TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while, I've experienced problems with the starter switch on my 2013 TW200. When the problem started, it was a once in a blue moon occurrence. The switch would simply make a clicking sound that came from under the tank. It might happen once or twice but then the beast would start. The problem has gotten worse as of late and now the switch needs to be pushed ten or twenty times before it works. The battery is new and fully charged.
Before I begin to trouble shoot the cause, I would appreciate any input from others who might be familiar with this problem and what the most likely cause might be.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
What is battery voltage:
1. Key off?
2. Key on?
3. While cranking?

4. What is condition of BOTH ends of BOTH battery cables?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe a loose connection that only works when "wiggled" (aka toggling the switch) and is getting worse from use. Take the seat and tank off and look at all the connections.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Check the tabs in the push button to make sure they are not corroded or burnt. Then check the connections from the button to the relay after you are 100% positive the battery and it's connections are good. The relay is a common culprit and ridiculously expensive from Yamaha, like $60 but stupid cheap on Ebay, like $8, buy 2.

There is a way to test the relay I found on Fattireconversions.com and listed in the BW350 service manual on that site, same relay on the BWs as the TWs. Go here and scroll down to the Electrical starting system and they show the test procedure. https://fattireconversions.com/bw350/bw350servicemanual.html#electrical

GaryL

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Posts 4 & 5 are likely answers, but a few preliminary diagnostics are appropriate before going there.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
All of the above and get yourself a kick-starter so you don't have to be a slave to that Magic Button working or not.
TW is one of the few bikes made in the world today that you can still do this to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I managed to buy a complete kick starter kit and installed it last year. I'm glad I did it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts