TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Admiral, Sounds good. I won't worry about a KOA reservation. Hope all goes well on the next "3/4."

Reactions: admiral
270 Posts
I'm in! Marked on my calendar.

I am incredibly excited about this! It is a definite bucket list item.

I read through the entire thread and it sounds like most, or at least some of you, prefer to rent a cabin. I like (free) dispersed/yellow post camping. Does anyone else go this route? I noticed Admiral mentioned something similar.
Is there a general area I need to focus on? GPS coordinates to go off of? Obviously I need to camp someplace close to you guys. This will be my first trip to Moab so any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, how much extra fuel should I bring? Would a 5 gallon Jerry Can suffice?

STOKED!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I could be enticed to go if someone in my area wanted to carpool. I’m 30 hours away without traffic. :(

Edit: Marian just reminded me of my schedule for next year. Lauren is graduating in Hawaii so it looks like I’ll miss Moab. :(
See you in 2020 plus I will have more money in my pocket since I won’t be paying for college anymore. Yahoo

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Has anybody booked any group discounts at Archview ? I loved the Roadrtunner deluxe cabin in 2016 TWilight and Purple negotiated a deal at around $600 for 9 days as I recall

They want $55 a night for an RV spot I think I'd rather have the cabin

I'll have my truck and trailer that can haul 4 TW's easily plus one on the Versahaul and two more inside if needed so I can run to the south KOA camp etc when needed

Everything I need in Moab is accessible from Archview and once I find something I like to stick with it

That being said I can camp in my rig so if theres a better deal I'm open

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Till Death Dual Us Sport™;955092 said:
I'm in! Marked on my calendar.

I am incredibly excited about this! It is a definite bucket list item.

I read through the entire thread and it sounds like most, or at least some of you, prefer to rent a cabin. I like (free) dispersed/yellow post camping. Does anyone else go this route? I noticed Admiral mentioned something similar.
Is there a general area I need to focus on? GPS coordinates to go off of? Obviously I need to camp someplace close to you guys. This will be my first trip to Moab so any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, how much extra fuel should I bring? Would a 5 gallon Jerry Can suffice?

STOKED!
in 2016 a dozen or more of us stayed at Archview campground a few miles north of Moab proper we also had a "dry camp" aprx a mile north in free federal land and folks could run to Archview for showers etc if desired

Archview has a small store and gas station as well as deluxe cabins, rustic cabins, RV and regular tenting sites and it's about 7 miles to down town Moab for real grocery stores and restaurants
SAM_5426.JPG SAM_5441.JPG Moab-3-12-16 023.jpg Moab-3-12-16 003.jpg

270 Posts
in 2016 a dozen or more of us stayed at Archview campground a few miles north of Moab proper we also had a "dry camp" aprx a mile north in free federal land and folks could run to Archview for showers etc if desired

Archview has a small store and gas station as well as deluxe cabins, rustic cabins, RV and regular tenting sites and it's about 7 miles to down town Moab for real grocery stores and restaurants
View attachment 182880 View attachment 182882 View attachment 182884 View attachment 182886
Thanks for the info! It looks like such a good time. I used Archview as a center point to check the surrounding BLM. There's no shortage of it, that's for sure! The tent icon is Archview. The yellow is BLM.

Screenshot_20180803-222352.png

·
Registered
351 Posts
I offered purple a room in our basement, but he prefers to rent his own cabin.
But I can offer the space to someone else, or you can park your trailer or rv alongside the house and plug into the house. Of course the house will be available for use of the restrooms. If anyone is interested, let me know.
It's within walking distance of downtown.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Till Death Dual Us Sport™;955104 said:
Thanks for the info! It looks like such a good time. I used Archview as a center point to check the surrounding BLM. There's no shortage of it, that's for sure! The tent icon is Archview. The yellow is BLM.

View attachment 182888
Just north of Archview you'll see BLM Road 378 aka Willow Springs Road heading east off 191 you'll see a cleared area on the left although the area is mostly open tundra. This was the dry camp in 2016 and I believe in 2015 as well

Willow Springs (possibly Willow Creek Rd I forget) is a direct route east into The Arches National Park and directly across 191 are roads / trails leading to incredible rock climbs, slick rock and other forms of riding only limited by your imagination

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Attendees are about evenly split between primitive camping off of Willow Springs Road and a formal private campground like Archview with it's gas station, mini-mart, showers, hook-ups and cabins.
The primitive camping has become more popular with all visitors, thus has become more crowded, and of necessity more regulated along Willow Springs. However there we all camp close to each other with nightly campfires and the associated camaraderie that really adds to the experience and builds lasting friendships. Easier to plan the next day's outing too .
If one really wants to ruffle some yuppie feathers by firing up the TWs every morning there is halfway between Archview and Willow Springs is a glamping ( glamorous camping) facility where you can spend $300 a night to sleep in one of their luxury tents. Heavens knows what they would think of us motorcycle hooligans.
I shall primitive camp once again mostly self-sufficient; cook in camp, shower and re-fuel at Archview. Typically one day we all get together at a nice Moab restaurant for a meal and visit.

270 Posts
Just north of Archview you'll see BLM Road 378 aka Willow Springs Road heading east off 191 you'll see a cleared area on the left although the area is mostly open tundra. This was the dry camp in 2016 and I believe in 2015 as well

Willow Springs (possibly Willow Creek Rd I forget) is a direct route east into The Arches National Park and directly across 191 are roads / trails leading to incredible rock climbs, slick rock and other forms of riding only limited by your imagination
I see the exact spot you're talking about:D Dropped a pin and saved for future reference.

270 Posts
Attendees are about evenly split between primitive camping off of Willow Springs Road and a formal private campground like Archview with it's gas station, mini-mart, showers, hook-ups and cabins.
The primitive camping has become more popular with all visitors, thus has become more crowded, and of necessity more regulated along Willow Springs. However there we all camp close to each other with nightly campfires and the associated camaraderie that really adds to the experience and builds lasting friendships. Easier to plan the next day's outing too .
If one really wants to ruffle some yuppie feathers by firing up the TWs every morning there is halfway between Archview and Willow Springs is a glamping ( glamorous camping) facility where you can spend $300 a night to sleep in one of their luxury tents. Heavens knows what they would think of us motorcycle hooligans.
I shall primitive camp once again mostly self-sufficient; cook in camp, shower and re-fuel at Archview. Typically one day we all get together at a nice Moab restaurant for a meal and visit.

Thanks, Fred!

Haha, I noticed that glamping spot you're talking about. It's called Under Canvas Moab...yeeeah, thanks, but no thanks, right?! Tdubs of Terror strike again!

Nightly campfires and a good restaurant meal sounds excellent.

My rig should be mostly self sufficient by then as well. So it sounds like it's free to shower at Archview? They don't require you to rent in order to use their facilities?

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
The cost was $10 for a shower at Archview in 2016 for non-guests if one did the honorable thing and not try to sneak in. Very nice shower and restroom facilities. Some of the deluxe cabins have their own baths.

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
I offered purple a room in our basement, but he prefers to rent his own cabin.
But I can offer the space to someone else, or you can park your trailer or rv alongside the house and plug into the house. Of course the house will be available for use of the restrooms. If anyone is interested, let me know.
It's within walking distance of downtown.
No offense intended – Given that I have little idea of what I’m getting into on this whole “Moab” trip, I just felt that a little “independence” was called for, both on your behalf as much as for myself. This way, if I decide that I’m too battered and bruised from the previous day, I can hole up in my cabin for the next day without causing any inconvenience to the other people out there, including yourself.

For me, this is about the trip to meet up with friends as much as it is about the riding.

It was (and remains) a kind offer, and hopefully one that someone else can take you up on

Hope to see you in the desert ……

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
And don't forget all that great camp cooking to be done.
We won't likely have Mel catering for us again but I could see if any of my tender garden fed locals want to come hop on the grill. Rabbit Jack 8:18.jpg

Squirrel run.jpg

270 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are dates "somewhat" set for this 2019 Moab outing?

If I can follow the dates in the postings put out there already, I'm seeing the week of April 27(Sat) through about May 4th (Sat)? Maybe arriving sooner if camping BLM to get a good camping spot April 24 or 25 or 26th arrival?

Seriously considering it!! The drive from my home to Moab is estimated to be 32 hours, towing the 20ft toy hauler. I know for sure I cannot do it in one shot. I'd like to have specific dates so I could make a plan on seeing things on the way out. Not sure I could tolerate 8-10 hours of driving a day, but what the hell.

41 - 60 of 635 Posts