TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first day of spring so it's time to head out the door. Had to avoid falling in the ice & snow, vicious mountain lion attacks, a bunch of mad cows, badger holes ...and one weird guy who looked suspicious. Took the XT and TW out. I also got a new camera and love it. I'll love it more when I get the external mic.

Changed oil, adjusted carb float level, replaced spark plug, replaced air cleaner, replaced 15T w/14T front sprocket, kicked like a million times to get it started after a long winter. My foot is sore!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Another great video!
Rear facing camera was making nice submarine-like noises but the forward camera's wind noise needs a cotton ball or sumptin'
I think those badgers left you almost as many shell craters as at Point du Hoc. point du hoc.jpeg

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Nice vid, Cecil B. DeAdmiral!

I was sure that long, crooked, ugly front wheel-grabber rut right after the first cow was gonna get you!

You catch that guy in the white truck takin' a leak?

Where do you live?

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad you were able to break out of your ice cave and get some riding in. How do you like the new gearing?
Well, so far the only change I can really tell/feel is in 5th gear. As expected, RPM's are higher when I get around 50+. I could pull in 5th gear at a lower speed than before when I would have to downshift to 4th. If it was to hilly I'd have to stay in 4th gear before like when we were at Winom-Frazier on that blacktop road. I'll have to wait for another month or so for the trails to clear up to see how it feels on the trails. I think if I weighed less the previous gearing would have been fine.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another great video!
Rear facing camera was making nice submarine-like noises but the forward camera's wind noise needs a cotton ball or sumptin'
I think those badgers left you almost as many shell craters as at Point du Hoc. View attachment 191148
Yes, this is exactly what it looks like out there, bomb craters everywhere. Must keep an eye on the trail and not get caught gawking off for sure or you'll end up as badger bait.

When researching my camera I knew that wind noise could be a problem but I tried to go cheap. The noise reduction doesn't help much for the wind noise as you noticed. An external microphone will be on it's way shortly which I'll mount inside the helmet like everyone who owns this camera has done. Noise problem will be solved. This was my first ride with the new camera so now I know.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's quite the contrast between north and south, old and new. felt good to get on the 2 wheels didn't it!
You bet it felt good. Even felt good to just get out on the paved road with the XT, once I got off the icy FSR roads. I did take a slightly less icy way back to my cabin on the return.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice vid, Cecil B. DeAdmiral!

I was sure that long, crooked, ugly front wheel-grabber rut right after the first cow was gonna get you!

You catch that guy in the white truck takin' a leak?

Where do you live?
Thankfully, it had warmed up and the rut edges are mostly soft now. It's hitting the hard frozen sides of the rut which cause the most amount of swiggle swaggle.

The guy in the white truck sure did look like he was up to something. You can kind of see he didn't want to really make eye contact with me. I waved but he didn't wave back, I guess mainly because he wasn't looking at me. I'm not sure if he was peeing or trying to hide a dead body. I hope it wasn't the latter!

I "live" up in the mountains about an hour north of Boise. The "no snow" riding is about 45 minutes west of Boise towards the Oregon border were we used to live. Riding season down in the valley comes much earlier. Heck, last year forum member ejfranz and I were riding in late January though it was a bit colder than on this day.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Admiral...
Idaho is on our "RV Bucket List"...along with Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon & N. Cali.
We have a 28' bumper-pull trailer with a semi-permanent bumper rack for the T-Dub. EZ on, EZ off.
This will be a late-summer to late fall trek...maybe we'll bump into some fellow T-Dubbers along the way?
NE states next spring.

What is the elevation at your hacienda?

Are those practice-bomb craters WWII vintage? Any souvenirs to be had?
Those kinds of places draw me like a magnet...I'm WWII vintage myself!
Government land?

·
Registered
604 Posts
We broke into spring, for a day at least. Now its raining and snowing again. Bring on the mud! Shakaka!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well Darth, if you ever make it up this direction, you'd have to go through my corner of NV to get to ID, OR, WA. I feel you would be right at home, as down the road is the Death Star. Well, Deeth-Starr Valley anyway. I-80, 20 miles west of Hwy. 93. The Tie-Fighters look like cows.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Admiral...
Idaho is on our "RV Bucket List"...along with Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon & N. Cali.
We have a 28' bumper-pull trailer with a semi-permanent bumper rack for the T-Dub. EZ on, EZ off.
This will be a late-summer to late fall trek...maybe we'll bump into some fellow T-Dubbers along the way?
NE states next spring.

What is the elevation at your hacienda?

Are those practice-bomb craters WWII vintage? Any souvenirs to be had?
Those kinds of places draw me like a magnet...I'm WWII vintage myself!
Government land?
We have an "Open Driveway Policy". If someone is coming through the area and wants to ride or not, just give us a heads up and well keep the light on for ya. Elevation at our actual cabin is 3,500 feet. Not to bad but we live on the north facing slope i.e. in winter more snow and melts slower. Dang it!

Those are actually badger holes not bomb craters. I make a joke about them being bomb craters but they're not. There is a bombing range south of Mountain Home Air Force Base but it's still in use. Even dummy bombs would leave a mark in my noggin if I stumbled out there during a bombing session.

Don't forget to visit if you come this way!

·
Registered
604 Posts
That bombing range keeps me and Admiral separated.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Well Darth, if you ever make it up this direction, you'd have to go through my corner of NV to get to ID, OR, WA. I feel you would be right at home, as down the road is the Death Star. Well, Deeth-Starr Valley anyway. I-80, 20 miles west of Hwy. 93. The Tie-Fighters look like cows.
Yeah, I think I would feel at home there!
I like cows but I never saw one that looked a Tie-Fighter.
We used to have a pet Brahma cow named Daisy. Big ol' rack of horns, gentle as a pussy cat, but would kill for watermelon. She and my 5-year old son used take pasture naps in the sun.
Maybe we can give you a shout if we make it that way....

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
We have an "Open Driveway Policy". If someone is coming through the area and wants to ride or not, just give us a heads up and well keep the light on for ya. Elevation at our actual cabin is 3,500 feet. Not to bad but we live on the north facing slope i.e. in winter more snow and melts slower. Dang it!

Those are actually badger holes not bomb craters. I make a joke about them being bomb craters but they're not. There is a bombing range south of Mountain Home Air Force Base but it's still in use. Even dummy bombs would leave a mark in my noggin if I stumbled out there during a bombing session.

Don't forget to visit if you come this way!
Badger holes!? They must be big, mean suckers...how big are the holes? Why do they dig them?
We have badgers but they are only ~2 ft. long. Yours must be Shetland pony sized...
We live in a canyon in NW Texas. Our elevation? 3,500 feet!
If we can stop by, maybe I could borrow a body to drag through the woods? I'd love that!
Thanks for the invite...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts