TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
MAXX, you can lead Purple out on this typical warm up ride not far of camp. Being more rock than sand it might remind Purple of those cobblestone London streets from his currier days.:)

Reactions: Purple and SanDue

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Now Purple, you may have noticed Moab at places has painted white lines we are supposed to follow.
However in Moab they are not usually quite like this one from Sedona, Arizona.

In Moab the white line trails are a lot longer.:D

Reactions: Purple and SanDue

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
See? Sedona's White Line is just a tiny thing, barely a couple hundred yards long.

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
We (me and the Mrs) went to Crete a few years ago, during the visit, we went on a “Jeep Safari”. The guys running it, loaded 5 others in the back of an “enclosed” jeep type vehicle, leaving myself and my wife, with two non-driving passengers in the “Suzuki” type open thing. Just the two vehicles — one driven by someone who does this every day of the week, the other driven by someone who’d not even had his driving licence looked at

We trundled off, and to the outfits credit, the “thing” I was in was pretty tight mechanically. Being four up, I bounced the tranny a few times, but that was about it as far as the “jeep” went. But the point here, is that I’m scared of heights. So there I am, in an unfamiliar vehicle, steering wheel on the wrong side, making my way up the side of a mountain, with a drop of 500ft six feet away, boulder hopping, with three people’s lives depending on my (and I use the term loosely), “skill”

To say I was “slightly clenched” would be an understatement — I could have cracked walnuts …..

By comparison, one up, on a TW, really does become a “piece of cake” — I know the bike, my own capabilities - and if I fuck it up, I have only myself to answer for

So — yeah — I hate heights as well — and I’ll probably end up hating sand — but for me, Moab with you guys is on my bucket list ……

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
San Rafael was really nice this year but there is just something about the slick rock of Moab that draws us back.
Will be fun to share chasing the white lines with first time visitors.
Purple is going to love this

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just to wet everybody's appetite for Moab.

I was on Gemini Bridges Rd this morning. I can't believe that it is August 1st and the temperature was about 68 degrees during my ride.

Simba

I love the TW200 for this trip. Usually I am in a group and ride a DRZ400S. But prefer the TW200 when riding solo.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good thing you got that ride in before late afternoon/early evening. I wouldn't even want to wait for a milk shake at Milts Burgers with them thar temperatures.

You the only one our riding? See any other riders? Can't be many this time of year. Looks smokey like everywhere out west.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am riding solo and did not see any other riders. I did see a few Jeeps on the trails, though.
There is a haze/smoke around Moab which I have never seen before---I think it might be from all the fires.
Simba

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Nevada's ~ 700 square mile Martin Fire is supposedly contributing to Moab's smokey skies

Reactions: SanDue

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Simba, are you going to be in town for a while, because I will go on an early morning ride with you, if your willing.
But this is not the best time to come here, the monsoon season should be starting soon too
hey Bob, are you going to be in town the first 2 weeks of sept? we will be around there somewhere and maybe get together for a ride

·
Registered
117 Posts
Admiral,

I'm in for April 27-May 4. Are you still looking at the South side? Is the KOA where you plan to stay or are you just recommending that to Purple for a cabin?

Wes may come along with me. But since he joined the Army and will be at Ft Riley as of Sept 1, and playing with larger toys than TWs, not sure it will happen.
Picture1.png

·
Registered
352 Posts
hey Bob, are you going to be in town the first 2 weeks of sept? we will be around there somewhere and maybe get together for a ride
Hey Greg,
I doubt it, because Monique and I are going to ride out to the horizons unlimited event in southern California the last 2 week's of September.
So I'll probably be working the first 2 weeks.
But send me a message, if our plans change I would like to go riding.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Admiral,

I'm in for April 27-May 4. Are you still looking at the South side? Is the KOA where you plan to stay or are you just recommending that to Purple for a cabin?

Wes may come along with me. But since he joined the Army and will be at Ft Riley as of Sept 1, and playing with larger toys than TWs, not sure it will happen.
View attachment 182846
We're looking for a free camp south of the KOA. A good spot if not taken was down near the TH for Behind the Rocks. Grewen found this spot last year when we stayed there in May on the east side of Hwy 191. There is other camping in and around this general area on the west BTR's side of Hwy 191 down a sandy road.

Purple is looking at renting a cabin at the KOA and I believe he has (had too) put in a reservation. Camping where I'm talking above (free site) is much closer (and quicker) to the KOA than the North Camp which we've been staying at for the past several years. A plus to the proposed south camp area is you can also ride from town to camp by riding on some trails which connect to Spanish Valley Dr. or with little Hwy 191 exposure if you like. Sometimes Mrs. Admiral and I would jump on 191 and head north until a turn-off which took us to Spanish Valley Dr. which kept us on pavement and was quicker.

It would be very cool to include Wes if he can get the time off. Pretty cool picture of you and Wes by the Stryker. My son is about 1/4 through his deployment to the 'Stan. He's txt's occasionally. He's "off net" quite a bit as one could imagine.

270 Posts
San Rafael was really nice this year but there is just something about the slick rock of Moab that draws us back.
Will be fun to share chasing the white lines with first time visitors.
Purple is going to love this
I must attend this!!

270 Posts
Hey Greg,
I doubt it, because Monique and I are going to ride out to the horizons unlimited event in southern California the last 2 week's of September.
So I'll probably be working the first 2 weeks.
But send me a message, if our plans change I would like to go riding.
What is this Horizons Unlimited you speak of?

21 - 40 of 635 Posts