TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious , what brand of replacement sprockets do folks use when they replace the front and rear ?. I've read good and bad things for certain brands. TIA

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've had great luck with JT Sprockets for my TW and other bikes. They are priced right, seem to be well made and last for thousands of miles. I've used them on my TW, VStrom and SV650.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response. I searched with no luck on where Sunstar and JT sprockets are made......country wise. I'll find it at some point.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I use JT. Sunstar has a good rep too.

There's someone selling a brand-new 47T on these boards right now. Didn't say what brand.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the additional responses, much appreciated. Just trying to research sprockets prior too purchasing. Do not want any unpleasant surprises.....such as , having to use washers etc to make the sprocket fit properly. TIA

·
Registered
303 Posts
PBI's are US made and if you shop around, can be had for pretty reasonable prices. Look on ebay. I think I got a 15T front sprocket from PBI for like $12.

Supersprox are also top quality and I believe US made as well, their main selling point is the hybrid aluminum hub/steel teeth on the rears to save a bit of weight/look cool and they claim a special alloy on the fronts to deal with mega HP bikes. I'd think these are kind of overkill for a 12hp TW, but hey whatever floats your boat. I can attest to their durability in those applications, I got close to 30k out of a set on a Z1000 that I generally rode like I'd just stolen it that was feeding 140hp to the wheel.

JT is generally my go-to for anything else. They're cheap, never had any issues with fitment or premature wear.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
PBI, SunStar, JT and Supersprox are all good quality and to be honest so too are the stock OEM ones. More than anything where sprockets are concerned is the chain you run on them. I will be the first to say if you are going to go through the trouble of replacing both front and rear TW sprockets you will be foolish to not buy a high quality O or X ring chain. You will double, triple or even quadruple your sprocket life and you won't be adjusting and lubricating the chain every couple hundred miles.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the additional responses, great info folks, much appreciated! !!.
I'm heavily leaning towards an X ring chain......but , a bit costly......we'll see. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parts Giant has the DID 428vx......x ring chain for $72-ish......I'm going with that.
Ordered OEM sprockets today with CS and outer bearing seals........chain and battery.......probably Motocross version of YTZ7S battery. Hooooorah!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Parts Giant has the DID 428vx......x ring chain for $72-ish......I'm going with that.
Ordered OEM sprockets today with CS and outer bearing seals........chain and battery.......probably Motocross version of YTZ7S battery. Hooooorah!
That is the chain I just installed on my TW last night. I got mine from Rocky Mt ATV for $65.00. Looks high quality.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Thank you for the additional responses, great info folks, much appreciated! !!.
I'm heavily leaning towards an X ring chain......but , a bit costly......we'll see. Thanks again.
Cost of the DID VX chain is directly relevant to the longevity and time savings so the cost is actually minor. You will spend very little time adjusting and oiling the new chain and as a benefit since the VX chain does not stretch your sprockets will last considerably longer with very little wear to them. My buddy did the new chain and sprockets with the DID VX and in over 3,000 miles he has adjusted it just once and said it really didn't even need adjusting. Sprockets look practically new and he is a happy camper. Just never, ever use a high pressure washer near the X ring chain which could blow the rings right out of it. Warm water with a little Dawn dish detergent works great and I have the best luck with the spray on wax type of lubricants. You will love that the rear rim no longer looks like it went through an oil patch from all the normal lubricating the stock chain requires that ends up tossed all over the entire rear wheel. $65 or $75 for 10,000 miles plus peace of mind is a bargain in my book.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great info Gary. I've never used high pressure on any of my bikes over the years......maybe a garden hose but that's it. I've been using Honda's chain lube with Moly. I went ahead and ordered a set of OEM sprockets , didn't want to deal with shimming after market units.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts