TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I’m brand new to the forum and tw’s. I’ve always wanted one and bought new ‘19 model 2 weeks ago. Mine has 125 miles on it so far and I’ve noticed that if it sits cold for even a few hours often times I have to pull the clutch in and rock the bike to break the clutch plates loose before starting otherwise the bike will stall out whe I pull the clutch in and put it into first gear. I’ve never owned a new bike and wasn’t sure if this is normal or not. The clutch spring seems to be in the proper place and the free play is in spec. I’m using yamalube of that helps? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My thoughts rather than mechanical advice is: bring it back to the dealer for them to take care of it. I don't know where you live because you didn't include that information in your signature line (you should) so don't know what you mean by "cold"? But when we had 3 to 11 degree weather/temperatures a couple weeks ago my bike started, ran and performed fine. It's a pretty stock 2006.
My body, that's another story after only riding a mile or 2.

This is the second 2019 a new forum member had had issue with, a different issue. How the hell hard is it to for a dealer to prep one of these, they are so simple. It's a solution your dealer should be taking care of. When I do buy something new it isn't so I can learn to make it run. Don't let them off the hook. Concern could be if you do something to the bike and it's the wrong advice you maybe legally cutting them out of the responsibility picture.
If it was a brand-new car would you start working on the transmission yourself?
Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
It's pretty normal depending on the severity and your definition of cold and what choke setting you have initially. If the clutch works normally when warmed up and doesn't grab then, it will take until you have 1,500 miles on it and can then switch to full synthetic Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W40. Meanwhile, hold the front brake and bring the revs up a bit over idle before engaging first when cold.

Other than making sure the clutch return spring is in the correct position there isn't much the dealer could have done wrong.

f3c133ce.jpg

·
Registered
184 Posts
When cold my tw will jump into first even with the clutch pulled. Not enough to move the bike but you feel it load the drivetrain. This also means that the electric start won't start the bike if im in gear but have clutched pulled. I have to be in nuetral or kickstart it.
Once warm it's hardly audible.
Im using mobil synthetic.

That said, any bike I've ridden has done the same. This is just the first one with a pathetic starting system 🙂

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new 2019 tw200 I got in November. It does the same thing(sticky clutch cold at any temp). Once warm it is fine. I can not push the bike if it is in gear. It acts like I am not pulling the clutch in and will slide the rear tire. Once warm it is fine pushing in gear with the clutch pulled.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
My TW's had sticky clutches as you describe even with 20,000 plus miles on them. I switched to Barnett Kevlar clutches and never looked back. They cost twice as much and are worth it. However, on brand new bike I can only advise to grin and bear it. Its normal.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not that unusual for brand new bikes. The clutch just like everything else has to "break in". In cold weather especially, a heavy clunk/lurch that can even stall the motor isn't that uncommon. It should get better with time, but if it continues to do it warm or beyond the break in period, have the dealer investigate, might as well use the warranty. My Scout did that pretty badly out of the box, but after maybe 1000 miles the issue took care of itself and it'd roll around effortlessly in gear with the clutch pulled.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Not that unusual for brand new bikes. The clutch just like everything else has to "break in". In cold weather especially, a heavy clunk/lurch that can even stall the motor isn't that uncommon. It should get better with time, but if it continues to do it warm or beyond the break in period, have the dealer investigate, might as well use the warranty. My Scout did that pretty badly out of the box, but after maybe 1000 miles the issue took care of itself and it'd roll around effortlessly in gear with the clutch pulled.
mine was just like this, did fix it's self

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Page 3-16 of the service manual shows how to check adjustment of the clutch push lever. That might be worth checking on a new bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
it'll go away. My buddy's 2018 is like silk now it has 300km on it. Mine is freeing up with it's 40km on it. keep breaking in the bike. It will smoothen.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Me too....I mean yeah my 2015 has always been sticky when first started. Not every time but since I bought it it happens often. I believe the clutch plates get hot enough from the previous day for the oil to run off and when the bike sits cold the plates stick. It seems to me if you take longer in neutral to warm it and squeeze the clutch and roll the bike forward and back it can free the clutch plates.....Or maybe it was rolling forward and back in neutralwith engine running without squeezing the clutch...either way i sometimes break it free before it surprises me by taking off when I switch into 1st while still holding the clutch...lol

·
Registered
19,221 Posts
'tis normal. Just make sure clutch lever adjustment was not inadvertently set improperly during dealer assembly from the shipping crate. Clutch should be disengaged when lever is almost fully depressed. Adjustment is done with thumbwheel hidden under rubber cover at clutch lever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've also got a new 2019, does the same thing. I've got somewhere between 200-250 miles on it. Like others, if I let it warm up especially on half choke and give the clutch a couple of squeezes to encourage the plates to un-stick then it shifts into 1st smoothly......but it has surprised me a few times lurching into a stall!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
all 100% normal on any wet multi disc motorcycle clutch

this week I was starting Yamaha BW's that had not run for years and I have fun shifting into gear for the first time I rev the motor up and dump the clutch hoping to go for a pro stock motorcycle type launch but it's usually disappointing in that slightly higher RPM's when releasing the cold clutch lessens the "lurch" to pretty much zero

I have had a BW200 where the clutch stayed stuck for the first 10 minutes of riding but once soaked with oil it all freed up and worked as new again

·
Registered
306 Posts
Now that I’ve got some miles on my TW, I’m still having this problem... short of opening up any covers, thoroughly lubed the cable, lubed up the top of the push lever assembly, lubed clutch lever hinge area, changed out factory oil and filter, filled with yamalube 10w-40. It’s a 2019 and it’s not bad when it’s riding cold, after 10-15min of riding is when it starts getting noticeable, the longer I’m riding it gets more sticky, like immediate stall or come off the line super hard, kind of sticky....

Thoughts? Help! Lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
Now that I’ve got some miles on my TW, I’m still having this problem... short of opening up any covers, thoroughly lubed the cable, lubed up the top of the push lever assembly, lubed clutch lever hinge area, changed out factory oil and filter, filled with yamalube 10w-40. It’s a 2019 and it’s not bad when it’s riding cold, after 10-15min of riding is when it starts getting noticeable, the longer I’m riding it gets more sticky, like immediate stall or come off the line super hard, kind of sticky....

Thoughts? Help! Lol
A bit of a lurch on the first shift of the day isn't anything to worry about, but if it gets worse as you ride and is stalling the motor I'd be hauling it back to the dealer. That's not normal. Usually shifting gets smoother/easier as the oil warms up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's definitely something I have noticed on my 2019. I have just over 1300mi on my so far. I just pull the clutch in as I'm backing it out of my garage, and then let it out, then pull back in and move it forward a bit, then repeat back again. I don't have any issues after that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts