TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to change my sprockets again from 50-55. Last time I changed them from 47-50 I bought new (3) of the flat plate double bolt locking plates that you bend one tab up on. You can use these two times but they are $10 a set. My question is this: has anybody ditched using these plates on the bolt head and replaced the stock lock nut with metric nylock nuts? Is there a good reason to keep the locking plate on the bolt heads? I can buy SS metric US made nylocks cheap and use over and over.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm not sure, but probably. What about your chain?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I ditched those locking plates the first time that I changed sprockets and have used Nylock locknuts ever since. They have worked well for me for one, two, and even three sprockets :D!

Wow! I guess you are quick at changing chains!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Wow! I guess you are quick at changing chains!
Hahaha, you're right about that - practice makes perfect!

I used to struggle removing/replacing master links, but now all I usually need is a small flat blade screwdriver (and maybe some needle-nose pliers, if it is an o-ring chain).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice triple TWB! Thanks I will switch nuts. Plus I have longer new o-ring chains coming.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
I just looked at mine and not only don't I bend the tabs, the plates are on the wrong end. I do use nyloc nuts with a split washer and I may have used a dab of blue Loctite too, it has been so long I don't remember but I am a big fan of Loctite.

Over kill to say the least but I can also say they have never come loose!

Tabs.JPG

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am with elime regarding the loctite....little dab will do ya! When I did my dual sprockets I used new nyloc nuts, dab of blue loctite (cause it matched the bike) and reused the old tab lock as well. Last thing I wanted was to have the cluster come loose somewhere miles into the hills and not be able to ride out. (plus it would be along way for Denice to go to get help for us !!) :eek:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Elime your lock plates are in the stock location on the bolt head. It makes me wonder what their purpose is extra vibration proof if the nuts loosen? It seems like a redundant system that's why I asked if people have ditched them. Two bolts tied together. Aero space stuff they used to drill holes in the heads and saftey wire tie them together.

I have never used lock tight with nylocks but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I ditched those locking plates the first time that I changed sprockets and have used Nylock locknuts ever since. They have worked well for me for one, two, and even three sprockets :D!

View attachment 32553
Brian - inquiring minds want o know. What is the purpose of the bolt just ahead of the chain tensioner on your swingarm?

Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Brian - inquiring minds want o know. What is the purpose of the bolt just ahead of the chain tensioner on your swingarm?

Thanks!
It would make a nice point for a lift of the swingarm.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts

Thanks!
When Joemama extended my swingarm, I had him weld on a couple of extra nuts on so that I could use two bolts as "spools" to allow the use of a rear swingarm stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground. They work great and are very handy to use.

Thanks again Joe for the great work!

100_4610.JPG

·
Registered
416 Posts
Excellent idea, that is what I thought they were for. As you know, TDubber's have vivid imaginations so it's always good to verify before wandering off into fantasy land! When I bought my '94 and '00 I let the guy that sold them talk me into buy his jack motorcycle lift. Best $30 I've spent in a long time.

Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
314 Posts

View attachment 32553
TW-brian if you don't mind sharing the information what is the tooth count on those three rear sprockets.?
What counter sprocket did you use with this set of rear sprockets??
Thanks
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts