TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for these bikes or if I have a worn clutch / gear problem. When I am downshifting especially from second to first gear my gears seem really sticky. What I mean by that is that sometimes I have to keep tapping the shift lever with my toes to get it to drop down into first. This is annoying when I am riding around town and making frequent stops at stop signs. Is this a sign of a worn clutch? I don't see any metal frags in the oil filter during oil changes, I hope that's a good sign that my gears are ok? Anyone else have this problem? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

1990 TW with 4100 miles.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
What oil are you using? try the mobil synthetic.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
What oil are you using? try the mobil synthetic.
+1 to what mike said. when i switched to mobil 1 4t 10w40 it made a huge difference. that said, the tdub has been noted to be kinda clunky compared to other bikes.....

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Are you saying, you are trying to shift from 2nd gear to 1st gear while still moving?.The only time I shift down to 1st from 2nd is when I'm hardly moving.What speed are you experiencing this?. As stated above,chain slack (or lack there-of ),oil volume & type of oil (brand & oil weight ).

·
Registered
814 Posts
I too want to know the downshift speed your trying for 1st gear. I wait till i'm nearly stopped.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wait until nearly stopped before trying to get it into first gear. This is where I end up having to tap a few times to get it through neutral where it likes to hang up. Chain slack seems right on going by specs I read posted by some of the experts here on the forum. I use Yamalube oil so I'll try the Mobile Syn on my next change and post results. Quick question about clutch adjustment. With the bike engine off should the bike feel like it has a little drag when pushing it in first gear with clutch pulled in? That's how mine feels. Thanks for your responses...

·
Super Moderator
18,721 Posts
More drag than when it's in neutral and pushing it? The clutch plates in these bikes do bind up a little bit. I think mine probably feels about the same as yours, a slight slight drag. If they are all the way bound up, you gotta rock it to break them loose and it doesn't sound like that is your case.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In neutral it feels like it is free as it should but in gear there is this slight drag. Sounds like I am OK unless it starts binding bad. Maybe all of these things I'm noticing are just part of the clunky nature of these bikes as Joeband stated. Thank you for your response.

·
Super Moderator
18,721 Posts
Yeah, you're ok. It is the nature of the little beast.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
603 Posts
But don't forget the other part of what joeband said. The Mobil 1 synthetic will also reduce clutch drag. That was the reason I first started using it on my '83 KDX200 and have been using it ever since.

That said, all wet plate M/C clutches have at least some drag.

·
Super Moderator
14,340 Posts
Also, my TW has always been a tad hard to get into 1st gear, especially when the engine is warm and properly adjusted chain. As mentioned above, synthetic oil helped, but this condition didn't entirely go away. Reminds me of my old Harley Sportster, seems I had the same situation with it also.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Also, my TW has always been a tad hard to get into 1st gear, especially when the engine is warm and properly adjusted chain. As mentioned above, synthetic oil helped, but this condition didn't entirely go away. Reminds me of my old Harley Sportster, seems I had the same situation with it also.
Was it a '72 XLCH ? Mine had a crunchy first gear as I recall. That thing gave me a limp that I still have today:D

·
Super Moderator
14,340 Posts
Was it a '72 XLCH ? Mine had a crunchy first gear as I recall. That thing gave me a limp that I still have today:D
Naw, mine was a 94 Evo. I got to avoid the limp with the invention of the secret button. :D However, now that you mention it, my right hip doesn't have the same motion range anymore, but I'll blame it on the SR500 that I had.

Interesting that you older model XLCH and my Evo Model have a similar going into 1st issue as the TW. Course the TW technology is on par with our year Harley's.

·
Super Moderator
18,721 Posts
My 06 XL is certainly better than they used to be, but it is still that huge noisy clunk as it drops in.

Reactions: r80rt and admiral

·
Registered
592 Posts
If your stopping in second gear with clutch in its gonna get hung up...Just shift from second to first when your slowly rolling. It will shift into first nice and smooth this way

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Think about it. When pushing the bike in low gear, if it were running how many times would the engine have to turn to get it that far. When you push it in low every mechanism between the sprocket and the crankshaft have to move. Those clutchplates are spinning pretty fast with just a film of oil separating them, that is where the biggest drag is, especially when the oil is cold. With stock sprockets on pavement, why even use low gear unless you have a passenger or weigh 350.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You meen we could start out in second gear?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You meen we could start out in second gear?
We can not? :eek:

I start in second gear most of the time..! of course on Pavement..!
When i'm on-road i rarely uses the first gear..! But you will definitely need the first gear when riding trails..!
Is it a bad practice to start in Second?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts