TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

Bought my first TW at the end of March '17. :) A garaged '94 with <2000 Miles that started right up and drove perfectly. Came with a battery tender and maintained regularly.

Because of it's age, I took it in for new tires... and now it will not start at all. :( :( I haven't been able to ride it since I picked it up from the local yamaha dealership.

I tried to troubleshoot it myself since I picked it up..

new gas
New ignition coil
new air filter
new spark plug
took apart carb and it is in like new condition. no plugs or leaks.
Cold compression app. 114 psi (since I can't get it started).

Checked all the safety shut offs (kickstand, neutral, etc). Won't start in neutral with kickstand up or down.

Did the TW tilt to the left and that didn't help either.

Q: How do I know if the spark is good enough? I see a faint spark when I test it... but is it enough?

I hate to replace the expensive CDI unless I am sure if that's the problem.

I'm at a loss and super frustrated. I want to ride my bike!

Any ideas or local help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks~ Laura

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks for stopping by Laura :wave: Hope you get it running soon

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
484 Posts
Did you ask the dealership about it? Presumably you did, and they weren't too helpful, which led you to do your own troubleshooting (which was a good idea).

Are you engaging the choke when you try to start it?

It sounds like you've got the fuel system pretty clean, so if the petcock is "on," and there's fuel in the carb, and the airway is clear, I'd be looking at the spark.

You're seeing a spark (however faint), which means your engine is cranking over... is it cranking with "gusto," or is it just barely turning? What happens when you try the kick-starter?

I'm new to TWs myself, but I think I read somewhere that the ignition systems on '88s and up are pretty dependent on good battery voltage (mine is an '87, and the wiring is quite a bit different).

When you turn your key on, your headlight puts an immediate draw on the battery, and then the starter draws even more... maybe it's not making enough voltage to run the bike...?

Maybe try charging the battery (with a real charger, not just a battery tender), then try starting the bike with the charger still attached.

Maybe also get in to the wiring, and unplug/replug every connector to ensure good electrical connections.

These bugs can be very frustrating to chase down.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Pour a little gas into the spark plug hole and I bet it fires right up. If it keeps running you are done. If it dies you have a fuel problem but my guess is there is nothing wrong and it will keep running.

Choke on, throttle closed, then crank it.

And welcome -- a new member for the NorCal Nutjobs! Tony

Correction: I looked up the official name and it is a very unimaginative "Northern California T-Dubbers".

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
another rainbow warrior! welcome, and best of luck getting it started. i'd be buzzing at the shop that took it in running and returned it not.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
This sounds crazy and to simple but try giving it a tiny bit of throttle as your crank the starter. This is how I have to start my tw every once in a while when it's stubborn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome!! Hope you find out what it is soon and are able to ride!! Keep us posted on what it was... :D

Reactions: cowboyjeff

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
The spark is hard to see especially in bright light.

Pour a little gas in the spark plug hole.

Spark + gas + compression = a running engine, if only briefly, but it tells you the spark and compression are good and your problem is in fuel delivery.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the engine will crank and there is a bit of spark all the switches are function correctly.
Not in neutral and stand down it will not crank..

Try the gas in the spark plug hole like Elime said and let us know how that goes.

You also can get a spare plug, remove the ignition wire from the engine plug and put it on the new plug. Put the new plug against the engine head so it has metal to metal contact and crank the engine. Watch the spark across the plug gap... It should spark... If not... then there is something going on with the coil primary circuit, wiring to the stator or..... the stator itself.

I am not a TW expert but know the mechanics and electronics of just about everything so if this goes down the tubes I might be able to help... I live in Fair Oaks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'd also recommend BHP Motorsports in Sacramento. Excellent service and Aaron is a great technician.

BHP Motorsports

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the engine will crank and there is a bit of spark all the switches are function correctly.
Not in neutral and stand down it will not crank..

Try the gas in the spark plug hole like Elime said and let us know how that goes.

You also can get a spare plug, remove the ignition wire from the engine plug and put it on the new plug. Put the new plug against the engine head so it has metal to metal contact and crank the engine. Watch the spark across the plug gap... It should spark... If not... then there is something going on with the coil primary circuit, wiring to the stator or..... the stator itself.

I am not a TW expert but know the mechanics and electronics of just about everything so if this goes down the tubes I might be able to help... I live in Fair Oaks.

Jim
I went through the service manual and tried all the troubleshooting tricks. I even borrowed a CDI and that didn't work either. I have tried all the ideas people have suggested here too. The bike still wont start :( I am in Orangevale and am planning on taking the bike to Capitol Yamaha b/c I am at a loss.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I went through the service manual and tried all the troubleshooting tricks. I even borrowed a CDI and that didn't work either. I have tried all the ideas people have suggested here too. The bike still wont start :( I am in Orangevale and am planning on taking the bike to Capitol Yamaha b/c I am at a loss.
Did you give it a shot of gas in the spark plug hole?

I could come over this afternoon and take a look.

PM me if you like.

Jim

·
Registered
515 Posts
Update:

Well My son and i linked up with Ldw and we went over to see what the situation is..

Ldw and friend are quite knowledgeable... and they had the basics pretty much down before we arrived. We just retraced their steps and did some deeper verification of the symptoms.

We spent about an hour going through some basics... But we were un-sucessful getting her engine to fire.

Engine cranks very good and strong but no start or even a burp.

Spark plug out there is no spark, spare plug no spark.

In line spark tester showed a weak spark, not enough to jump the gap of he plug.

Timing light would not trigger a flash.

We reseated the coil grounds.

Measured coil resistances.

Swapped the coil with a new but not proven coil.

Swapped ECU Ignition module, used and unknown if it is good or not , no change, weak spark

Un plugged, cleaned some corrosion on some contacts of all interface connectors. No change, weak spark.

She may have a fuel related problem but at this point we need enough spark to get a pop, using starter fluid and there is no fire!

Bummer that we could not find a quick down dirty solution to the problem...

My son is going to pick up Ldw's Dub and take it to his home shop in the next couple of days..

We can then scope and measure voltages and hopefully get a quick resolution to this issue.

It is strange that she had the tires replace, no other service and when she got the bike home it would not start...

We found no indication of anything amiss from the shop...

Jim

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'd concentrate on the weak spark. BTW kudos for stepping in to help. It is strange that this happened after changing the tires probably coincidence. When I lived in an apartment once I helped a neighbor with a broken leg. He had a Triumph 650 (70's) he wanted to sell and asked me if I would ride it down to the self car wash and wash it for him before he sold it so I did. Long story short after I rode it back, the next day it wouldn't start. He was blaming me for ruining his bike. What did I do to it etc. It turns out after much bruha one of the spark plugs was bad. The insulator had cracked from the washing but I had been able to ride it back before it stopped working. Anyway looking for a great outcome on the trouble shooting.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts