TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I was amazed at how much stiffer my front forks are with the proper oil level. I may need to remove the 3/4" spacer.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm pretty sure that ProCycle contracts Race Tech to make the fork springs for them.

May I ask you to explain what is troubling you in further detail? Generally, since the TW uses small diameter forks and cheap ol' tech of a damper rod system for dampening along with stock springs designed to hold light Japanese people, we find the TW suspension to be...crap. The weak springs cause the nose to dive while braking, yet the damper rods make for a harsh jarring experience on potholes and other obstacles.

The good news is that it can be improved, and vastly so if you're willing to put in the time and expense to dial it in for you. Yes, there are some things that can help on the cheap, like oil level adjustments and preload caps or spacers, but if you do it right with spring adjustment or swap to get the preload just right and emulators, you won't believe the improvement!

What is the weight the bike carries most of the time with you, your protective gear, tools, lunch, cell phone, camping stuff, CPR doll or whatever you normally loadout with? My unscientific observations are that the stock front springs can work to about 200lbs., the PC medium springs 200-250lbs., and the PC heavy springs 250lbs.+.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Who is Sebastian?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been happy with my Hyperpro.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Air Springs are cheap and infinitely tuneable ...

I got some valves, had the caps drilled and tapped. Been running them for years, 10psi each leg. Also run 15W oil a bit higher than stock. Great feel.

No front end dive during normal braking on the street with this setup. :D

DSC02102.JPG DSC02103.JPG

·
Registered
552 Posts
Air Springs are cheap and infinitely tuneable ...

I got some valves, had the caps drilled and tapped. Been running them for years, 10psi each leg. Also run 15W oil a bit higher than stock. Great feel.

Interesting idea.
Is everything else in the shock already air tight? Any down sides to it?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting idea.
Is everything else in the shock already air tight? Any down sides to it?
Fork is air tight. Holds air forever. Top it off once a year it seems.

Down side, none really.

Just remember the damping rod fixed orifices are still small. This air cap mod doesn't eliminate fast compression harshness of the stock fork. It is strictly a spring upgrade.

I did it to stop the fork from diving badly under braking.

I've jumped my TW with 10lbs pressure in each leg many times and never blown a seal or air valve and I weigh 220lbs!

This mod has been safe and reliable for me, your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts