TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Sprockets

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Jazzybiker 
#1 ·
I have to replace the chain and sprockets on my bike. I got a chain, but what brand of sprocket? Was just going to replace with stock Yamaha, but thought about Sunstar or JT as well. What do most of you guys use? Thanks-Glenn.

#2 ·
You can use any sprockets. Most of us get after market sprockets and not necessarily Yamaha. Are you going with a O-ring chain?

#4 ·
Not at this time on the o-ring chain. On a very tight build/rejuvenate budget right now, but I did score a nice tsubaki chain for cheap. I've always been very anal about keeping a chain cleaned and lubed, so for me non-oring is not a big deal. Will probably just go with the Yamaha sprockets then, they seem to be in the same price range as the others. Got this bike (2006) with only 790 miles on it. Previous owner only lubed chain with some sticky white grease crap and mostly east Tennessee clay mud! Sprockets and chain badly worn, that's why the replacement necessary at only 790 mi. I actually got it out for the first time tonight on the pavement. Been waiting weeks till I got enough $ together for title/registration/plate ($205!) Anyway-really nice ride after work tonight, up through river road in Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l park. I think I'm really going to like this bike. First bike I've been on that road with where I kept it in fifth gear the whole time!-Glenn.

#6 ·
Thanks Brian! I sure am lucky to be in such a nice area. Almost all my daily riding roads are no faster than 45mph speed limit anyway. Many, many offroad trails here too. Just have to get used to the high revs of the engine! I know the thing can take it but.....

#7 ·
I think sprockets are sprockets and the OEM from Yamaha is just as good as the JT and I would not be surprised if JT makes the OEM ones. As you already know, keeping the roller chain clean and adjusted is your best defense against premature wear. The O and X ring chains are actually a bargain in the long run and save you both time and money if you can afford the initial outlay.

GaryL

#8 ·
Chain durability seems to be pretty dependant on how much mud and dust its coming into contact with. I seem to get the same amoount of offroad mileage out of a standard chain that I do out of an oring. I just replaced an oring chain after way less than 1000 miles. I always end up getting a chain and sprocket set off ebay for like $42 cause the shop in town is pretty proud of their wares, and rarely has the sprocket sizes I run (12-55)

#10 ·
I just replaced an oring chain after way less than 1000 miles.

I always end up getting a chain and sprocket set off ebay for like $42 cause the shop in town is pretty proud of their wares...

Those two sentences explain each other. I put an O-Ring chain on my bike at 2,000 miles and it still looks new at 8,000. A good O-ring chain of a good name brand should last quite a while on the TW. I used to get 20,000 miles out of the DID chain and JT Sprockets on the DR650. If you need a chain at 1,000 miles then that must have been a really cheap chain or you are riding in sand every single day.

#11 ·
Standard roller chains in the dirt are pretty lame. Cheap O ring chains are not much better. Most chain wear happens between the roller and the pins and can't be seen. Those who constantly apply chain lube and maybe wipe or wash the grit off are mostly just adding oil to grit and making a good grinding compound under the rollers.

DID is arguably the best chains on the market. They make rollers, O ring and X ring chains. I don't believe you could find a serious Motocross or Enduro rider that uses anything but high quality O/X ring chains. On a TW with the way the front sprocket is accessed for replacement it makes good sense to use the best chain you can afford.

GaryL

#13 ·
Ya, I know. This is bike #36 for me. Had plenty of O-ring chains, and they're great, just can't do the cash outlay right now. Will be riding mostly pavement anyhow. Need to replace my left crankcase cover along with the sprocket change because previous owner let the chain get so loose, it came off the sprockets at one time and wadded up in the cover, bulging/cracking it. So, i'm spending $ on that too. Guess I should have looked around for a nicer example of a TW, but even with all the repair parts cost, i'll still be at about half the cost of a new one.-Glenn.

#14 ·
Just a FYI, your cover may not need to be replaced if the crack/bulge isn't too bad. Lots of TW side cases have had similar injuries and continue to be in service. If you are worried if it may be a structural problem, post a couple of pictures and we can let you know.

#15 ·
Thanks- the only "structural" problem with it is between my ears! I can't stand the sight of it. I'm trying to remove all the "residue" of f**k ups from the previous owner. Thanks for the help-Glenn.

#16 ·
If super sticky lube is used and the sand ,grit, etc. can't escape ,yes, the chain will live a short life . A Scott oiler or something would be nice , oil pushing out the grit and grime . Yes , it would be a bit messy ,but were talking about chain life .

#17 ·
This is all good information for me. I'm new here, btw. I just got my TW200 last night (my main bike is a BMWr1200r) and have heard about changing out the sprocket, partly for better pavement riding. I have to ride pavement to get to the trails. Is this what I need to do, change to an o ring? Also, since the bike is new, can anyone tell me about getting the seat off? This is where I'd normally store the tool 'kit', etc., but this seat does not come off with the key, but instead needs a tool to remove some bolts…. how do you all handle this?

#18 ·
Congratulations Jazzybiker on your new scoot.
Tool kit is behind the right side plastic panel located just behind fuel tank. This cover pulls off w/o tools by hand.
Seat is held in place by two bolts with 10mm hex heads. Bolts can be seen from below rear fender and are ~ at midpoint of seat at seat's perimeter. I usually sit on ground to see well and use a 1/4" drive with 3" extension and 10mm socket. Battery hides under seat and you will periodically service it topping off electrolyte with distilled water.
Welcome to the club. We are a fairly friendly group so feel free to ask away when uncertain.

Reactions: TW-Brian
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.