TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post on this forum. I've had a 2005 TW200 for a few years now and it's been a pleasure to ride. It was running fine until recently. I took it in to a local mechanic who pulled the carb apart and replaced bad O rings and it ran fine for a few months. It started easily, but recently it's been refusing to restart while hot. After a few times of that, it now doesn't seem to want to start at all.

I've pulled the plug to check for spark and find that there is a good spark, but only for two revolutions and then the engine continues to crank, but no spark is produced until I let off the starter and I see one more spark. The sparks are bright white/blue so not weak. Research on this forum lead me to believe that the battery was not supplying enough voltage during cranking to create a spark so I tightened/cleaned connections and fully charged the battery. It now cranks faster and stronger than ever, but the problem persists. Battery voltage remains around 12.4-12.5 even after attempting to start, so no problems there.

I ran through the ignition system troubleshooting in the service manual and all of the coils showed resistance within range. I have not tested any of the cutoff switches mentioned but I assume those would result in no spark at all.

All signs at this point are making me think the CDI box must have gone bad. Is there anything else I should check? If not, what's a good way to test the CDI? I'd like to know for sure before I spend ~$200 on a replacement. I will be pulling the CDI tonight and opening it up to check for any broken solder joints or burnt components, so it would be helpful to know if there is a common failure point in those.

Thanks for reading, I'm hoping one of you TW gurus will have seen this issue before.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
lumpee I hope you are able to solve this problem and you might be right about the CDI. Lots of TW owners have had a similar problem including myself. Mine has always started before I got the chance to diagnose it. Everyone will tell you that you need a super duty battery, spark plug, bigger jets etc but I have not heard of anyone actually diagnosing and fixing the problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,793 Posts
Similar to what Assquatch mentioned but my Pulser Coil (down by the stator) went bad. When it got hot it wouldn't start/run. Once cooled down it would start back up. It got worse as time went on and then it wouldn't start at all. I did swap out a known good ignition coil so that was ruled out. I then swapped a whole side cover w/stator/pulser coil and found the pulser coil was my problem.

The Pulser Coil would test ok when cold. I watched a Youtube video of a fellow showing that a pulser coil would test ok when cold and not when hot which led me to replace the Pulser Coil. It has run great every since.

Although it takes a bit to take apart if you have a buddy who has a Spare TW he/she could load you their Pulser Coil. A Pulser Coil cost $55 ish dollars at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC so you kind of want to make sure it's the coil before purchasing one just in case it's not another component.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got the new ignition coil and it did not fix the problem.

Can anybody check on their working bike what the output from the CDI is? When I put my meter on AC and go from the input on the ignition coil to ground I get around 7-8 volts AC as the reading while cranking, but it fluctuates a lot.

I'm going to try to get some readings to see if there is any voltage drop when cranking to the CDI/electronics before I order it. I also posted online locally to see if someone will let me borrow a CDI to test with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.