TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have a 2013 with about 4500 miles on it. Lately it has developed a starting issue. The starter turns and there is not problem with the battery. However, occasionally the starter does not engage the motor. i.e. I can hear the starter turning but not cranking over the motor. To get it to start when this problem presents itself, I have rolled the bike a few feet and tried again. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?
I'm assuming I have a stripped gear somewhere but I'd like some reassurance from somebody who has faced this problem before. Where do I start to fix this problem? Thanks.

Zak

·
Registered
305 Posts
The one-way starter clutch is slipping. It's a fairly common issue on Yamaha's. It works as a continuous ratchet by using pucks that wedge against the smooth inner surface (the inner ridge on #4) when torque is applied in one direction (the starter cranking), then freewheels when torque is applied in the other(the engine running). Does the starter make a somewhat unpleasant noise? It's often described as a "box of rocks" sound, of the starter momentarily binding and slipping on the clutch.

2009 Yamaha TW200 (TW200Y) Starter | PartsFish.com

The clutch ring (#6) that holds these pucks can come loose, there's a few screws that hold it to the flywheel. When this happens it often won't grab the gear ring, or will do so intermittently and the starter just freewheels. The rings cracking, usually right at one of the bolt holes, isn't unheard of either, typically from the clutch jerking back and forth once it comes loose initially. To fix this, you have to remove the stator cover, and pull the flywheel. Check if the clutch ring is loose. Inspect the ring for any cracks. If it looks fine, remove each of the bolts (#10), put a drop of RED loc-tite on them, and reinstall. Problem should be fixed.

You can rent a harmonic balancer puller from auto parts stores that works great for MC flywheels. Tighten it up as much as you can with a regular length ratchet, then give the puller bolt a solid smack with a mini sledge. Re-tighten and repeat as needed, sometimes they're stubborn. Put a towel down because sometimes when they let go, they literally fly off.

If it still persists, or the clutch ring wasn't loose, I have also heard this problem associated with certain kinds of synthetic oil. Did the problem begin shortly after changing the oil? If so, changing to a different brand may help. Mobil 1 was notorious for causing slipping starters when I had my Vmax, often just changing to a different oil fixed the problem.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
I think that should identify and solve the problem. I have read that the rear axle bolt threads onto flywheel facilitating removal, if so might not need harmonic balancer puller

·
Registered
13,527 Posts
If you gotta take it apart as RaZed1 mentions, and Fred has mentioned the rear axle trick, here is some picture's I took when removing my flywheel with the rear axle. I used an electric impact wrench and it worked in about 1 second of hitting the trigger.

One of the "pucks" RaZed1 mentions is just to the right of the flywheel in this picture. They may fall out when removing the flywheel so watch out for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the replies.
The problem did start recently after an oil change and I have used Mobil 1. I guess I'll have to take it apart to determine if it's and oil problem or a parts problem.
The problem sounds exactly as you described. Like rocks rattling around and a slipping sound. I'll take some photos along the way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed and if so what ended up being the problem. Mine is doing the exact same thing and I changed the oil and that did not help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts