TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.
my basket case tw200 has finally arrived!
i'm assuming it's an '87 (see pic below)
a couple of questions:

standard chain is 428 correct?
would a 120 link chain be long enough for standard gearing?
and what are the standard sprocket tooth counts?

ken in NZ

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
DID 428 VX X-Ring Chain 428x122

Fits: 2012 YAMAHA TW200

Part# 1403820002
Stock set up.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
14 50 on the sprockets.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
14x47 or 14x50 are oem sprocket combinations seen here. It looks mostly there and very restorable.
I would be tempted to lose the baby blue color myself.
Gonna restore to stock or modify it a bit? How many miles?

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you need new sprockets get a 15t for the front and your chain will last longer.
(edit) ProCycle lists a 54t rear, 15/54 is very close to the stock 14/50. ;)

MAC

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your help guys.
i actually now have two - identical as i bought another one!
i have a set of white plastics - and have bought 2x pearl TW225 white tanks for about $120 each in your money. also may have a couple of mint seats for $50 us each.
the tank on this is perforated with rust!
i have no idea re miles - and havent run this one.
the one arriving next week does run i'm told.
i'll post the frame number later tonight perhaps that will help identify it
neither bike has been road registered as they were farm bikes, so i have no documents.

the plan is to get them both road legal and on knobbies, with racks and minimal road equipment, and have at least two runners (along with my BW200 as well) so i can ride with my friends on gravel etc
would also be able to host USA friends for NZ holidays maybe.....?

because - guys, you have to come see NZ.

k

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
On the white label above the stamped frame number there should be a date of manufacture. All of my state side TWs have the date on the label! The 1991 I had listed a manufacturer date of 11/90 and I think at some point around August or September they go to the next model year. That could mean if the manufacture date on the label is 8 or 9 of 1988 it could be a 1989 model.

BTW, stock sprockets are 14/50 with a 428 chain and 122 links. Buy a new side cover gasket when you get the chain and sprockets and while in there you might as well replace the seals for the shift shaft, both on the main sprocket shaft and the neutral shift indicator. Spend your money wisely and go for an O or X ringed chain that will last ten times longer.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
My guess is an '88 based on the light blue plastic. I emphasis the word "guess". However, overall it looks pretty good! In nothing else a lot of good parts.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
TurtleChaser, did you make a typo with the 15 tooth/47 tooth sprocket recommendation as being "about the same as stock" since 15/47 yields almost a 14% overdrive ( 13.981763%)?
This would result in performance and feel rather different from stock, sort of like losing first gear. To approximate factory final drive ratios using a 15 tooth front sprocket one would need a hypothetical rear sprocket of approximately 53.5 teeth, not 47 teeth; the closest commercially available sprocket to that is a 55 tooth.

·
Registered
254 Posts
TurtleChaser, did you make a typo with the 15 tooth/47 tooth sprocket recommendation as being "about the same as stock" since 15/47 yields almost a 14% overdrive ( 13.981763%)?
This would result in performance and feel rather different from stock, sort of like losing first gear. To approximate factory final drive ratios using a 15 tooth front sprocket one would need a hypothetical rear sprocket of approximately 53.5 teeth, not 47 teeth; the closest commercially available sprocket to that is a 55 tooth.

Yes Fred, I've been caught in another of a series of random senior moments :confused5:. Why would I suggest 15/47, must have been day dreaming of Bonneville :blink:.
Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo and I fixed the post.

apologies, MAC

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Could it be 9/03/2003?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts