TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Sprocket wear

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  TW-Brian 
#1 ·
I took a close look at my sprockets and noticed some wear. I know the top layer is black paint and the bottom layer is steel, but what is the silver in the middle? Some kind of plating or possible a primer paint? Any ideas anyone? It does seem very durable.

See less See more
#3 ·
Your half link is causing that.

#4 ·
Jeffrey -- There are about 450 miles on the smaller sprocket. It is more out of line than the big sprocket and is displaced to the left. I have only replaced the front(14t) and rear sprocket(55t) once. The small rear sprocket is a 45t and is a very recent addition.

lizrdbrth -- And I am not using the half link. Thanks for remembering!

#5 ·
[quote name='Tony' date='07 April 2011 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1302222217' post='15888']

lizrdbrth -- And I am not using the half link. Thanks for remembering!

[/quot3

Aight, then. I stand corrected. But if you used it initially you may have set up that wear pattern. Otherwise it's classic misalignment, which shouidn't a be the case since that sprocket is in its original location.

I'm sure you know this, but in a normal situation that kinda wear would indicate that the right side of your axle is further forward than the left. The silver is burnishing.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Both sides of the sprocket the same? I'm about to go dual, myself. Curious.

#7 ·
If you recall Qwerty did the chain length calcs on the 13/15 combo up front, which unfortunately won't work with standard front sprockets since the chain will rub the shoulder of the 15 when the 13 is in use. I'm gunna try machining the 15 shoulder down to the same dimension as the 13 on that side. I'm not messed up about adding a chunk of chain to change gearing with a standard roller chain, but the master links on an o-ring chain can be a real pain to mess with on the side of the road. This seems the most practical long-term solution and probably the only significant expansion on Gizmo's original dual front sprocket setup.

I'll need to re-crunch Qwerty's calcs to suit the added rolling diameter of the Bighorn2 because in my case a 55T is my "stock" sprocket with that tire. I think Qwerty's hit on a good plan.

I'll put all that on the other thread once we get back from our 66 trip cuz right now a certain young lady will clobber me if I jeopardize the trip by "experimenting". lol.

Did you come up with the likely cause of your sprocket wear?

#11 ·
Hi Tony,

To address your original question regarding the composition of your sprockets - they should be just steel covered with an outer coat of paint. Or in the case of aluminum sprockets - they will be just aluminum covered by clear or colored anodizing or paint. There is no other metal involved. I believe that what you are seeing is simply an artifact of the varying surface textures on the teeth as a result of wear/polishing/burnishing as mentioned earlier. Throw in some grime and chain lube/wax buildup, etc., and appearances can be very deceiving but there is no mystery material involved. I hope this is helpful.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.