TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
mine will hold 65 with a bit more in reserve, gets there faster and doesn't sound like it is going to blow up! as lizrd pointed out: OD with granny gear AND more uummph to get around.
what's not to love?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, the gas tank isn't an easy retrofit.

The rear mount is a lot like our TWs:

TTRparts - 1.jpg

But the front mount is a bolt-on:

TTRparts - 2.jpg

And there's a top mount:

TTRparts - 3.jpg

That fits here:

TTRparts - 4.jpg

Like I said, not an easy retrofit... but not impossible!

The TTR225 tank is super sturdy, and holds a lot of fuel!

I'm going to stick with my XT350 tank, but the TTR225 tank could certainly be a viable option, depending on your fabrication skills!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also, am I seeing this right?

Is the engine attached to the the swing arm bolt?!?

TTRparts - 5.jpg

That's very inconvenient.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I found that removing the TW's swing arm made aligning the TTR engine easier. First I hung motor from the single top bolt, then the front and rear frame bolts. Once swing arm bolt aligned nicely with engine and frame dis I then re-install swing arm.

Reactions: CJ7Pilot

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I got the TTR torn down today. I haven't done this before, but it went pretty smoothly... and now I've got much more confidence for when I tear in to my TW!

I ended up with a couple of boxes of potentially usable (for my TW) parts:

Teardown - 1.jpg

One big un-usable part (lost title, back fees, not worth pursuing):

Teardown - 2.jpg

Parts to get rid of (the front end is spoken for):

Teardown - 3.jpg

Tank and plastics (front fender is spoken for, but it's it pretty bad shape):

Teardown - 4.jpg

Oh yeah... there's an engine, too! Now I can start moving this project along:

Teardown - 5.jpg

We're going to have a closer look at the engine, tomorrow.

Cheers! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, shoot... no kick starter for this engine (at least not during this build)!

clutch cover - 1.jpg

I spent most of the afternoon cleaning the engine (and scraping the gasket off the clutch cover), so not much more to see.

However, I showed this project to my son-in-law the other day, and he suggested that I pull the cylinder for a hone and re-ring, and maybe even a valve job. Not a bad plan for an unknown engine.

Fortunately, he's a mechanic for a Polaris/Yamaha dealer! They mostly deal with snowmobiles and ATVs, but he certainly has the ability to freshen this engine up. :thumbsup:

Also, while I have the clutch cover off, I'm thinking about replacing the clutch... any suggestions? :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
fwiw: i'd drill out the kickstarter while you have it apart, you won't regret having it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
fwiw: i'd drill out the kickstarter while you have it apart, you won't regret having it.
That hole is in the inner case, for the back end of the kick-start shaft. I can't drill that to size without completely disassembling the engine, and splitting the case.

If I go to that extent, then I'll completely waste the convenience of the counter-shaft extension.

I'm thinking about it, though. We all have our limits... and I'm still zeroing in on mine...! :p

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, here's how it looks today:

cylinder - 1.jpg

It seems to have been running rich, but it looks pretty good!

cylinder - 2.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the cross-hatch looks good, and there's no scoring on the cylinder walls.

I could have left this alone... but frankly, there's no better time to top-end an engine, than when it's sitting on the bench!

This would also be a good time to upgrade the cam... any suggestions? :dontknow:

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Looking good Steve, will have to come take a look at your progress sometime.
Back to post #28 and the observation of the apparently missing bearing surface for the inside end of the kick starter shaft. Not good. I haven't opened up the left clutch cover to transplant my kickstarter yet, figured I would wait until the new engine ran. Would like to know if there is a solution.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Looking good Steve, will have to come take a look at your progress sometime.
Back to post #28 and the observation of the apparently missing bearing surface for the inside end of the kick starter shaft. Not good. I haven't opened up the left clutch cover to transplant my kickstarter yet, figured I would wait until the new engine ran. Would like to know if there is a solution.
Well, there are XT cases on ebay, for less that the cost of machining a TTR case....

I'm exploring this route, but my TTR engine is in pretty good shape, so I'm reluctant to take it apart any further!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I bought a spare TW side cover to work with, so I don't have to take my running TW apart until the new engine is ready to swap in.

I was thinking about Placerlode's idea about adding a grease fitting to the case. I see where the oil passage was originally drilled, and the outside of it was plugged.

I pulled the plug out, and I think that might be a good place for a grease fitting:

bearing - 1.jpg

Here's the passage, with a q-tip running through it:

bearing - 2.jpg

The bearing in this case was very gritty, so I pulled it out using a variation of TWBrian's tool:

bearing - 3.jpg

Here's another shot of the oil passage, with a pipe cleaner for reference:

bearing - 4.jpg

If I decide to try the grease fitting, I'll have to block the oil passage leading in to the case with something more substantial than silicone. It will have to withstand the hydraulic pressure of greasing the bearing.

I'll let you know what I come up with. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Like CJ7Pilot I used a spare side cover.
Mine came off of the Mr.Gizmo bike and had the oil return passage sealed with what looks like JBWeld. It might also be a good solution for CJ7Pilot.
(Gerry made those modifications to the MrGizmo bike in order to tap into the oil flow at the bearing and re-direct it to an oil cooler; then a return line brought the oil back to the flywheel housing. This was done before the advent of the Lizard Cooler.)

Anyways point is I feel from experience that a slow set epoxy like JBWeld would work and resist both oil and temperature. The hole could also be tapped with threads for a sealing grub screw since the grease fitting will also likely be tapped for a zerk.

Reactions: CJ7Pilot

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I've decided to use a Wiseco 10.25/71mm piston for this build. Now I need to bore my 70mm cylinder out to 71mm....

Is it reasonable to do this at home (carefully) with a cylinder hone, or am I better off having a machine shop do it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Also, because I was despondent over the possibility of losing my kick starter ;), I found an "already machined" XT225 lower end and clutch cover!

It's not quite as clean as my TTR lower end, but the bearings are tight, and it shifts through all six gears.

My plan was to split the case and swap in all the TTR guts... but now I think I'm going to work with it as-is!

XTlower - 1.jpg

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Instead of just doing a hone and re-ring, I decided to go ahead with a fresh 71mm bore, and I ordered this little gem to go with it:

Wiseco - 1.jpg

I feel like I bought a piece of jewelry! There was more in the box than I expected :)thumbsup:), and when I found the piston wrapped inside a satin pouch, I almost laughed out loud!

Wiseco - 2.jpg

This seems to be a quality product though, and after seeing it up close, I feel a little better about the price.

I'm getting closer! I may start tearing down my TW tomorrow.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay, here's an odd observation... my TTR225 case has a 76mm bore for the cylinder skirt, but my XT225 case has a 78.5mm bore!

What's going on here? :dontknow:

The serial number checks out for an XT225, and it all looks the same as what I'd expect.

Did someone already try to make a big-bore out of this engine?

TTR case:

XTBore - 2.jpg

XT case:

XTBore - 1.jpg

The cylinder skirt bore to bolt hole distance is clearly visible in the photos.

Now I'm wondering if I should shoot for a larger cylinder! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Me thinks I see a TW250 6 speed in the making.:p

Those Wiseco pistons are indeed jewels compared to a stock piston. The engine I pulled out of Betty Boop has a Wisco and cylinder that elime prepped for me. Elime honed the cylinder at home and it has worked just fine for ~ 7,000 miles.

P.S. -Thanks for all the TTR carcass parts Steve, the forks are rebuilt so no longer drip fork oil everywhere.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts