TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question to ask about sprockets.

I hear many mention they like the 15/50 sprocket combonation. We all know its easier to change out the rear sprock, so if I drop the rear sprocket to a 49 tooth, and leave the 14 on the front, will I have the same effects and ratio as the 15/50 combo?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Going up one tooth on the front, is roughly the same as dropping three on the rear, a 47 tooth rear would be closer than a 49

. This chart shows the different gear ratio's.

a 15-50 is a 3.37 ratio

a 14-49 is a 3.50

a 14-47 is 3.38

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks r80rt!!!!

I think I'm going to go with the 47 rear, as I'm riding relatively flat ground! I know OMM went with the 47 and he is very happy, and lives in Michigan like I do!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm 160 pounds and the 47 tooth on rear seems to be fine. When I got my bike it had a 44 tooth back there and I had a higher top speed in 4th gear than 5th.

I don't like it when bikes behave like that, so I changed it to have a higher top speed in 5th gear.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thanks r80rt!!!!

I think I'm going to go with the 47 rear, as I'm riding relatively flat ground! I know OMM went with the 47 and he is very happy, and lives in Michigan like I do!

Thanks again!
Darn right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will like it unless you are climbing up the BIG Mac bridge towers .(O; OMM.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
For what it's worth, I tried the 14/47 and it dropped my mpg and trail performance suffered. Trail performance such as creeping in first where there really isn't any trail and going up steep inclines on and off the road. I guess if your trails are mostly flat and open it would be OK or if you are doing only commuting.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
For what it's worth, I tried the 14/47 and it dropped my mpg and trail performance suffered. Trail performance such as creeping in first where there really isn't any trail and going up steep inclines on and off the road. I guess if your trails are mostly flat and open it would be OK or if you are doing only commuting.
That's one thing I don't really miss is the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow 1st gear..... I do 90% on road riding.. And the 10% off road is hard flat trails........... 5MPH first gear was useless to me.... OMM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so let me add another question about going to a 14/47 combo. I'm 220 lbs, so is this going to hurt me in 5th gear! That's a rock solid 220 lbs!

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts

+1

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If you are a serious off road rider 50/50 then keep the 14/50 or even go 14/55. But for our riding in Mich. the 14/47 is the cats whiskers. I go 220lbs. and I still get 80+ mpg. We have land in Da-yooper with miles of two track roads to play on... NO problems at all... Except our sugar sand, but that's in our set-up.... We are running the street front tire. But even with the stock front tire I hated sand... Good luck with your choice. OMM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMM, I'm like you, I ride mostly 95% pavement, and very little, if any off road. And, living in Michigan, I think the 14/47 will work just fine. Now I can agree with you fella's who live out west in mountain terrain liking the 14/50 combo.

Thanks for all the input here everyone! I think I know what I want to do, and will report on my experience when I get the sprockets changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts