TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2019 TW.. took it in a few weeks ago for its 600 mile break in period maintenance. Got it back and rode it approximately 20 miles... first I noticed that when changing into 2nd gear the shifter is VERY stiff and have to give it my all to get it into 2nd. After the initial shift it seems to be fine but this has happened 3x already! Now today I’m cruising down the street and start coming to a stop sign and downshifting when the bike loses power and shuts off! It fires up again then wants to do the same thing 100 yards up the road at the light. I accelerate and when I do I hear this very loud squealing sound! I give it a little gas and the sound returns. Luckily I’m around the corner from a buddy’s house and was able to get there and park it. I contacted the dealership who worked on it and I’m taking it in tomorrow morning? Any ideas of what’s going on? Sounded like the damn engine wanted to seize up. Now I’m scared cause this is a brand new bike!!!!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Never, EVER let a dealer change the TW's oil and filter! You now need a new top end, which of course the dealer should not charge you one penny for.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
To shed a bit more light our bikes standard oil filter has four holes that allow oil to flow where it’s needed. There are numerous documented cases of oil filters with no holes being erroneously sold and installed.

It could be something else wrong, but this has all the signs, including difficulty shifting and metal on metal sounds.

Let us know what they find. You might want to insist on being present when they check the oil filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I knew I shouldn’t have had them do it but when I bought the bike, part of the deal was first service on them. I really hope it’s just a filter change but it sure sounded like it wanted to seize up. I’m sure I’ll get some run-a-round problems with them accepting responsibility and trying to make me pay for it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Check your bill and see if they charged you for a new oil filter. They come with a screen filter that should last many many years! They only need to be cleaned and re installed.
I still use the original since bought bike new innew 2013. bought a spare filter to have in case mine develops damage , Part # 5HO-13440-90. It is metal screen with 4 holes.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yea I knew I shouldn’t have had them do it but when I bought the bike, part of the deal was first service on them. I really hope it’s just a filter change but it sure sounded like it wanted to seize up. I’m sure I’ll get some run-a-round problems with them accepting responsibility and trying to make me pay for it.
It will require more than just a filter change...as RockyTFS said: this will need a complete top-end rebuild at the very least.
Make sure you are there when they pull the filter.

See this post (it's in French but you can still get what they are talking about) Oil filter mix-up it shows the two types of filters that will fit in the TW...but only one (with the holes) is made for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well guys I took it in and they fired it up. No shrieking sounds. They kept her overnight and are trying to duplicate the conditions I heard with nothing today. They think it’s a tranny issue. Mechanic rode it in front of me and instantly noticed the tranny is dragging. I’m heading into a 72 hour shift at work so I couldn’t be there any longer. Lead mechanic was from my hometown so hopefully he’s honest with me. He said the bike is still under warranty so if there is something really wrong it should be covered. They said I’m not paying for services rendered too. I’ll keep updating once I learn more

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Well, that's rather strange. If the cam was toast because of putting in the wrong filter it would only sound worse and worse until it seized completely. I would still want verification, by photo if necessary, that it was the correct filter they put in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another update... they took it apart and they said the clutch plates are burnt up. They are contacting Yamaha to check warranty. They are saying high probability not rider fault. Should know more next week.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Check your bill and see if they charged you for a new oil filter. They come with a screen filter that should last many many years! They only need to be cleaned and re installed.
I still use the original since bought bike new innew 2013. bought a spare filter to have in case mine develops damage , Part # 5HO-13440-90. It is metal screen with 4 holes.
Did you check your bill for this? Did they replace the filter?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts