now at a substantial discount. This is my Saturday morning before breakfast theory. I sure like my unit and find the 24 hour tracking option to be a huge plus. Gerry

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Albuquerque has no such deals (i.e. no stock at either of the two Best Buys). Sorry TurboRob - I was game to be your US supplier once again, but . . . The clerk said it was likely they sent all clearance stock to those stores that had already shown an ability to sell the product and hence some stores probably received no stock once the clearance was declared. Cheers. Tom

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Checked with a friend at best buy and she told me i must of been the 100th person asking about them. She checked the stores for me and none of them have any, but one came up as 35 and the other 50.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Turbo Rob, you have been a real asset to the forum. A forum member gave me an additional Spot (original style) as he had been frustrated with Spot customer service. I will 'Pay-forward' this jesture and give it to you for what it will cost to ship. My understanding is that it worked fine but some of the lettering has 'worn-off' I have since used a "Sharpie" to re-identify the buttons. I don't think the unit got much use, just an issue with billing and the service plan. This is the same style that I use and I have been very happy with it. Send me a PM or E-mail and I will put the plan in motion. Thanks for all that you have given the forum. Gerry

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Good job Gerry. You are a gentleman and a scholar; as my grandfather use to say.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Could not have done it Josh if JVT was not kind enough to send it to me. Now we can keep track of Rob. Gerry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts