TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed some friends' flyfishing camp for a few days. Great area. I hope to explore it more someday. How can you beat a day like this, in this setting, on a TW?

Starting to see a little color. A little smoke too.

This year's Alaskan halibut catch frying up for lunch.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Really nice place to ride. I've not ridden in that particular area before, but it's on my list. I've read several threads over on ADVrider forum of rides in the area. Were you on an old railroad bed, now road? Just wondering as the bridge looked like an old RR bridge. I can't remember for sure, but I think there is a route up in that area that goes from Avery to Wallace, ID through at least one awesome former railroad tunnel. Could be more, just don't remember.

Great picture's, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to hop on the TW and go for a spin!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just there on my TW a few weeks ago, and actually camped right next to that bridge, at least I think it is the bridge. There is a small campground right next to a bridge like that near the upper end of the St. Joe.

I am having some trouble with posting pictures, so will try later when I have more time. Anyway, nice area, although it was super cold in the morning when I left, and the sun takes a while to get into that deep canyon. I had everything on and had to stop about every 5-10 minutes to warm up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This was my camping spot.

Some pictures of the ride in. I started in Montana near I-90, and came over the top, riding along the ridge that is the border of Idaho and Montana, then down to the St. Joe.

Had to wait a bit for this logging operation to clear, so I had a late breakfast of huckleberries.

Good trip, bike did well, rider was pretty tired by the time he got down to the river, after about 80 miles, and 70 miles of that on FS roads. First overnight on the bike, so I was pleased that it all went well.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That particular bridge is just off of the St Joe River Rd on Beaver Creek Rd (NF-303). There is a little camp area called Beaver Creek right there, so it is probably where you stayed, swimmer. Great area, great pics from you too. I bet that was a good time! I'd love to know more about the route you took. Where did you come from in MT? I know those road can take you to St Regis and Superior. Like I said, I briefly crashed some friends flyfishing camp, and they go every year for a week or so. I'm going to have to start joining them to explore more on the TW. Btw, awesome shot of your TW loaded up with the scenic background.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know how to do the map thing on here, but I can tell you the FS roads I took. I was on I-90 from Spokane, and took the Taft exit to road 810, then went up to the 391, and followed it along the ridge to Dry Creek saddle. Then I went down the 1219 to the St. Joe River. That was a real long haul, so I quit there and I did stay at Beaver Creek. On the way back, I followed the St. Joe River to road 338, then back on 391 to return. Real neat ride pretty much everywhere along the route. I had intended to take another route past Dry Creek Saddle, as I was told by the Forest Service that the trail was open to motorcycles past there, but I think what they meant was that it was legal to ride on that trail, it just wasn't possible. There are lots of trails on the maps that really don't exist anymore, or are really foot traffic only. So my route changed quite a bit from the plan, but it still was a good trip, and the huckleberries were ripe. I wouldn't mind riding in that area again sometime.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I just followed your route on the map. What a haul! How was that Bird Cr Rd - 338? We were camping just a mile or two further west on the St Joe Rd. I had thought about going up it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really nice place to ride. I've not ridden in that particular area before, but it's on my list. I've read several threads over on ADVrider forum of rides in the area. Were you on an old railroad bed, now road? Just wondering as the bridge looked like an old RR bridge. I can't remember for sure, but I think there is a route up in that area that goes from Avery to Wallace, ID through at least one awesome former railroad tunnel. Could be more, just don't remember.

Great picture's, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to hop on the TW and go for a spin!!!

Admiral, this was my first short trip to the area, so my knowledge is limited. I have been pouring over the maps though, as this is a wonderful piece of country. I drove the truck over Moon Pass Rd - FS 456 the 30 miles from Wallace to Avery. It is a dirt/gravel rd, but fairly well traveled by vehicles. There are spurs and atv/snowmobile trails that run a lot of the same route. There is also the Hiawatha trail up that way that has the 8771 ft (1.7 mi) long St Paul Pass - Taft Tunnel, which may be what you are thinking. This is an old Milwaukee railway that Idaho and Montana are developing into a rail-trail. Only a part of it though is open to motorized traffic. The tunnel and the rest is for non-motorized, to my understanding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 338 was one of the best parts of the trip, at least the top portion, and was quite interesting. There was one long hill that was very rocky that I had to just keep plowing up, so I did not get any pictures, but it was just challenging enough for me without getting crazy. As far as the tunnels go, the map shows some on the 456. Did you go through any on that road? I did the Hiawatha Trail this summer by bike, and most of it is non-motorized travel only. It's worth doing if you are into biking. I understand they are working on opening up the rest of the trail to St. Regis later, and that some will be open to motorized vehicles. I saw part of that trail going across the 810 road and it appeared to be completed, but not open to motorcycles. It should be interesting when opened. The long tunnel is very long and not lighted, so you have to wear a headlamp and pedal for 1 2/3 miles. It was pretty interesting, like bicycling in a cave.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the 456 had several tunnels. They are mostly on the southern half of the pass, and they are not terribly long. Since I was in my truck, I was mostly hoping that there was nobody coming from the other direction (they are single lane and mostly around corners), and watching for headlights inside them as my eyes adjusted from the sunshine outside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts