TW200 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi guys! I’m brand new to the forum and tw’s. I’ve always wanted one and bought new ‘19 model 2 weeks ago. Mine has 125 miles on it so far and I’ve noticed that if it sits cold for even a few hours often times I have to pull the clutch in and rock the bike to break the clutch plates loose before starting otherwise the bike will stall out whe I pull the clutch in and put it into first gear. I’ve never owned a new bike and wasn’t sure if this is normal or not. The clutch spring seems to be in the proper place and the free play is in spec. I’m using yamalube of that helps? Any thoughts?
Yeah, I’m another member where my 19 is super sticky. Gets worse when it warms up, and I have done evvvvveraythang. Cable lube, loosen cable nuts, slack and tension up cable at the lever, relube cable, hit the top of the push lever assembly with pb blaster, oiled up clutch lever... now it’s sticky, but in between those sticky points.... buttery smooth!

I just replaced my handlebars, and now the clutch feels different, but I also rejetted carb so until i get the mix dialed in, I haven’t ridden it long enough to tell if the latent stickyness of the clutch is still there.

Will be interesting to see if it had something to do with stress on the cable or related parts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah, I’m another member where my 19 is super sticky. Gets worse when it warms up, and I have done evvvvveraythang. Cable lube, loosen cable nuts, slack and tension up cable at the lever, relube cable, hit the top of the push lever assembly with pb blaster, oiled up clutch lever... now it’s sticky, but in between those sticky points.... buttery smooth!

I just replaced my handlebars, and now the clutch feels different, but I also rejetted carb so until i get the mix dialed in, I haven’t ridden it long enough to tell if the latent stickyness of the clutch is still there.

Will be interesting to see if it had something to do with stress on the cable or related parts.
Hmm, if it's getting worse when it gets warm, you may have a bigger issue? What I have experienced is apparently pretty common, but it definitely is no longer an issue ones the bike is warmed up. If I go on a decent ride somewhere and warm the bike up, and then come back, it generally is fine at that stage as well. Most of the time I am only experiencing the super sticky clutch after it's been sitting for a day or two. Good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I wonder if these clutch issues are linked to the "new" clutch plates I saw posted that apparently have superceded the old part # for TW clutches if you buy them from Yamaha. They have a notably different shape and weird asymmetrical design. Everyone with the sticky clutch issue seems to be on a '18 or '19 model.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/63322-oem-clutch-plate-question.html

Apples to bananas, but my old Vmax had a non-uniform clutch assembly. The frictions were marked with (very easy to miss) dimples at the 12 and 6 o clock positions, but otherwise appeared uniform. I missed these and just tossed the clutch stack back together. Right away, it just stalled upon clicking it into gear and generally had very poor action. very sticky, wanted to creep at idle, didn't even slightly release until the lever was almost to the bar. Looked into it, learned about the dimples, and pulled it apart, taking care to alternate the 1 dimple at 12 o clock and 2 dimples at 6 o'clock on the friction plates as said in the service book. Of course, problem was solved and the clutch now worked perfectly. Apparently, the thickness of the friction material varies across the disc, again for improved oil access, but a very slight amount you'd never notice with a casual look. You had to ensure a thick spot on one mated with a thin spot on the other, what the dimples were there to indicate to get the stack the correct height.

I wonder if some of these asymmetrical plates are not getting installed/oriented correctly at the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update I now have 1950 miles on my 2019 tw200 since February and I notice the sticky clutch less and less. Sometimes it does stick a little if you put it into first within seconds of a cold start after it has sat for a while. I also noted it happens less with Mobil 1 racing oil.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts