116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks for the link Lizrdbrth. How did you do it so I am able next time....

No problem. Copy and paste it from your browser window.

In TW terms higher tensile strength is a good thing not because the massive, groundpounding horsepower of a TW leads to broken chains, but because higher tensile strength indicates better materials. Closer tolerances affect longevity with regard to chain stretch over time. Less chain stretch affects the number of new sprockets eaten by your bike over time. If these claims are true you'll be money ahead to spend the extra.

As to the O-ring vs. X-ring thing I'm thinking the difference may be somewhat negligible. I'd buy it for the tensile strength,

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have one of the d.i.d. o-ring chains that site says they won't recommend because it hasn't been updated in 10 years. the tw hasn't been updated in 10 years, so i guess they wouldn't recommend it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked and have been unable to find the "X Ring" type chain in the 428 size. As for the "o ring" chains:

RK 428 SO 5500# Tensile strength

EK Sroz 5300#

DID 428 Pro V 5340#

RK 428 MXZ non o ring 5800#

DID 428 Standard 4280#

I guess it comes down to time riding or time maintaining......

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
O-ring by RK, EK, or DID. That's all you need to know. Even the best open chain will die from neglect that an o-ring laughs off. Of course, if doing chain maintnance on a daily basis gives you motorgasms, then maybe an open chain is a good choice for you. Maybe the DID o-ring hasn't been updated in 10 years because they got it right the first time. Duh. If that's the best reason they can come up with to avoid that chain, I'd be questioning the rest of their reasoning, too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, Well I purchased the RK428SO Oring chain and a set of new sprockets. However I have a question. Do I need to get a chain press/tool for that RK chain? I attempted all of my old tricks to get the master link on with no success. If would appreciate any suggestions/ideas. Also great thread on chain adjustment, I will try that once I get the master link on toatally. Thanks......Almost ready for the dirt and maybe a little pavement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts