TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Well ive got the14 t stock and I changed the rear to a 47.. Its better for the way I ride but thinking I wished id went with 45 toothed. Any comments guys.....Feel like I sorta butted in sorry JP
Unless you are riding flat lands I would stay with the 47 .....
But that's just me 😋
mike from NC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well ive got the14 t stock and I changed the rear to a 47.. Its better for the way I ride but thinking I wished id went with 45 toothed. Any comments guys.....Feel like I sorta butted in sorry JP
Nah man that’s what the post is for.
that’s what this is for, no worries. I’ve been riding for a couple of hours now and this has been the best setup I’ve had so far. It’s not SCREAMING like it was before 😂

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I run a 15/50 = 14/47 99% of the time. If i was riding all road i would go 14/45. Any higher than that and you better be 95lbs and have a tail wind. These bikes dont have the power to run much taller gearing. My buddy bought a bike that had a 40t rear sprocket. It would run faster in 4th gear than it would 5th gear. It felt nice at 45-50mph but after that it ran out of steam. You would pull less rpm at 55mph but almost full throttle to hold it there. I ran a 15/47 on a 1600 mile road trip and it had its advantages and disadvantages. I personally would never go taller than that. Off roading the stock 14/50 is hard to beat. Ran a 15/54 in High elevation Colorado riding and it worked out good. First time there i ran 14/47 and it wouldnt muster more than 45-50mph between Gunnison and Crested Butte but would run 60+ with the 15/54. So many variables but in my opinion stay between at 45-50 rear gearing.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
722 Posts
14/47 here... like it.

Mostly street
Sea level
170# w/ gear
Bridgestone TW204 (rear)
Shinko 700 Series Dual Sport (front)

Considered 14/45, but didn't want to break links. Now thinking about 15/47, which I think I may be able to do with the snail adjusters + lighter cost of a counter-sprocket.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
722 Posts
I'm sorta where you are - if I were doing it over, I might have tried the 14/45 for my purposes. I already determined, to go to a 45 would demand that I break & remove 1 link to stay within the snail adjusters range +$20 sprocket. (Pass). That's what made me think of changing the counter-sprocket for $9 & keeping my chain length as-is.

A change of (1 tooth) on the counter-sprocket = a change of (3 teeth) on the rear sprocket.

If true, then the 15/47 I'm considering = approx. 14/44. I'd rather not go taller than 14/45, but for the price & ease of swapping a countersprocket, I may just give it a go. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm sorta where you are - if I were doing it over, I might have tried the 14/45 for my purposes. I already determined, to go to a 45 would demand that I break & remove 1 link to stay within the snail adjusters range +$20 sprocket. (Pass). That's what made me think of changing the counter-sprocket for $9 & keeping my chain length as-is.

A change of (1 tooth) on the counter-sprocket = a change of (3 teeth) on the rear sprocket.

If true, then the 15/47 I'm considering = approx. 14/44. I'd rather not go taller than 14/45, but for the price & ease of swapping a countersprocket, I may just give it a go. Any input appreciated.
Just installed 15t front and 45t rear with an XRING chain. What’s everyone else’s setup?
I've only run 14 x 45 and ride 100% dirt, rocks, mountains & technical stuff. It seems most people who ride 100% off road go to larger than stock rear (or smaller front) sprockets for more torque for climbing. While the taller gearing of 45T rear vs stock requires frequent clutch slipping when tackling steeper climbs it has a longer first (and all others) gear than stock & therefore to me has a more usable first gear than a granny gear. The downside is the TW doesn't have a silky smooth hydraulic clutch like my trials bike & results in lots of left forearm pump on tricky climbs - but that's all part of the riding workout I figure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On the topic... has anyone found a better gearing ratio for keeping up to highway speeds in steep terrain without sacrificing too much low end? I'm about sell my TW simply based on this and am considering the KLX300 after having rode a couple of them (but it is still simply not a TW when off road - really nothing is). I hate to part with the TW, but not being able to keep up with traffic and riding the shoulder to let people by in too many situations where I am is kind of killing it for me at this point. I've got a DR-Z I am never parting with, but anyone that knows that platform knows the high first gear sucks on single track and results in a LOT of friction zone riding, which is where the TW absolutely shines. Always a trade off. Just cannot find the best of both worlds. Once I get to the trails after a lot of riding on the DR-Z, I want my TW, but getting to the trail I am longing for the DR-Z. LOL.... decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
On the topic... has anyone found a better gearing ratio for keeping up to highway speeds in steep terrain without sacrificing too much low end? I'm about sell my TW simply based on this and am considering the KLX300 after having rode a couple of them (but it is still simply not a TW when off road - really nothing is). I hate to part with the TW, but not being able to keep up with traffic and riding the shoulder to let people by in too many situations where I am is kind of killing it for me at this point. I've got a DR-Z I am never parting with, but anyone that knows that platform knows the high first gear sucks on single track and results in a LOT of friction zone riding, which is where the TW absolutely shines. Always a trade off. Just cannot find the best of both worlds. Once I get to the trails after a lot of riding on the DR-Z, I want my TW, but getting to the trail I am longing for the DR-Z. LOL.... decisions, decisions....
Unfortunately that's the world we live in .......

·
Registered
461 Posts
I run a 15/50 = 14/47 99% of the time. If i was riding all road i would go 14/45. Any higher than that and you better be 95lbs and have a tail wind. These bikes dont have the power to run much taller gearing. My buddy bought a bike that had a 40t rear sprocket. It would run faster in 4th gear than it would 5th gear. It felt nice at 45-50mph but after that it ran out of steam. You would pull less rpm at 55mph but almost full throttle to hold it there. I ran a 15/47 on a 1600 mile road trip and it had its advantages and disadvantages. I personally would never go taller than that. Off roading the stock 14/50 is hard to beat. Ran a 15/54 in High elevation Colorado riding and it worked out good. First time there i ran 14/47 and it wouldnt muster more than 45-50mph between Gunnison and Crested Butte but would run 60+ with the 15/54. So many variables but in my opinion stay between at 45-50 rear gearing.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Running 55 moh at full throttle is definitely a good indication that the gearing is stupidly tall and will definitely wear the engine out faster than had you left stock gearing and let it scream.

I rode my TW 99.9% street and went as low as 14/44. Much too tall, and even that may have put extra wear on the engine versus a shorter gearing. I went 14/45 and it felt exactly the same.

14/47 was MUCH better. I could charge up a slight incline at 40-45 mph and it had pulling power. With the 44/45 on the same hill, a downshift was always necessary and it lost speed at full throttle in 5th. Cruised pretty good at 50-55, noticeably better than stock gearing.

I honestly can't recommend any taller than 14/47. It probably just wears the engine out faster anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The problem for the most part in many of these bikes is the spacing of the gearing in the transmissions. The people that design them don't use in my opinion.
Running 55 moh at full throttle is definitely a good indication that the gearing is stupidly tall and will definitely wear the engine out faster than had you left stock gearing and let it scream.

I rode my TW 99.9% street and went as low as 14/44. Much too tall, and even that may have put extra wear on the engine versus a shorter gearing. I went 14/45 and it felt exactly the same.

14/47 was MUCH better. I could charge up a slight incline at 40-45 mph and it had pulling power. With the 44/45 on the same hill, a downshift was always necessary and it lost speed at full throttle in 5th. Cruised pretty good at 50-55, noticeably better than stock gearing.

I honestly can't recommend any taller than 14/47. It probably just wears the engine out faster anyway.
Yeah... I have just been beating around the bush with this. Basically... I have to find a very seductive way to talk the Mrs. into why a third bike is ideal - LMAO... and then I'll also learn how to turn lead into gold. I know I'm not going to part with the TW, it just fits a role no other bike can fill. That KLX is looking really attractive right now as well, though. I'm not of the prepper mindset, but to me the TW is probably one of the ultimate SHTF bikes you could have. It goes further on less gas across harsher terrain than any other bike I've had with less ease, but it will just never do it fast. Question now is... how long will the honey-do list be if I can talk her into a third dual sport. Either you will read about my success or my obituary. Ah well...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where I am is relatively flat land, but even with the sprocket setup I have now I still off-road and can get up hills just fine. I maxed it out at almost 80mph, which I definitely consider to be highway speeds 😂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts