TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who bought this super cool SR250 Engine — 1987 Yamaha TW200????

Found it here https://www.bike-urious.com/sr250-engine-1987-yamaha-tw200/
and thought I better make a note of it before it goes away as it's been sold already!
Does anyone on this forum own this bike and can tell us how the performance of the motor has
been as in, is this a good motor donor.

From the post:
Notice anything peculiar about this TW? See how the tank says TW250? Well, Yamaha never made a TW250 — but the builder of this oddball did. It features an engine swap from a Yamaha SR250, which doesn’t just bump up power to 20hp, it also gives a more powerful alternator and electric start.

The lasting power of the TW200 is impressive — Yamaha still makes it and all that seems to change over the years is the paint scheme. It’s reliable, slow, and street legal, which makes it an excellent rig to throw on the back of a mobile home or use as a in-town runabout.

This bike has the carb from a XT, headling from a SR, Renthal bars, and progressive springs. This bike is basically half TW and half SR, topped with the 3 gallon fuel tank from a XT350. The main cosmetic issue is a dent on the tank, but for an extra $250 the seller will throw in luggage racks with 3 1-gallon gas cans and mounts.

Reactions: Old n dirty and Ken

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
If Yamaha raided it's Parts Bins it could really assemble and market some capable machines from leftovers. Better surplus Yamaha forks and brakes could make for additional bolt-on upgrades to the above 250.

Reactions: GCRAD1 and Ken

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Parts bin bikes are great and parts are easier to find. My YX600 is a parts bin bike which was made that way. So many people have been creative with the TW it would be interesting to see what Yamaha could throw together from the parts bins. The bike above was well done.

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
Exactly Ken! Just look what a set of Tri-Z forks can do or the Old Girl's stance.

Reactions: Ken and GCRAD1

·
Registered
149 Posts
Exactly Ken! Just look what a set of Tri-Z forks can do or the Old Girl's stance.
Who's TW is this?
Do you know Fred? I ask because I'm Resto-modding my '87 and have the triple-trees being milled to 34mm and the fork lowers @ powder-coat already bought oil seals, dust covers, stem bearings and Tri-Z front axle to go with new ('85) forks I bought.
My question's are about geometry, the forks in the picture are flip flopped from what the Tri-Z stance is and what rear shock was used. It sets nice wonder how it handles

Reactions: Ken and GCRAD1

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tri-Z forks on TW

Couple hurtles to jump through in going with Tri-Z forks.

1. Most every set you find is rust-pitted.
2. The tube's are larger diameter than TW tubes, 34mm as apoised to 33mm (Had to have jig made to hold triple trees for milling)
3. The axles are different. (Had to get Tri-Z axle and have machining done)
4. The axles spacers are different.
5. Oil and Dust seals will need to be replaced and their not cheap like TW's are.
6. Not all year Tri-Z forks work, tubes on the '86 require to much material to be removed from TW triple trees.

Not trying to slow anyone down. Just want to let you know what your in for. I've spent close to $500 and don't have all the pieces back for assembly.

Additionally, if you change the front your gonna need to do something different in the back.

20180701_142902.jpg
20180701_142909.jpg
20180701_142942.jpg
20180701_143010.jpg
20180701_163029.jpg

Reactions: GCRAD1

·
Registered
149 Posts

2. The tube's are larger diameter than TW tubes, 34mm as apoised to 33mm (Had to have jig made to hold triple trees for milling)
5. Oil and Dust seals will need to be replaced and their not cheap like TW's are.
6. Not all year Tri-Z forks work, tubes on the '86 require to much material to be removed from TW triple trees.

Not trying to slow anyone down. Just want to let you know what your in for. I've spent close to $500 and don't have all the pieces back for assembly.

Additionally, if you change the front your gonna need to do something different in the back.

Apposed, sorry l forgot two P!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
Hi Old n dirty. blue gizmo.jpg

This is the old Mr.Gizmo bike I bought from forum member Gerry a few years ago. He did the heavy lifting of the original build a decade or more ago and I have only re-worked it to a certain degree to suit my tastes.
The longer travel suspension front and rear transforms the TW, you will be pleased. Your resto-mod looks like it will be very impressive.
There is a fair amount of creativity involved in the mod but the result handles trail hack at much greater speeds. Gerry kept the '06's disc brake so came up with a suitable caliper mount. Bottom of forks do protrude down in harms way though, mine are going to get smacked in a rock garden some day.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you,
I'm really enjoying the journey, as l do this I'm reminded of builds from the 60's and 70's with Dad.
When he was living he rode this for a couple years and we worked on it together. Had to replace CDI in 2000.
I know he's still helping me because when I was young I always looked for the short cuts, he would say:
"Son, if your gonna do it, your gonna do it right, now take it back apart and start again!" :mad:

I used to hate when he said that, now I just smile when it's not right, then take it apart and do it right.:D

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
Gerry apparently liked redundancy. As purchased it came with:

Dual oil coolers
Dual rear sprockets
Dual front sprockets
Dual mufflers
Dual horns
Dual wiring runs for Trail Tec Vapor
Dual shielded wiring runs for the ham radio and other experiments
Dual cooling shrouds
But oddly enough seating for only one.:p

Little did Gerry know his portable ham radio station and scientific test bed that rarely went faster than 35 is now a sleet trail bombing long legged cruiser.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here's the left side of the bike in the original post:

View attachment 182160

It looks like someone figured out a very compact jack-shaft setup!

I'd like to know more about this one. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
It also looks like a mod to the rear CycleRack that allows either a hump, or no hump.
(Cute little turn signals, too!)
i had dating that used to have those features too.....
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like how the rear tail lights are tucked in as well. Rack protects the bike if dropped.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Apposed, sorry l forgot two P!
Actually, it is opposed, not apposed. English Prof :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts